Very confused, help me decide please.

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator

Errodr

Very confused, help me decide please.

Post by Errodr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:17 am

I am in the market for a VR trainer but I am not sure which Tacx offering is best for me. I only have about 1500 to spend. The Vortex has caught my eye, but I am confused as to what else I need in addition to the trainer for a full VR experience.

Do I have to buy software in addition? Is the Vortex a good trainer? Should I be considering others? I am buying the trainer primarily for near daily winter/ bad weather training.

Thanks!

Huey Lewis

Post by Huey Lewis » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:44 am

The software will come with the trainer.

I don't know anything about the Vortex. I have a Fortius and am happy with it.

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:26 pm

I have Fortius & Genius, for full on climbing i would recommend Genius..it all depends what you want from trainer ? do you need it to work standalone without PC as well as with PC, do you want hills to have full on resistance regardless of percentage (you can still use powermode to reduce percentage of inclines)
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:32 pm

i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

Lente

Post by Lente » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:20 pm

I'll help you decide, as long as you promise to act on my advice. :D

Get an I-Genius Multiplayer, add a Google Earth license and start riding with us.

It's as simple as that.

gruffle

Post by gruffle » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:25 pm

I just did that and it is fun stuff indeed.

But no way I am riding with you guys - tis 25 years since I was on a bike :o
5 mins and I'm dead at the moment

Hoping to get to 6 mins soon :lol:

Lente

Post by Lente » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Well done gruffle! Good decision. You'll be riding with the best of us within no time.

Just try a multiplayer race, it's really fun and adds an extra dimension to riding.

Hope to see you on a virtual course one of thes days/weeks/months.

gruffle

Post by gruffle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:11 am

cheers Lente,

erm - got a bit of a food baby to lose first :oops:

funny how things click back into place though.

First time I sat in the saddle I thought I'd made a mistake, by the 3rd time it starts coming back a bit... including some hilarious moments of times past, some near misses (and some pretty big stackups too).... and a sore backside too :roll:

Genuinely will have to be a bit careful though, the body ain't used to this.

One reason I got the HRM (which doesn't work :evil: ) was to make sure I didnt explode, and to make sure I break myself in sensibly.

Give me a bit, but hopefully I'll be with you guys one of these days.

olanoin

Re: Very confused, help me decide please.

Post by olanoin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:08 pm

I am thinking in buying a new trainer and i thought in the Fortius or the Genius models. In this moment and as far as i know (please correct me if i am wrong), the fortius motor brake is more powerful than the Genius one (the fortius model simulates better the real pedalling on uphill and downhill) and this is what makes me choosing the Fortius. Could somebody tell me the advantages and the disadvantages of each model please?

Thank you very much,
Iñigo.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:51 pm

The Fortius and the Genius have identical power/speed diagrams, which means the brakes are equally powerful. The Genius does a better job of simulating uphills. You will not have the Fortius' choppiness when climbing slowly on the Genius. The Fortius is smoother on downhills, though.

As far as the Tacx homepage goes, Tacx don't mke the Fortius any more. You still may find some in stock, but this alone may decide your question.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't find the Fortius smoother on downhills. I think the Genius brake works better on downhills and its top speed seems to be a bit higher. But I would also say that downhill performance is a pretty minor issue as you really do not ride a trainer to coast down steep hills (not much point to that).

I think the Fortius frame is more stable than the Genius, but this is not a huge issue.

The Genius works better at slower speeds, which is why it is better on uphills.

The Fortius is an inherently more complicated device electronically, so may be a little more prone to defects. If repairs are required, the separate Fortius power supply is very expensive and no separate internal electronic parts are sold; if repairs are required, the Fortius power supply is not repairable for all practical purposes. I think that Tacx does sell separate internal repair parts for the Genius.

The Genius steerer is not very smooth, but I am not sure I would buy a steerer for either trainer as its usage is pretty limited and more of a novelty than anything very useful.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:27 pm

mcorn wrote:I don't find the Fortius smoother on downhills. I think the Genius brake works better on downhills and its top speed seems to be a bit higher. But I would also say that downhill performance is a pretty minor issue as you really do not ride a trainer to coast down steep hills (not much point to that).
Coasting down those 12-25 km 7% or so downhills of the RDGA on a Genius doesn't feel smooth. Turning shorter or less steep downhills into a spinning exercise is a good way around the Fortius erroneous no-cadence brakings, but there's not much training to get out of those longer and steeper descents. On the Fortius, one would just turn the cranks lazily while the wheel maintains its speed all of the time. Agree it's a minor issue.

olanoin

Post by olanoin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Thank you very much for your support, i think i will buy the genius model. however, is there any difference between GENIUS and I-GENIUS models? I would like to buy the trainer today but before i would like to solve this doubt.

Thanks again and i am looking forward from hearing your replies.

gruffle

Post by gruffle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:14 pm

I believe they are the same. But there is the iGenius standard (T2020) and the iGenius Multiplayer (T2000).

The standard one does not come with the blacktrack steering but the Multiplayer includes it.
You also get the multiplayer license included with the Multiplayer versio - no surprise.

If this is important to you of course, though the blacktrack does save you buying a separate front wheel mount

But you can usually get a better price for the multiplayer including the options, than you will buying the standard version then adding the options.

Return to “Archives”