Garmin HRM questions

Training Zones & other HRM related stuff

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt

madeupname

Garmin HRM questions

Post by madeupname » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi All

I'm the proud owner of a new TACX Flow T2240 turbo trainer and I'm trying to work my way through the set up but the set-up guide is pretty poor and vague to say the least. I've managed to get the unit set up nicely but have a few questions re. HRM straps. I think I'll be mostly using the TACX desktop app with a Windows 10 laptop rather than the app. I've already worked out you can't have bluetooth on both devices sharing the TACX so I might delete the app (using iPhone).

Anyway, that's a side issue, what I can't seem to do is pair either my watch - Fenix 3 (not with the HRM in the watch itself) - or strap - I have HRM3-SS and the HRM-Run straps - with the trainer. So, before I spend any more money I want to double-check what my research tells me. Both the straps are ANT+ but not Bluetooth, so I think I might need an ANT+ USB dongle for the laptop. Is this correct? I wasn't sure how the devices all communicate; I would have assumed that the strap would talk directly to the trainer but it seems it has to go through the laptop first?

Also, I can't seem to pair the watch. The watch pairs with the cadence and speed sensors and something called 'PWR' in the T2240 but it doesn't pair in the TACX desktop app. It seems as though there is no HR Broadcast function for the model I have, whereas the Fenix 3 HRM (HRM in the watch) has it. I can't find this in any settings on my watch so maybe it's not possible. If I do use the ANT+ dongle with TACX desktop app will the strap still transmit to my watch so I can record the workout on the Fenix 3 as well as TACX desktop app?

So that's it really, I want to use my strap with the trainer and my watch at the same time and I think I just need to get an ANT+ dongle. Have I got this right or am I doing it all the wrong way?

Thanks.

mcorn

Re: Garmin HRM questions

Post by mcorn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:56 pm

TDA is Bluetooth only, so all of your devices must be Bluetooth capable (or dual ANT+/Bluetooth) if you want to use TDA. I use a Flow Smart with TDA and have a Polar H10 BT HRM, a dual BT/ANT+ PowerTap power meter, and a dual BT/ANT+ Wahoo combo speed/cadence sensor and they all work with TDA at the same time. I can also use this same hardware setup (other than the HRM) with TTS4, which is an ANT+ application. I am also able to use a Garmin ANT+ handlebar computer to receive ANT+ signals from these devices at the same time I am running either the TDA BT program or the TTS4 ANT+ program.

In terms of using these various hardware components simultaneously, the one thing you cannot do is have simultaneous BT/ANT+ brake (resistance) control. With sensors like HR, speed/cadence, and power, the sensor is only sending out data. But with resistance control, the brake itself is both sending and receiving data, so there are problems if there are conflicting BT/ANT+ resistance commands to the brake.

Hope this makes sense.

madeupname

Post by madeupname » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I have to be honest, some of that is a bit above my knowledge level at the moment, I even had to look up TTS4! I really have only just bought a bike and trainer so you might have to assume I'm a total idiot, sorry.

So I guess my ANT+ dongle idea is a no go then if I'm using TDA and my only option here is to buy a new BT HRM strap? The rest of it I might have to work through as I'm so inexperienced it's not even funny. I don't think I'm ready to fork out for TTS4 yet tbh, I need to just get my head round it all first.

I feel a bit oversold to really, I'm sure the kit can do what I want but I'll have to buy extra kit when I explained in the shop exactly what I wanted to achieve and the sales guy said yes to all of it without having to buy any more kit.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 pm

madeupname wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:04 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I have to be honest, some of that is a bit above my knowledge level at the moment, I even had to look up TTS4! I really have only just bought a bike and trainer so you might have to assume I'm a total idiot, sorry.

So I guess my ANT+ dongle idea is a no go then if I'm using TDA and my only option here is to buy a new BT HRM strap? The rest of it I might have to work through as I'm so inexperienced it's not even funny. I don't think I'm ready to fork out for TTS4 yet tbh, I need to just get my head round it all first.

I feel a bit oversold to really, I'm sure the kit can do what I want but I'll have to buy extra kit when I explained in the shop exactly what I wanted to achieve and the sales guy said yes to all of it without having to buy any more kit.
I think you are on the right track. There is not much reason to buy TTS4 at this point. So, you do need a BT dongle for your PC if it does not already have BT built in. USB BT dongles/transmitters are very inexpensive. There are a number of BT HRM's out there. When I was shopping, the Polar H10 was a good price, which is why I chose it.

There are some other non-Tacx trainer programs that use BT and/or ANT+. If there is one you want to use that is ANT+ only, then you would need an ANT+ dongle for your PC.

You can download and install TDA for free and try it using the supplied demo videos from here, but you must have an up to date version of Windows 10 on your PC.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/tacx- ... verviewtab

madeupname

Post by madeupname » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks again for all that, I've now found the spec. for TDA which states it's Bluetooth only so I'll give that a go for the free month of Premium which came with the trainer. I've used the TDA Films thing and it seems OK. I may as well just get a cheapo Ebay HRM in case I never use it again. Funny you mention the other software options; I had a good look at Zwift but don't really know how much better/worse these 3rd party options are than TACX. More research is on the cards I think! thanks again for your help so far, I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Return to “Heart rate”