Vibration and loud grinding noise on Tacx Neo (T2800)

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz

dangermouze

Vibration and loud grinding noise on Tacx Neo (T2800)

Post by dangermouze » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi all,

I purchased a Tacx Neo Smart (T2800). After assembling the cassette and the bike I started riding the bike and I noticed a vibration in my pedals and this loud grinding noise coming from the trainer. It becomes louder as I push the pedals (the more powerful, the louder the noise).

I can ensure it's not coming from the bike. I put the wheel again and went for a 5 mins ride and I couldn't here any noise. In three years the bike has always worked smoothly.

I have tried re-assembling the cassette from scratch, greasing the freehub body as indicated in the Tacx support page, using different postures in the bike, and nothing. The noise is still there. I have searched in the forums but aparently the only solution other users have found is returning it and getting a new one. However, sometimes the problem happens with a new one.

Could anybody help with this?

dangermouze

Re: Vibration and loud grinding noise on Tacx Neo (T2800)

Post by dangermouze » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Solves! Just in case it helps someone, I'll post my solution here. It turns out that the cassette was somehow badly aligned with the chain because I used the spacer that comes in the box with the trainer (the 1-mm-width ring that goes between the trainer and the cassette). I disassembled my wheel, took off my spacer (which is ~2mm wide), also the cassette, and pluged it in the trainer. No noises anymore.

So, lesson learned. It you hear a grinding noise in your Neo, check the alignment between the cassette and the chain. Try different spacers until you get to remove the noise. I hope this can help someone in the future.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”