Bushido, current model or wait for the 2012?

You`re thinking about buying a Tacx trainer, but don`t know witch one.

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt

Bushido, current model or wait for the 2012?

Postby TiggerFish » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:43 am

Hi,
I'm a little confused... Nothing new there though :)

I'm looking at buying a VR trainer and I've pretty much decided on the Bushido with PC upgrade, mostly because it can be used both with and without a PC attached.
While shopping for one it would appear that there is a new model coming out, a 2012 version, but I am struggling to find out what the difference is and more importantly is the difference worth the extra money and the extra wait to me.

For example.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31098
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68500

I did call chain reaction but they weren't too clear.. Can anyone help please ?

Thanks in advance.
TiggerFish

Re: Bushido, current model or wait for the 2012?

Postby ms6073 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:13 pm

TiggerFish wrote:While shopping for one it would appear that there is a new model coming out, a 2012 version, but I am struggling to find out what the difference is

Seems pretty obvious that a price increase is what is new. :D
Actually, I know of no new features other than an updated firmware for the handlebar controller and possibly motorbrake that is rumored to be under test and nearing release. This update would allow the Bushido to pair with an ANT+ powermeter (SRM, PowerTap, Quarq, Power2Max) but we probably wont know for sure until the EuroBike and/or Interbike trade shows in September.
Michael - Cogito Ergo Sum
__0
_ \ |_
(O)/ (O)
ms6073

Re: Bushido, current model or wait for the 2012?

Postby mcorn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:17 pm

TiggerFish wrote:I'm looking at buying a VR trainer and I've pretty much decided on the Bushido with PC upgrade, mostly because it can be used both with and without a PC attached.

I own a Fortius, Imagic and Bushido. I think the main thing arguing for the Bushido is its portability. If you are a super-strong cyclist, Bushido perhaps has more power capacity, but there aren't that many cyclists where this would be a real factor. I can't really imagine using the trainer without a PC. If I didn't want the stimulation of a PC-based system, I could just go back to the inexpensive drudgery of some kind of resistance trainer. There are some downsides to the Bushido, including constant battery replacement and its finicky and somewhat hard to read handlebar controller. So, in the end, I think the PC-based Fortius is the best choice by far.
mcorn

Postby urguilty » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Here is the reply from Tacx U.S. Sales:

Thanks for your question. Early last year (2010), the Bushido was upgraded to a back light display with push and click keys replacing the touch sensitive keys on the head unit.

Everything we have in the States currently is this new model and it has been for quite some time, so it is likely most retailers have the new model in stock. For the 2012 model year the Bushido is not changing, so purchase one knowing that you have the latest and greatest version.

Tacx did not change the model number, so the only way of knowing for sure is to ask if the one they have in stock has the upgraded display with the back light.

They were very quick in their reply too. So a BIG kudos to Tacx US Sales. So basically the answer is 2012 is NO different from 2011, or even late model 2010s.
urguilty

Return to What trainer is best for me?