IMPORTANT: FIRMWARE UPDATE 0.10.04

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz, Fortius Magical Man

tri-xy68

Post by tri-xy68 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:20 am

So is it recommended to leave the unit on all the time? It basically says that the problem may arise from shutting down, not necessarily shutting down. Is there a shut down or power up prefered practice? For instance turn on the unit before turning on the computer, or vise versa? Should I always have the USB plugged into the computer or power up the computer and then plug in USB every time? Thanks for any advice.

Cheers Peter.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:54 am

Your explanation makes sense. Let's hope your translation is as good. :lol:
From the Great State Fair City of Sedalia, Missouri, home of the lowest gasoline prices in the world. $2.84.9 a gallon this morning.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:55 am

Rudy Reimer told me to leave the power supply switched to the on position at all times.
From the Great State Fair City of Sedalia, Missouri, home of the lowest gasoline prices in the world. $2.84.9 a gallon this morning.

Rein

Post by Rein » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:08 am

DL Drafting wrote:Rudy Reimer told me to leave the power supply switched to the on position at all times.
But as far as I understand (and I am dutch :wink: ) this was one of the things fixed in this motorbrake-update. So now it isn't necessary anymore to leave it switched on all the time (I always switch it off without any problems).

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am

I hear ya, Rein. The only thing is, this is my third power supply. I'm still under warranty, and I feel obligated to some extent to follow Rudy's suggestion, since he has been taking such good care of replacing the faulty power supplies.

Rein

Post by Rein » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:14 am

Yes, better safe than sorry. When I bought my fortius back in 2005 I had to fry 3 powersupplies before I got a good one. But this one is still working fine.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 pm

It doesn't really matter whether you leave the power supply on or off as long as you have the latest firmware. I usually leave mine on with the roller engaged and the USB plugged in, but I have also done it the other way. I think if you are in an area that can get power spikes or lightning, leaving it off would be better.

P.S. I am one of those who is on the third power supply as well, but all of the failures occurred prior to the firmware update. I have had my current power supply for over a year.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:22 pm

I'll say one thing, it's certainly reassuring to hear that your power supplies have lasted so long. After my first one blew after only two weeks, I went online and bought a second Fortius, figuring that maybe between the two I would have one working at all times. Well, I was wrong, the second one blew in a week and a short week at that, only 250 miles. I was without a power supply for either machine for two more weeks after that. Finally, Rudy sent me one direct, and that one has been working fine, and also the longest so far. At least I'm set up for a LAN in my basement now. I guess that's OK.

Steve_Dercks

Post by Steve_Dercks » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Hello FMM,

I am using Tacx Update 2.4 (2005-09-22) and am trying to update the firmware (I have already updated the software to 2.03.0 which appears to be the latest available online.

When I select 'Fortius Software Update' the program connects to the Internet and tells me...

Fortius Menu:
Current version is 2.03.0
Checking for updates...
Update version 02.03.000 is already installed.

Imagic:
Current version is 2.03.0
Checking for updates...
Update version 02.03.000 is already installed.

However when I select 'Motorrem Update'

I get a screen that very briefly flashes by saying something about 'Connect Device to Computer', but too short to read the whole thing.

Then another very brief message about 'Device Found' again too short to read but I assume good so far...

Then I get a message 'Could not connect to the internet.'

Do you know what could be causing this?

Obviously the Internet and connection is working and the software is able to connect using 'Fortius Software Update'.

The Tacx works fine in for RLV which is what I use it mostly for.

Rein

Post by Rein » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Motorrem update has been disabled in Version 2.03 for some kind of reason.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:09 pm

Hey guys, while on the subject of the firmware update -- which still is not working from online -- a cyclist from New York emailed me the other day and had some questions about buying a Fortius, etc. Well, his unit arrived Thursday, and he emailed me to ask directions on making sure he had the correct and latest firmware, since I told him that was critical for the 110-volt version that we get stateside. I sent him the file with instructions on how to load it correctly, but the thing is, he says his brake firmware is showing version 0.10.7. I scoured the website, but can find no mention of a 0.10.7 version. The only thing I could guess is that it has something to do with the new 110v power supply upgrade that is mentioned in the Tacx Forum. Have any of you heard of this version?

