using apponents on cosmos

Only Cosmos related questions

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

mattdax

using apponents on cosmos

Post by mattdax » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:15 pm

hi to all,i have just got a cosmos and am a newbie to this forum,i have used tuebo trainers with hart rate monitors and cycle computers for training for a good few years,its great to have a set up like the cosmos gives,and i am amazed by how good it works,and am still finding my feet with it all.
i am struggling with setting up apponents,i have tried with using slope/distance training programs,but the apponent button will not light up so i can click on it to add.i maybe missing something really obvious,because its all a bit newto me yet. yet but any help would be great,aslo,i know you can ride with the comos unit not connected to the pc,but is it better if it is connected?
thanks..matt

paultje

Post by paultje » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:28 pm

Welcome Mattdax to the amazing world of Cosmos...

I own the cosmos for three years now and I still can not use the opponent option. I tried many thing (mailing, posting, shouting etc.) but nothing helps. It looks like Tacx doesn't bother the problems with Cosmos. They only update the fortius.

But if you don't use opponents the Cosmos is the best trainer there is. And that is no joke. I use the cosmos several times a week and it realy helps to get me better for the season.
Especialy the trainingprograms that are on the Tacx site are great.

Grtzz
Paul

Fortius Magical Man

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:54 pm

wait.... do you know how the opponents work in the cosmos

fist you have to make a rout (exp 1 km)
then you cycle this route and save your time
After doing that, you select this one route and the opponens will light up

mattdax

Post by mattdax » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:04 am

thanks for that.will give that a try..
cheers..matt

nickcolloff

Cosmos opponents

Post by nickcolloff » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:35 pm

Hi,

Read with interest your problems with opponents.

I'm having the same problem. Set up a slope/distance route, have ridden it many times and posted times, but opponents will not illuminate.
One of the pre-programmed routes when I bought it works fine with opponents but nothing I have prorammed works.

I have talked to JE James - who supplied the unit and Fisher, who are the agents in the UK and neither have been able to give me a rational explanation of why this whould happen, and how to resolve the proble. Have posted a question to TACX so hopefully....... :cry:
nickc

cridleythomas

opponents

Post by cridleythomas » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:39 am

I took a while to figure this out but it is the same as one of the earlier comments. I made up my own route (slope and distance) and rode it once. Now when I go back and select that route the opponents tab is open and I can select my previous ride as an opponent.

Rein

Post by Rein » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:34 am

I don't own a Cosmos but a Fortius, but since Catalyst is basically the same as Cosmos maybe I can help.
If you do a route in Cosmos, be sure you make it distance-based in stead of time-based. I seem to remember in Catalyst, when you do a time-based training you can't use opponents (because they would all finish at the same time...).
I'm not sure about this but it might be worth trying...

nickcolloff

Post by nickcolloff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

I have programmed several routes - all distance based and ridden them but they do not allow opponnts to be selected.

I recently programmed a short route - just 2 miles long and tried again. This time the system did allow me to select opponents, but I still cannot select opponents on my longer routes. When looking at the data from the longer routes the total distance is defined as 'NO FIN' meaning that the system has not quite finished the course. These longer courses are between 13 aand 56 miles.

It seems to me that the problem is distance related and as such I propose to put in a number of programmes of different distances to test this.

On courses where you have been successful in selecting opponents, what is the distance of the course?
nickc

LFR

Post by LFR » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:53 pm

nickcolloff wrote:I recently programmed a short route - just 2 miles long and tried again. This time the system did allow me to select opponents, but I still cannot select opponents on my longer routes. When looking at the data from the longer routes the total distance is defined as 'NO FIN' meaning that the system has not quite finished the course. These longer courses are between 13 aand 56 miles.

It seems to me that the problem is distance related and as such I propose to put in a number of programmes of different distances to test this.
The Cosmos unit seems to give a NoFin when the last route is not equal to n times 100 meter (e.g. 100, 200, 300 meter).
See also http://www.cykelmaraton.dk/phorum/read.php?19,238

nickcolloff

Opponents

Post by nickcolloff » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:44 am

Thanks LFR. This appears to be the answer I have been looking for.

Glad to see it's not only me that has this problem. I program my unit in miles and as such may well hit this problem. I have noticed that when riding a route, the program terminates prematurely aything up to 70 feet from the finish. This could be the reason. I'll try programming it in km ad see if that makes a difference.

Cheers.
nickc

nickcolloff

Opponents & NoFin

Post by nickcolloff » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:31 pm

Just an update.

I have programmed a 20km route, and ridden it in miles and miles/hr.

The ride did not have a NoFin problem and I can now ride this route against opponents. So now all I have to do is convert all my programs to km and I'm set.

Thanks for all the help. :D
nickc

dj33

Post by dj33 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Here's my 2 cents regarding this issue.

It's logical that on a standard cosmos program there's no option of components.
Why, what's the refference for the components to compare with :?:

- pick a program
- ride it and save it with a x1 behind the standard name (as x = data and 1 is firts time run)
- now that program has data, your data
- now the components have data to compare with and now it can be set als faster or slower in % :lol:
- run the program again and save it now with a 2 behind the x for second time run (just like above for x1).

Than save that particular file in a directory on the C disk with the name of the program so you can compare later how you did and don't have to search thru all the other program's.

I hope this will work.

I do find it not very professional that tacx isn't properly explaining this in the help file, but than again it's all very logical when one thinks about it :)

A final note.

The above is not possible for the free rides in either time or distance for the explanation given.
It's ok to save, but it's a free program so that's not making sense in a way.

Good luck and give a reply with your experiences.

Return to “Cosmos”