Questions on subscription model

https://www.microsoft.com/nl-be/store/p ... 40kx?rtc=1

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

Zouf

Questions on subscription model

Post by Zouf » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:05 am

As bike trainer usage is, for some of us, a seasonal activity, it would be useful to know the subscription policy regarding payment/account suspension and reactivation. Does TDA subs allow the user to suspend the payments and app availability for a few months and then return back with previous data still available?

mcorn

Re: Questions on subscription model

Post by mcorn » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:15 am

Zouf wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:05 am
As bike trainer usage is, for some of us, a seasonal activity, it would be useful to know the subscription policy regarding payment/account suspension and reactivation. Does TDA subs allow the user to suspend the payments and app availability for a few months and then return back with previous data still available?
Here are links to the Terms and Conditions and other information, which do not precisely answer your question:

https://cloud.tacx.com/terms_en.html
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... bscription
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... bscription

I don't think you lose your data, but I believe the monthly download count starts over if you resubscribe. If you have already downloaded a particular video, you wouldn't have to download it again, but I think it would count against your monthly allowance. Perhaps someone else has a link to a more detailed explanation of the subscription program.

You can also send an email to support@tacx.com.

Zouf

Post by Zouf » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:14 am

Support confirmed that you can suspend (only at the end of the current paid period, so month or year), that your data is still available on the cloud if you suspend your subscription, and that you can resume when you want. This is good, it would cut the annual cost by two since I avoid the trainer in the summer.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:10 am

remember you get 2 months for free with an annual subscription...may make it worthwhile for those freaky rainy periods in the summer, plus your supporting the product which is good for the products development :wink:

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:43 pm

I am not 100% sure, but I think the maximum monthly video count resets if you suspend and resubscibe.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:58 pm

If you take a year subscription you can download 2x more films then actually exist....its not about downloading as many as possible its about actually riding as many as possible. They will have streaming at some point this winter, at that point then you could ride 10 films a day if you wanted to.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:58 pm
If you take a year subscription you can download 2x more films then actually exist....its not about downloading as many as possible its about actually riding as many as possible. They will have streaming at some point this winter, at that point then you could ride 10 films a day if you wanted to.
Yes, I think you are right, but if you suspend your subscription, then you restart the monthly limit from the time you resubscribe. So, even though you do not need to re-download a video previously downloaded, you may be not be able to use it as you may bump up against the monthly limit. Which is a long way of saying that you may be better off with the yearly deal, which gives you a couple of free months compared to the monthly rate.

AlexanderPerdon

Post by AlexanderPerdon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 pm

mcorn wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:10 pm
Tacx Video Production wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:58 pm
Yes, I think you are right, but if you suspend your subscription, then you restart the monthly limit from the time you resubscribe. So, even though you do not need to re-download a video previously downloaded, you may be not be able to use it as you may bump up against the monthly limit. Which is a long way of saying that you may be better off with the yearly deal, which gives you a couple of free months compared to the monthly rate.
"cheap is expensive" ;)

Zouf

Post by Zouf » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 pm

mcorn wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:10 pm
I'm not 100% clear on how the video download limit works. Is it how many different videos you can download in a month, or how many you can ride, or? If it's pure download, after 3 months you could have 90 different runs to play with, I don't see how you could subsequently hit a limit?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Zouf wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 pm

I'm not 100% clear on how the video download limit works. Is it how many different videos you can download in a month, or how many you can ride, or? If it's pure download, after 3 months you could have 90 different runs to play with, I don't see how you could subsequently hit a limit?
My understanding is there is a limit on how many you can download in a month. As long as your subscription is continuously in place, you can use all the videos you have previously downloaded. But if you cancel your subscription and then resubscribe, everything is reset and at the start of the re-subscription, you can only use the videos you are entitled to download in the first month.

The only thing you avoid by the suspend and re-subscribe is having to re-download videos.

Anyway, I do not speak for Tacx and this is my current understanding. Unfortunately, the subscription agreement, terms of use, and subscription agreement do not clearly spell all of this out, but I think suspending your subscription in effect is like starting over other than avoiding the actual re-downloading of files you already have.

If I am incorrect, maybe someone will straighten this out or perhaps Tacx can add an FAQ on this specific issue.

Zouf

Post by Zouf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:03 am

Ok - then it would mean worst case no more than 30 different videos on the first month after a reset, which is still 3x what I have now on TTS4 - so still a good deal. My trainer season is really November to March inclusive, so 5 months @ 10€, not like I need a second mortgage. That’s like 2 films in the old model.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:48 am

Zouf wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:03 am
Ok - then it would mean worst case no more than 30 different videos on the first month after a reset, which is still 3x what I have now on TTS4 - so still a good deal. My trainer season is really November to March inclusive, so 5 months @ 10€, not like I need a second mortgage. That’s like 2 films in the old model.
If your point of comparison is having no more than 10 different videos to ride, then TDA should look pretty good. One minor thing to keep in mind is the TTS videos tend to be longer than the TDA ones, so it is not a completely comparable comparison.

chrisreb

Post by chrisreb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 pm

Would also welcome clarity as cannot find anything. If I have a number of films downloaded is the limit 30 films with unlimited riding of them or 30 rides total in a month?

Or as another example - I download a film and I ride it once. If I want to ride the same film a second time do I effectively download it again so it counts as 2 towards the my 30 per month?

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 pm

It’s just a 30 ride download limit per month, you can ride them all day every day as many times as you like if you have the legs once you have the video files on your PC....until your subscription ends.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 pm

chrisreb wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 pm
Would also welcome clarity as cannot find anything. If I have a number of films downloaded is the limit 30 films with unlimited riding of them or 30 rides total in a month?

Or as another example - I download a film and I ride it once. If I want to ride the same film a second time do I effectively download it again so it counts as 2 towards the my 30 per month?
Once you download a video, you can ride it as many times as you want as long as the subscription is current. Monthly limit applies to the number of video downloads, not the number of rides.

chrisreb

Post by chrisreb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Great thank you!

Return to “Tacx Desktop app (TDA)”