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:15 pm

0.10.7 is the version of firmware in the new 110V units with the 40kph speed limit fix.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:47 pm

DL Drafting wrote:Hey guys, while on the subject of the firmware update -- which still is not working from online -- a cyclist from New York emailed me the other day and had some questions about buying a Fortius, etc. Well, his unit arrived Thursday, and he emailed me to ask directions on making sure he had the correct and latest firmware, since I told him that was critical for the 110-volt version that we get stateside. I sent him the file with instructions on how to load it correctly, but the thing is, he says his brake firmware is showing version 0.10.7. I scoured the website, but can find no mention of a 0.10.7 version. The only thing I could guess is that it has something to do with the new 110v power supply upgrade that is mentioned in the Tacx Forum. Have any of you heard of this version?
Be get back to him and warn him not to mess up his firmware by installing the old 0.10.4. It will likely cause big problems and perhaps disable the unit. The last poster is correct that 0.10.7 is used in the new 110 volt units.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:35 am

mcorn wrote:
DL Drafting wrote:Hey guys, while on the subject of the firmware update -- which still is not working from online -- a cyclist from New York emailed me the other day and had some questions about buying a Fortius, etc. Well, his unit arrived Thursday, and he emailed me to ask directions on making sure he had the correct and latest firmware, since I told him that was critical for the 110-volt version that we get stateside. I sent him the file with instructions on how to load it correctly, but the thing is, he says his brake firmware is showing version 0.10.7. I scoured the website, but can find no mention of a 0.10.7 version. The only thing I could guess is that it has something to do with the new 110v power supply upgrade that is mentioned in the Tacx Forum. Have any of you heard of this version?
Be get back to him and warn him not to mess up his firmware by installing the old 0.10.4. It will likely cause big problems and perhaps disable the unit. The last poster is correct that 0.10.7 is used in the new 110 volt units.
Roger. Willco. Say, where are you finding that update for download?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:05 am

DL Drafting wrote:Roger. Willco. Say, where are you finding that update for download?
It is not available for download. It only works with the new 110 volt hardware. It will not work on the older 110 volt systems or on the 220 volt systems.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 am

mcorn wrote:
DL Drafting wrote:Roger. Willco. Say, where are you finding that update for download?
It is not available for download. It only works with the new 110 volt hardware. It will not work on the older 110 volt systems or on the 220 volt systems.
OK. I found a thread that James Clark clarified that Tacx will be coming out with the upgrade package they will sell at their cost to original Fortius owners. Looking forward to it. It's hard to be competitive against Imagics without some top-end speed on the downhills. I hope they have gone all the way, and that this is a truly unlimited speed. Just think, you could coast down the Pyrenees at 80kmH.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:25 am

You still will not go as fast as the Imagics. The upper end speed is the same as the 220V Fortius. The fastest I have been able to achieve is 62KPH.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:50 am

JamesC wrote:You still will not go as fast as the Imagics. The upper end speed is the same as the 220V Fortius. The fastest I have been able to achieve is 62KPH.
I have hit 60 kmH at about 500 watts on a downhill in the Alpine Classic with the existing firmware, so maybe this won't have that much effect on the very top-end. But what about pulling 44-46 kmh in the flats? Is that possible now, i.e., without an inordinate amount of watts to go with it?

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:09 am

About 320W at 44 on the flats, 250W with drafting

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:18 am

JamesC wrote:About 320W at 44 on the flats, 250W with drafting
Thanks James. That ain't bad. Sounds about right. Would be a little more for me at my current tubberweight. Looking forward to it.

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”