ANT+ Connection broken

http://www.tacx.com/en/products/software/ant-open

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

Smidstrup

ANT+ Connection broken

Post by Smidstrup » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:09 pm

I just bought a new Tacx Neo Smart, and I connect to my Garmin 935 forerunner watch. The cadence and watt sensor devices connects right away, however once in a while the signal does away for some time to reappear again.

https://ibb.co/kSZQWp

I have attached a screenshot of my record cadence and watt for a steady state run for about 10 minutes. As you can see that the signal drops from time to time, render the data more or less useless. I have repeated the experiment with the watch both being placed next to the bike, on my wrist or a table next to the trainer.

What can I do to fix this?

Best regards, S
Last edited by Smidstrup on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smidstrup

Re: ANT+ Connection broken

Post by Smidstrup » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:39 pm

I also tested with my Tacx Utility app, that the RPM also drops to zero in that one, while I maintain a steady flow.
Last edited by Smidstrup on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:29 pm

Have you tried your Neo with no other devices accessing it other than Tacx software. It is possible that having ANT+ multiple devices trying to access the Neo at the same time might create a problem. It really should work, but in order to isolate the problem, I would try running the Neo only with the Tacx software. If it still drops data, then it might be a problem with the Neo.

Have you confirmed with the Tacx utility app that you have latest firmware for the Neo?

Smidstrup

Post by Smidstrup » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:49 pm

In the utility app under the testing dashboard, if I run the pedal with my hands slow, while only using the phone app, the watt meter shows a constant value and is steady, however the rpm drops from time to time, while the watt meter continues to work.

The Taxc Utility appears says the firmware is up to date

:(

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:30 am

Smidstrup wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:49 pm
In the utility app under the testing dashboard, if I run the pedal with my hands slow, while only using the phone app, the watt meter shows a constant value and is steady, however the rpm drops from time to time, while the watt meter continues to work.

The Taxc Utility appears says the firmware is up to date

:(
From your graph, it looks like both power and cadence dropouts. The watt meter might look steady with the utility app due to averaging or smoothing, so I would contact either the dealer where you bought the Neo or send an email to support@tacx.com

P.S. When you use the utility app, are you making a Bluetooth connection rather than ANT+? If not, have you tried Bluetooth?

Smidstrup

Post by Smidstrup » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 am

I am not sure how to exact tell the different on which protocol that it connects, but my guess is that it is using blue tooth with my phone.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:22 am

Maybe, on the contrary, you should try the penultimate firmware:
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... er-version

By the way, the correct writing of the brand is "Tacx", not "Taxc".
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Smidstrup

Post by Smidstrup » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks I will try this and let you know if that works.

I will do a search and replace "Taxc" with "Tacx" :)

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Smidstrup wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 am
I am not sure how to exact tell the different on which protocol that it connects, but my guess is that it is using blue tooth with my phone.
Your mobile device and the software tell you which protocol you are using. While almost all mobile devices have Bluetooth, many mobile devices do not have ANT+.

Smidstrup

Post by Smidstrup » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:12 pm

I have tried to downgrade the fireware, but then it was not able to boot.
I upgraded to the newest firmware, and it was able to boot again, but the problem persist.

While accessing the Testing dashboard from my phone using bluetooh, the RPM still drops to zero once ever 30 seconds or so and remains for 10-15 seconds.

I guess there is not many other options that return it to the shop, but do I dare to buy the same model again?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Besides contacting the dealer where you bought it, you can contact support@tacx.com. It does sound like there could be something wrong with the brake. I do not have a Neo, but my impression is it is generally well-regarded. Even so, sometimes a defective product gets released.

One other test you could do is to download the free Tacx Desktop Application (TDA) and demos to see if it works with that. In order to run TDA, you do need a Windows 10 PC with Bluetooth.

I noticed that there are quite a few reports of Neo cadence issues. One solution, which I have on my trainers, is to get a separate speed/cadence sensor, which will be highly accurate. I use a Wahoo Bluetooth/ANT+ speed/cadence sensor. It works very well and sends out both BT and ANT+ simultaneously, so you can use it in a mixed environment. I simultaneously use the Bluetooth signal with TDA and the ANT+ signal with a Garmin handlebar computer.

Here are some links on Neo cadence problems (I am sure you can Google for more):

viewtopic.php?t=33380
viewtopic.php?t=30302
viewtopic.php?t=26008
https://forums.zwift.com/t/cadence-keep ... cx/1431/13

Smidstrup

Post by Smidstrup » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:44 pm

I managed to do a test in another way - namely only using the training app.

https://ibb.co/gwb32U

As one can see, while the speed remains constant, the RPM drops from time to time, but I also notices something - the RPM also jumps up.

I tried support, but that was a really dead end - got a nonsense answer about heart rate monitoring not being supported.

Smidstrup

Post by Smidstrup » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Just a follow-up - after getting it replaced with a new Neo Smart everything worked like it should.

Return to “ANT+ Open Complete freedom using your software of choice”