Tacx Neo T2800

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz

waywardcyclist

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by waywardcyclist » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:59 pm

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 pm
[A]re you sure you have the 'Sawbone' issue? ... the issue was typically observed right out of the box or within a very short period of time after starting to use the trainer..
I'm fairly certain. Now, I admit my trainer bike is neglected and abused with a drivetrain that's been on it's last legs for longer than I can remember. Still, the noise is not your typical chain / cassette noise. I was getting the "whistling" at certain speeds (39-45kph on descents typically) and did lubricate the freehub pawls and the inner metal sleeve that fits in the freehub body's inboard bearing. Mine wasn't black, it had been "polished" silver. Lubrication did not make any difference - perhaps even a bit louder but the noise does seem to be getting progressively loud with each ride.

I started to notice the vibrations and noise on some of the descents on the Route des Grandes Alpes when I did then entire trek of Parts 1-3 over the course of 2 weeks. I remember one instance when I thought the back vent was hotter than usual - although I don't generally take notice of that area so this was not exactly a scientific observation.

Anyway, here's my Neo in action yesterday where I took a short video before my ride. I stand beside my claim that the noise is not from my drivetrain or freehub body but all comments are welcome as to the source (bonus points if you're Dutch with an engineering degree like me):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls8tEPwCHSw
There's a bit of everything: Noise descending, pausing cadence to "reset" the noise, faint descending noise while not pedaling at all, and completely silent while climbing.
Neo and Genius, TTS 4.22, Macbook Pro (i7, 250GB SSD, 8GB ram, Win7/Bootcamp), BenQ W6000, 150" screen (380cm).
http://waywardcyclist.wordpress.com

jimmychua

Post by jimmychua » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:39 am

Hi

Do you still have the problem? I planning to get BMC Teammachine SLR 02 with Di2. Hope you can share more on your configuration that works

Thanks
Vilsheimer wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:20 pm
Hi nicx, I know exactly what you are talking about -- I've had the same problem. Running 11-speed Ultegra Di2 6870 on a BMC SLR01. The solution for me was to use the tacx-included 0.5mm spacer behind the cassette (originally intended for Campagnolo cassettes) and re-adjust the low-side stopper bolt.
It was so bad for me initally, that Di2 auto-shifted back to the 2nd largest cog after 5 seconds. (page 55 6870 manual) Glad i hopefully didn't damage the RD/motor. Certainly bad & dangerous construction of the plastic casing.
The hub still seemed long enough to take the 11 speed + spacer -- and the supplied EDCO locknut is much longer than the usual Shimanos, so it should sit deep enough in the hub.

In general, I have the feeling (no caliper) that my Neo's axle is ~3mm less wide than my wheels' (so i need to bend the frame that touch), which in return means the cassette is sitting further inside and hence needed a complete re-calibration of the shifting and stopper bolts.

Seems to work fine for now -- any expert-input appreciated though.

Pokey

Post by Pokey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:42 am

Hi all,
I was wondering if there is any difference in using the "slope" mode in a workout or just increasing the resistance in the "isotonic" mode. Is there any difference in where the resistance is applied during the pedal stroke? I assume they do more or less the same thing, but is there any way to compare them, for example does 30% in isotonic mode compares to a 7% climb etc.?

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Here is a good reference on the differences between Isokinetic and Isotonic modes: Tacx Introduced Isotonic and Isokinetic Modes For Tacx NEO

So since I don't have a direct answer, I would offer that in slope mode, the Neo is making calculations to maintain the equivalent of a 7% gradient climb, so if change gears and/or increase cadence, then while the resistance is not going to change all that dramatically it will vary to match the accelerated your rate of climb. I would relate Isotonic mode to Watt/Time workouts in TTS where you tell the application what power output you want to train at and the trainer varies resistance to account for changes in speed and cadence to insure that you are riding at the specified resistance. Thus, if you accelerate, then the trainer will detect the change in either speed and/or cadence and alter resistance until it calculates that you are once again pedaling at the specified level of resistance.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”