TT4 or desktop app

General Questions

Moderators: malfukt, Steve Newton, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz, Fortius Magical Man

bonoeuf

TT4 or desktop app

Post by bonoeuf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 am

What is the difference? I have a neo and want something other than Zwift. Do both the TT$ and desktop app control the neo? Can't seem to find the answers.
Bonoeuf

Alex Masalovich

Re: TT4 or desktop app

Post by Alex Masalovich » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:17 pm

The differences are very significant in many respects:
https://tacx.com/product/tacx-software/
https://tacx.com/product/tacx-trainer-software-4/
Both programs are suitable for Neo.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:24 am

The Tacx Desktop App is getting some massively cool new features this year, some of them will start to be drip fed into it in the next weeks. tacx have stopped all development of TTS4 but will keep supporting it this winter.

TDA will eventually have everything you have in TTS4 minus the VR terrain plus a lot more. The main difference is you have direct access to a massive library of Tacx quality Simulation films that would cost many €1000s to replicate in TTS4 with buying each ride. But in the next few months Im guessing the social aspect of TDA will become another big difference :wink:

So to sum up TDA is about to start getting some major new features & its going to have loads of new rides ;-) if you can run TDA then I feel that its already massively better value then TTS4 if you value having a vast choice & quality (rides are higher quality also then in TTS4 due to the better codec but also it has a broader more recent collection of routes made with better gear)

DavidBuck

Post by DavidBuck » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:24 am
The Tacx Desktop App is getting some massively cool new features this year, some of them will start to be drip fed into it in the next weeks. tacx have stopped all development of TTS4 but will keep supporting it this winter.
Bad news....

I only use the VR, the videos tend to be the same every time I ride :)

If Tacx have stopped development, it may force users onto a different platform, and once they are there and presumably paying a monthly fee, why choose to pay twice ?

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:40 pm

DavidBuck wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:40 pm
Tacx Video Production wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:24 am
Bad news....

If Tacx have stopped development, it may force users onto a different platform, and once they are there and presumably paying a monthly fee, why choose to pay twice ?
Development for TTS4 actually more or less stopped some years ago, but the product is has been supported & will continue to be supported even though it may become a little harder to find on the Tacx website. I feel fairly sure that if you liked RLV or Google Earth based rides in TTS4 then you will love the new Tacx software. If you liked the VR in TTS4 then its still there & there are some alternatives to it out there like Zwift. Its really not a problem to like VR & pay a subscription for Zwift etc. The main thing is you do it on a Tacx trainer & your having some fun.

The idea of the new Tacx software is to offer an alternative to VR, if you like VR then TDA (Tacx desktop App) is not for you, although you should at least download it as its got a load of free rides you can do, the app is free & there are a lot of new features going in soon such as massive multiplayer, GPX based 3D maps, workouts. There are a good number of riders that need things to be realistic, they want to see actual rides with the millions of things that mother nature has created, TDA is for these type.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:57 pm

DavidBuck wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Odd comment to me. I find the VR much more repetitious with fewer selections while the videos have a lot more variety. In addition, there are many economically-priced third-party videos for TTS in addition to the current Tacx sale prices.

But I would be fairly reluctant to make a new large investment in TTS today. Besides the fact there will be no new features for TTS, the product is in legacy status, which means there will be a day when it will no longer function in a current version of Windows. This will most likely occur when there is a major change in Windows or some other program that TTS depends upon to operate and Tacx elects not to make expensive bug fixes needed to keep TTS working on a current operating system. It is very hard to know what this timeline will be. It is very unlikely to happen within a year and it might go a lot longer.

Some people might try to extend TTS by locking down a Windows 7 PC dedicated to TTS, but that may not be a solution either. If you continue to apply W7 security updates, which are pretty essential, that could cause a problem. But the bigger issue is you can end up not being able to validate a license, which is necessary for TTS to work.

wasupwitdat1

Post by wasupwitdat1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 am

I love VR, particularly Tacx's VR. They finally got TTS right. Just so things don't change, I am lucky enough to have a rocking PC with a Windows 7 operating system dedicated to the trainer. I quit connecting the PC to the internet so nothing will change and I can rely on it working. The down side being I can not do any multiplayer type interactions as people are doing in Zwift, but I don't use Zwift so it's not a issue. I can ride against my own saved rides which can be challenging since I am getting older and my performance is going the other direction now. If I want the social interaction and live racing I have been a beta tester for Road Grand Tours, a VR simulator that will offer online racing with a subscription, and it looks friggin amazing. I'm not going to comment about Real Videos because that's a whole different animal that nobody has seemed to get right yet in my opinion and the future of it being interactive sounds nice but it would take a lot of convincing to get me to accept it.
NEO W2017
TTS4 4.22.7.0
Sony 49X900E 4K TV
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
Intel i7 3770 @ 3.9 GHz
16Gb Ram @ 1600 MHz
Nvidia GTX 980 4095 GDDR5 Mem
Samsung 840 Pro 256G Hard Drive
Corsair 860 PSU
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Return to “General”