Buy A New Fortius Disk to Update??

VR World questions

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

Buy A New Fortius Disk to Update??

Postby rkraemer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:50 am

I would like to know what procedure to use to Cleanly install the latest version of the Fortius software, v2.03, from a new disk which I will gladly purchase, after numerous hours and failed attempts to do a sequential update using the update files found on the Tacx VR website. I have found elsewhere on this forum, the following post by Fortius Magical Man, how to save my stored RLV's and rides, and remove all of the exisiting Tacx Program and registry Files.

http://tacxforum.ilink.nl/viewtopic.php ... light=5005

Can someone confirm this procedure has worked for them before I do it?

For the record, here is what I did that resulted in a failed update and degenerated program functionality.

After 3.5 hours trying to update from Fortius 1.34VR/1.32 Menus by attempting to install each and every update and receiving error messages virtually every step of the way, now none of the VR courses load from the menu and Catalyst doesn't work at all. Here is exactly what I did.

1) From the tacxvr website copied the 4 current menu updates onto 4 disks.
2) Copied the 4 VR updates onto another 4 disks.
3) Inserted menu 2.00, installed fine.
4) Inserted VR2.00, error message:

Feature Transfer Error
Feature-Default Feature
File: E:\Fortius3.00.exe.

Clicked OK and kicked to desktop, loading unsuccessful.

5) Attempted to load VR2.01, error message:

Setup has detected that version 1.33 of Fortius is already installed. You have to uninstall the previous version before you install this vesion.

6) Attempted to load Menu 2.01, error message:

Runtime Error
This application cannot run using the active version of .Net Runtime. Please contact the application support team.

7) Loaded Menu 2.02 version, error message:

Feature Transfer Error
Feature-Default Feature
File: E:\Fortius3.00.exe.

Rebooted the computer.

9) Used Windows Explorer to try to find and delete Fortius Version 1.33 so I could update the VR. I could not positively identify the file. So I deleted what I thought could be it.

a. Deleted the Fortius Application file in the TacxFortius folder
b. Deleted the FortiusVR file in the Imagic folder
c. Deleted the Fortius file in the Imagic folder.
d. Deleted the Fortius File in the TacxFortius folder.
e. Deleted the Fortius Imagic file from the registry.

10) Attempted to update once again with the error message:
Must remove version 1.33.000 before installing this version.

11) I deleted the entire TacxFortius Folder and its contents and pasted back the backup copy I had made before I started.

12) For some reason, I lost the Fortius Main Menu, so I loaded the update version 2.00 whch installed fine and added the Multiplayer bar. But now when I select VR I get kicked back to my desktop. And Catalyst doesn't work as stated earlier.

13) I used the system restore utility to restore my computer to a point before I made this mess. But I lost the Real Life Video bar on the Fortius Menu. So I restored back and installed the Menu Update 2.00 again so at least I have the RLV's.

I still would like to update so that I can use the VR courses and install the new Extreme MTB. I realize I did not go about this correctly. My computer knowledge is limited. I still have the original Fortius disk Version 1.30. What I am considering is deleting the entire TacxFortius Folder and Files including the registry files and starting from a BRAND NEW Fortius Program Disk v2.03.

This would seem to be the simplest and quickest solution. But do I have to delete the exisiting version first following Fortius Magical Man's suggested procedure? And if I delete the Fortius completely, can I start w/v1.30 and do an online update connecting to the internet and just click on on-line update to get me to the same latest version? Since I am not computer savy, I need detailed step by step instructions. Any help for updating and restoring a completely functioning Fortius program would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rkraemer

Postby mcorn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:40 am

Sorry to hear about the problems. Not sure why you are burning the updates to a disc. All you have to do is download them to an appropriately labeled folder on your PC so it is easy to find. The last installation I did, I started with Version 1.33 and progressed to Version 2.03 without problems. Prior to running the update files, I made sure that DirectX 9, .NET 1.1 and Visual C++ (each with SP1) were already installed. I did not open the Fortius software until the last update was finished. Some of the updates also contain .NET and C++, so it doesn't matter if that part does not run, which may the source of some of your error messages. I also do not understand the Fortius3.00 exe message. I did not think there was any kind of file with that name. Did you rename the files?

You should have started with 1.33 and then applied 8 updates (4 menu and 4 VR) to get to 2.03. You apply menu first and then VR for each version.

You cannot delete a program simply by deleting the Program Files folder. You have to make changes to the Windows Registry informing the Operating System that the program is no longer installed. You can either do that through the Registry to delete Fortius and Tacx entries or you can download a Windows Cleanup Uninstall Utility from Microsoft.

If you want to order a Version 2.03 install disc, you can do so from the Tacx website, but of course the next time there is a new update, it will not be current:

http://www.tacx.com/onlineshop/index.ph ... 4c7f1ebcb1

I do agree that it would be preferable to have a simpler install system.
mcorn

Postby rkraemer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi mcorn,
Thanks for the response. I burned the update files to disk using another computer because the Tacx computer is not connected to the internet and it would be a hassle to do so. When I deleted some of the program files, I also deleted all of the registry files for Tacx and Fortius. And I did not rename any files and always keep the suggested folder names. Without further instructions, here is what I am considering.

1) Buy a new Fortius Disk.
2) Follow save RLV's and Delete current Fortius Version according to Fortius Magical Man's Instructions outlined in link posted above. A long and tedious process.
3) Load the New Fortius Disk Version 2.03.
4) Replace the saved RLV's to the original folder.

I think, but do not know, that this will give me a working Fortius program.

As an alternative, if I connect the computer to the internet and try the on-line update, do you think that may work, given the files I have removed in my first attempt? Any insight is greatly appreciated. I just want my Fortius working 100%. Happy New Year!! :D
rkraemer

Postby mcorn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:01 pm

What you are suggesting should work, although it is probably easier just to reinstall the RLV's. You can try connecting online and updating. It really can't get much worse.

Sometimes the easiest thing to do on this is to reformat your harddrive and completely reinstall Windows so you are sure you have a clean installation. It often takes more time and effort to track down problems in a Windows installation rather than starting over.

If your computer is not connected to the Internet, how do you ensure that you have a complete, up-to-date Windows installation. There are weekly releases. Are you sure that you have the latest DirectX, .NET 1.1 and Visual C++ installed?
mcorn

Postby rkraemer » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:43 am

Hey mcorn,
Fortius Update Success!! :D Here is what I did...

0) First made a back up copy of TacxImagic Folder and all of its contents just in case I had problems.
1) Lugged computer, monitor and keyboard upstairs to an internet connection.
2) Updated Fortius software by going to Start, Programs, TacxFortius, Online Update.
3) Did the update option recommended on Tacx site. (this steps you through each update, so I ran online update repeatedly until I reached version 2.03 of Menus and VR. (received a .Net Runtime incompatability error message but I clicked OK and the update continued)
4) After completing the Fortius update I updated to Windows SP3, .Net3.5 and DirectX 9.0.
5) Lugged the computer back to the basement.
6)Voila!!!! A 100% working Fortius program with all of the VR, Catalyst, Analyser and RLV's working perfectly.

What a way to start the new year! Thanks mcorn for the valuable advice.
And thanks Tacx for the updates and an AWESOME product!
Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.
Bob Kraemer :)
rkraemer

Postby mcorn » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:52 am

Glad to hear you were successful. My guess is the DirectX9 is what you needed. SP3 is also a very major Winidows update and actually incorporates over a 1,000 hotfixes (some of which may or may not affect your particular computer). SP3 also as a number of important updates, including significant performance improvement (about 10% better).
mcorn

Return to Fortius VR Terrains