TDA does not export elevation data

https://www.microsoft.com/nl-be/store/p ... 40kx?rtc=1

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Nasz, Lunatix

lnebel

TDA does not export elevation data

Post by lnebel » Tue May 01, 2018 8:47 am

A few days ago TDA stopped exporting elevation data to Strava. The activity is exported but it is flat and elevation gain is zero.

Also, when exporting to a tcx file from Tacx Cloud, the file does not contain any elevation data. This is not a new error though.

Am I the only one experiencing these issues?

Lars

itboffin

Re: TDA does not export elevation data

Post by itboffin » Tue May 01, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm having the same problem, was fine last week

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue May 01, 2018 5:05 pm

I think this has been reported and is being reviewed.

awillemsen

Post by awillemsen » Wed May 02, 2018 4:10 am

I had the same problem yesterday as well.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Wed May 02, 2018 12:50 pm

Its being fixed & the fix should result in much better data then there was before in Strava if they are now not replacing the data with their Landsat.

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Thu May 03, 2018 6:32 am

Until this gets sorted, a poor-man's fix to restore altitude is to up the ride to Strava w/ 0 hm, import it back from there as a gpx and up it to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation, save as a gpx and reload that file to to Strava (don't forget to change it back to a "virtual ride").

lnebel

Post by lnebel » Thu May 03, 2018 8:14 am

Yes, gpsvisualizer will give you elevation but you will loose heart rate, power, cadence, and possibly other data.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu May 03, 2018 8:49 am

You can try to export from the Tacx Cloud as .tcx, import to (probably any) training data program but Strava (ie, training focus, not GPS/mapping focus), apply its „elevation correction“ tool (if needed, change ride type to „street“, „outdoor“ or whatever), export and import to Strava. Not 100.00 % sure, but I think you could do this with Garmin Connect (free) even if you don‘t own a Garmin device. I use Garmin Connect and Sporttracks, both can add elevation data to a training data file.

lnebel

Post by lnebel » Thu May 03, 2018 9:04 am

As I reported in the original post, the export to tcx from Tacx Cloud is broken too - it contains no elevation data. I think the file export was broken even before the Strave export broke:

<Trackpoint>
<Time>2018-05-02T14:16:59.000Z</Time>
<Position>
<LatitudeDegrees>45.2089958190918</LatitudeDegrees>
<LongitudeDegrees>6.260704040527344</LongitudeDegrees>
</Position>
<DistanceMeters>5881.6</DistanceMeters>
<HeartRateBpm>
<Value>146</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
<Cadence>79</Cadence>
<Extensions>
<ns2:TPX>
<ns2:Speed>4.433047</ns2:Speed>
<ns2:Watts>178</ns2:Watts>
</ns2:TPX>
</Extensions>
</Trackpoint>

At the moment there is no way to get elevation out of the Tacx environment

Tacx, the elevation is present in Tacx Cloud. It should be an easy fix to add it to the tcx file...

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu May 03, 2018 10:31 am

That is why you need to add the elevation data in another program. Strava never used elevation data that were automatically uploaded from any device that didn’t have a barometric altimeter. They added their elevation model data instead if the device was non-barometric. Therefore I believe Tacx never added elevation data for export to Strava in TDA because those data would have been discarded by Strava anyhow - TTS or TDA weren‘t (or aren‘t) on Strava’s list of devices supplying barometric altitude data. So the present issue is that Strava stopped adding elevation data, not that Tacx stopped exporting them.

I guess the easy fix on Tacx‘s side is adding elevation data to the exported data. Question is whether Strava will start using them.

lnebel

Post by lnebel » Thu May 03, 2018 11:17 am

Well, I should have started the thread with only one issue instead of two to avoid confusion :-)

I agree about Strava. Strava has always insisted on using their own (bad) elevation model not corrected for bridges and tunnels. And, they may have stopped adding elevations to exports from TDA.

To clarify. Within Tacx Cloud there are two separate exports: "Download TCX" and "Export to Strava".

