Streaming

https://www.microsoft.com/nl-be/store/p ... 40kx?rtc=1

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

afnug

Streaming

Post by afnug » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Is there any information when streaming will be available ? I would prefer this model as it saves filling my hard drive, I have a decent internet connection so streaming is not a problem for me, any info appreciated.

mcorn

Re: Streaming

Post by mcorn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:52 pm

afnug wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:26 pm
Is there any information when streaming will be available ? I would prefer this model as it saves filling my hard drive, I have a decent internet connection so streaming is not a problem for me, any info appreciated.
I have not heard any discussion of streaming video files. I think streaming video files at a variable rate to reflect the speed you are riding at might present some technical challenges. Streaming the same video over and over again is pretty inefficient as there is a cost to steaming which is being incurred each time you do the same thing again. The easiest solution to your problem is to buy an expensive 1 to 2 TB USB external hard drive.

afnug

Post by afnug » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for the reply, it was just that I saw it mentioned in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=590&t=35292&sid=40a6d7a ... 6b#p210130

I have tried various platforms that use streaming.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 pm

afnug wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:51 pm
Thanks for the reply, it was just that I saw it mentioned in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=590&t=35292&sid=40a6d7a ... 6b#p210130

I have tried various platforms that use streaming.
But so far have heard nothing more than Phil's comment.

Have you been on a platform where there was variable rate video streaming? That was what I was wondering about. I am sure there are ways of doing it technically (buffering, etc.). Typical video streams play the video at a constant rate, but with cycling, the playback rate varies with the bike speed.

But if this is ride you want to repeat, why stream the same thing over and over? Movie streaming is typically done for a single viewing, but of course it can be more often than that.

afnug

Post by afnug » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:19 pm

mcorn wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 pm

But so far have heard nothing more than Phil's comment.

Have you been on a platform where there was variable rate video streaming? That was what I was wondering about. I am sure there are ways of doing it technically (buffering, etc.). Typical video streams play the video at a constant rate, but with cycling, the playback rate varies with the bike speed.

But if this is ride you want to repeat, why stream the same thing over and over? Movie streaming is typically done for a single viewing, but of course it can be more often than that.
I used Bkool for a while, no problems with streaming at variable rates, same with Rouvy and Big Ring VR, I was very surprised when I had to first download a film to use TDA, I do like the quality of the TDA films and hope they come up with a streaming option.

Its just the way I like to use cycling simulators, get on the trainer pick a ride and go without the hassle of pre planning a download, it works well with other platforms so I am sure Tacx could crack it, but I am not holding my breath, I am still waiting for Ant+ connection in TDA.

Perhaps Phil could comment on what he has heard.
Last edited by afnug on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Ive not heard anything either Im afraid, I know they are developing it but if they were getting close Im fairly sure I would have heard something as TDA video is all rendered at a constant quality level, while streaming would require a fixed bitrate version of the film collection...unless they are able to do some buffering which would be ideal..then it could run the films in the collection right now & there will not be a huge reduction in quality in highly detailed parts of the ride.

afnug

Post by afnug » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:26 pm
Ive not heard anything either Im afraid, I know they are developing it but if they were getting close Im fairly sure I would have heard something as TDA video is all rendered at a constant quality level, while streaming would require a fixed bitrate version of the film collection...unless they are able to do some buffering which would be ideal..then it could run the films in the collection right now & there will not be a huge reduction in quality in highly detailed parts of the ride.
Thanks for clarification Phil, please update this thread if you hear anything more.

Return to “Tacx Desktop app (TDA)”