can i get the tacx ipad app capability on my Macbook pro

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Steve Newton, Tacx support, Nasz, Lunatix

ArtProf

Re: can i get the tacx ipad app capability on my Macbook pro

Post by ArtProf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Any luck on finding anything that works? I see nobody has replied. I'm in the same boat.

Andyrobertson

Post by Andyrobertson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:33 am

Hi,
Sorry, the answer was a no. Tacx pointed me to ZWIFT Trainer Road etc, but in my case all I wanted was one place to go ie Tacx for Mac, this they have clearly stayed away from and TBH I found it easier to borrow my wifes ipad that was capable of running the app.

I am sure Zwift et al are good, if you can be motivated or bothered to go and invest in time and systems, in my case it was a no for now given the evenings and weather is improving I am out on the bike, so not using the Neo at the moment. Come winter I will need to look at this again if I am to make good use of the trainer.

HTH
Andy

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:33 pm

I think most wth an Apple computer or laptop, simply run the Tacx Trainer Software under a Windows emulator.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

Andyrobertson

Post by Andyrobertson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Yes,correct and apols I did look at that, but I have no other use for windows on my home pc. If I add the emulator I may as well purchased a PC.

As it is not a killer for me at the moment no issues just a little disaponted at the time, and I guess its no bid deal to masses. To be fair to Tacx I am sure if demand for Mac based usage was high enough they would have looked to develop. Simple commerce and I totally appreciate that and no real gripe.

Happy training ;0)
Cheers
Andy

EHB

Post by EHB » Tue May 17, 2016 9:06 pm

I don't know what format the Tacx video is?

The (free) Golden Cheetah can pay videos and is on Mac. You could even program an erg file to go with it (it has F-EC). The only thing I've found is that I've needed to change the video format.

The other thing that could possibly work is installing (also free) the Developer iPad or iPhone emulator, which is apart of XCode (allows app testing ;)). Whether the Mac has good enough Bluetooth and if it connects well enough to control the neo I'm not sure, but I suspect it would work or the Tacx App writers would be stuck. You don't need to pay for the annual thing as it allows stuff you don't want.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:18 pm

We are looking on expending the Tacx software capabilities to the MAC OSX but this is a longer process.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:28 pm

EHB wrote:I don't know what format the Tacx video is?

The (free) Golden Cheetah can pay videos and is on Mac. You could even program an erg file to go with it (it has F-EC). The only thing I've found is that I've needed to change the video format.

The other thing that could possibly work is installing (also free) the Developer iPad or iPhone emulator, which is apart of XCode (allows app testing ;)). Whether the Mac has good enough Bluetooth and if it connects well enough to control the neo I'm not sure, but I suspect it would work or the Tacx App writers would be stuck. You don't need to pay for the annual thing as it allows stuff you don't want.
We use a type of mp4 codec in a avi container that will have issues on Mac. When Tacx has Mac support a new library of rides or most of the best ones in the collection right now will be rendered to something more modern & mac/PC friendly... Just now avi & Mac does not play well together. All the Tablet rides are in a Mac friendly codec already, thet would just need to be rendered to Full HD possibly with a new much higher quality option for anything we have filmed since 2013

Andyrobertson

Post by Andyrobertson » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:29 am

That sounds really good, when do Tacx see potential release dates - It would be nice to think you can achieve this ready for the next winter.

Many of us Mac owners would certainly see the benefits of a direct compatible Mac training library and save having to faff around with other products.

Thanks
Andy

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:09 pm

I can confirm that it will not be for this upcoming winter season.

EHB

Post by EHB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:46 pm

I think Golden Cheetah have removed video from the latest builds. It does sound like one of the older builds of Golden Cheetah could play the videos, but not the new one.

I've tried the iPad simulator in xCode. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work. There is an Android emulator though that I suspect you'd have more luck with.

I've since discovered though that the TrainerRoad Mac App can play videos. They even have a workout creator that would allow you to design intervals to go with a video. That might be the easiest way to go if you can get one of the videos.

An alternative I just thought of is Airplay! I don't have a new enough laptop to test this, but the newer ones can display screams of iPhones/pads using Airplay. Just play the video on an iDevice and beam it to the laptop.

Andyrobertson

Post by Andyrobertson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:53 am

Hi EHB,

Re Airplay - good call hadn't thought of that - so in principle run the session on an iPad and air play to the mac for bigger screen.

I will have a go at this over the coming weeks and report back

Thanks
Andy

flythorn

Post by flythorn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:12 pm

AirPlay Mirroring from an iPad to a TV set using Apple TV also works if you want to watch the video on a bigger screen.
I adjusted the film video in the app to 'Wide screen' and switched the zoom on the TV set so that the video filled the screen as optimally as possible.
Of course you will only get the resolution quality that you see on the iPad but that will probably be OK for you in the short term - it's fine for me!

missa

Post by missa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:42 pm

This is a real shame. I got my Tacx smart trainer just over a year ago.I have been using zwift which is a really good idea, but us very limited. I would love to simulate riding up mount ventoux, Xabia and various parts of tours. I appreciate this is not a simple thing to set up, but i'd pay for it.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:29 am

missa wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:42 pm
This is a real shame. I got my Tacx smart trainer just over a year ago.I have been using zwift which is a really good idea, but us very limited. I would love to simulate riding up mount ventoux, Xabia and various parts of tours. I appreciate this is not a simple thing to set up, but i'd pay for it.
There is a Mac version of the new Tacx software in development, Its a few months behind the windows App but you could be riding it this winter, maybe a Beta version at least..so keep your fingers crossed :wink:

Return to “Apple”