Exporting to TCX has nothing to do with Strava, I presume. What I don't understand, is why Tacx does not simply add the recorded elevation data already in their system to that TCX file downloaded directly to your local machine? That would make it possible to upload it to Endomondo or any other service other than Strava.
Last edited by lnebel on Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Thu May 03, 2018 11:56 am

lnebel wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:17 am
Well, I should have started the thread with only one issue instead of two to avoid confusion :-)

I agree about Strava. Strava has always insisted on using there (bad) elevation model not corrected for bridges and tunnels. And, they may have stopped adding elevations to exports from TDA.

To clarify. Within Tacx Cloud there are two separate exports: "Download TCX" and "Export to Strava".

Exporting to TCX has nothing to do with Strava, I presume. What I don't understand, is why Tacx does not simply add the recorded elevation data already in their system to that TCX file downloaded directly to your local machine? That would make it possible to upload it to Endomondo or any other service other than Strava.
Tacx are now adding Landsat based alt data to the exported Tacx cloud data

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm

lnebel wrote:
Doesn‘t Endomondo have an „elevation correction“ tool? I use Garmin Connect and Sporttracks, both can add elevation data to a .tcx exported from TTS or TDA and imported there. For those programs, it saves just one mouse click if those data are already included in the .tcx exported from TDA.

lnebel

Post by lnebel » Thu May 03, 2018 12:56 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm
lnebel wrote:
Doesn‘t Endomondo have an „elevation correction“ tool? I use Garmin Connect and Sporttracks, both can add elevation data to a .tcx exported from TTS or TDA and imported there. For those programs, it saves just one mouse click if those data are already included in the .tcx exported from TDA.
Endomondo cannot add elevation data but I just added elevation with Garmin Connect and uploaded successfully to both Endomondo and Strava. That will work as a fix for now.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Thu May 03, 2018 12:56 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm
lnebel wrote:
Tacx fixed it, its adding elevation data now...not the original data though, its landsat

lnebel

Post by lnebel » Thu May 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:56 am
lnebel wrote:

I agree about Strava. Strava has always insisted on using there (bad) elevation model not corrected for bridges and tunnels. And, they may have stopped adding elevations to exports from TDA.

Tacx are now adding Landsat based alt data to the exported Tacx cloud data
Sounds good, as long as it is the actual elevations and grades that I actually rode on my trainer! I mean, the elevation profiles for the films in TDA must have been hand edited to some degree to remove effects from bridges, tunnels, steep grades next to the road, and so on. As I have tried to explain earlier, those elevations are already on Tacx Cloud, so, why not let the users export them in the TCX file?

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu May 03, 2018 1:39 pm

Because that would put Phil‘s meticulous editing work to produce perfect grade data for his RLVs into the hands of his competitors for zero to almost no money.

lnebel

Post by lnebel » Thu May 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Ah, I see, that answer explains everything. We will not get good elevation data for our TDA rides on other platforms :?

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu May 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Depends on how much work you want to invest. There are some rather precise digital elevation models available at a cost, down to 10 m resolution. Export the .tcx to a program that can combine data from different sources - the desktop version of Sporttracks can -, export .gpx to a program that can add elevation data, add the elevation data and recombine the two data sets. Lots of work to have a bit more accurate ascent numbers. I‘d rather enjoy another RLV in the meantime. :D

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu May 03, 2018 8:03 pm

This will probably not be a popular comment for some, but I am not entirely sure why there should be a preoccupation over this issue. This is, afterall, just a trainer. The inherent inaccuracy and variability of all of these systems already overshadows these other issues. As a result, wanting a sense of laboratory precision about using this equipment is more of an illusion. Unless you really believe that winning the next TDF depends on this, it makes more sense to me to relax a little and try to enjoy yourself. For those who are intensely competitive, the truth will come out on the road and will not be affected very much by how carefully your record, track and analyze your indoor training results. People don't like to hear it, but a lot of athletic performance is determined by genetics and age.

Return to “Tacx Desktop app (TDA)”