New Genius Smart Jerky Operation

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

Coveredincolor

New Genius Smart Jerky Operation

Post by Coveredincolor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:05 am

I ordered a Bushido Smart, but was sent a Tacx Genius Smart (T2080). I was concerned from reading reviews that although the Genius retails at a higher value, that it may have issues when compared with the Bushido.

This is my first roller trainer of any kind, so I don't know EXACTLY how the trainer should feel when operating. I have set up my bike on the Genius in slot 2 (700x25 tire) and calibrated it with the result pretty much exactly in the middle of good green zone (this was after the bike was warm). I had also updated the firmware via the Tacx Utility android app.

I am using TrainerRoad via Bluetooth for control. I performed the 20 minute FTP. There was a 30 minute warm-up, 20 min FTP, and 10 min cooldown.

The feedback from the trainer was jerky; it felt as if I had to break through a high resistance point on the beginning of the downstroke, only to free-up and my leg accelerate down to full extension. My cadence also didn't feel to be falling off as if I had tire-slip. It felt so wrong that even though I had calibrated the trainer in the Tacx Utility, I paused the workout halfway through to calibrate the trainer inside the TrainerRoad app. However, the result was the same unnatural feeling process.

I didn't note any weird/loud noises from the trainer, though I had headphones in, but I also don't know how a trainer should really sound.

The only thing I haven't done is verify tire pressure, but with the trainer calibrating fine, I feel like that shouldn't be the source of the issue. The experience didn't feel like how I believe a $700 trainer should perform.

I was hoping people had some insights or fixes. Thank you.

Alex Masalovich

Re: New Genius Smart Jerky Operation

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 am

The color of the calibration zone is only a guideline. Try increasing the force of pressing the roller to the tyre. Try a special tire for home trainers.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Coveredincolor

Post by Coveredincolor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:46 am

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 am
The color of the calibration zone is only a guideline. Try increasing the force of pressing the roller to the tyre. Try a special tire for home trainers.
Thank you for the feedback. I will try this. I was only concerned about bearing load from turning up the contact force too high.

audunth

Post by audunth » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:49 pm

A trainer tire shouldn't make much difference in feel or slippage. It's more to save wear on an expensive race tire. With the right tire pressure and adjustment of the roller against the tire, it won't slip.

Here's what DC Rainmaker says about trainer tires (he's been testing all kinds of trainers for many years):
I train every day on the stock wheels and tires that came with the bike. Just normal tires and normal wheels. In fact, I don’t even bother to swap out for a separate trainer tire. Why? Well, my thinking is that I spend 3+ days a week on a trainer, and the last thing I want to deal with is swapping tires or wheels every time I go inside to outside or the inverse (I’m kinda lazy that way). Further, when you step back and look at the total cost of triathlon or cycling, and the total cost of simply getting a new tire each year due to wear – the new tire is pretty low (between $30-45).

Now, if you’re riding race wheels with expensive race tires – you’ll have to balance the much higher cost of most race tires.
The quote can be found here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/tra ... guide.html

He also did a sound test way back when he reviewed the Genius, and found the trainer tire to actually be a tiny bit louder than the regular tire:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/gen ... eview.html

So before you take the trouble and cost of replacing your tire, try increasing the tire pressure and/or tightening the roller adjustment first.
Cheers,
Audun

Genius Multiplayer 2012 220V (1.1.325)
TTS 4.10.0.0
Windows 7 Ult. 64 bit US English
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 motherboard
Core i5 2500K, 8 GB RAM
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector @ 1920x1080

Coveredincolor

Post by Coveredincolor » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:19 pm

I just wanted to check back with you all and thank you for your help.

I simply changed the adjustment knob to increase roll force with the tire and the entire feel of the Genius was different. To my inexperienced cycling self, it felt like really riding a bike outside.

Thank you so much.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”