Does anyone want some Test protocols?

Only Cosmos related questions

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz, Fortius Magical Man

Tacx Video Production

Does anyone want some Test protocols?

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:18 pm

The end of the summer is approaching & its time to think about doing some testing (if you do not already) so you have some benchmarks to aim for this winter.

The main things you perhaps need to find out before you quit racing for the year is your 'Lactate threshold (roughly your 40kmTT pace) V02 (5 minute pursuit pace) & perhaps your average power during a sprint over 30seconds.

Knowledge of these different types of condition (endurance,lactate clearance & pure anaerobic) will give you a broader picture of your form.

If I get time I will upload some Catalyst test protocols say a classic Conconi & a MAP (max aerobic power) ramp test. Perhaps others on here have a test they would like to share? I think more enjoyable alternative test rides could be used. It could be a stretch of road which makes up a real life video or perhaps an opponent based test in the virtual world? A good test ride should have a V02 type effort (a good 1.5- 2km hill) & a longer sustained TT of some kind with a good long break in between.

bristto

Post by bristto » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:32 pm

Great idea Phil..!

I was only scouring the www yesterday to see if I could find some tests I could download!

I've heard mixed opinons on the Conconi test for finding lactate threshold - but as long it was just used for benchmarking then it dosn't matter I supose....!?

Thanks Tony

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:34 am

I will upload them to here, Ive included a MAP test which has a slope of 20watts/min Ive included a 5min warm up as the test starts at what will be for most a very easy 110watts. You could say the first half of the test will be a warm up for most.

http://www.tacx-video.com/Downloads/pgmf/Test-pgmf

nghall14

Max Ramp Test

Post by nghall14 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:16 pm

Hi, Just got my I-magic today, everything is now set up with no problems whatsoever. I'm looking about for various bits and bobs and trying to test things out and would really like a RAMP style "Kingcycle test" but I can't get the file link in this thread to show up as a selection in catalyst.

I've dropped the file into Tacx\Catalyst\Programs but all the others are *.pgm as opposed to the MAP TEST.pgmf. Is there somewhere else or something else I should be doing.

Cheers

Nicky

Tacx Video Production

Re: Max Ramp Test

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:59 pm

nghall14 wrote:Hi, Just got my I-magic today, everything is now set up with no problems whatsoever. I'm looking about for various bits and bobs and trying to test things out and would really like a RAMP style "Kingcycle test" but I can't get the file link in this thread to show up as a selection in catalyst.

I've dropped the file into Tacx\Catalyst\Programs but all the others are *.pgm as opposed to the MAP TEST.pgmf. Is there somewhere else or something else I should be doing.

Cheers

Nicky
Sorry Nicky

this pgmf file is for the new blue Fortius version of Catalyst which comes included with any real life video or VR terrain. :wink:

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:15 pm

When I find some time I will make a RLV test that will be a climb that gets gradually steeper & steeper. I could fit it onto a RLV that does not take up all space available. The idea will be to hold speed & cadence steady & get as far up the climb as possible.

SergeL

Mont Ventoux hill training

Post by SergeL » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:33 am

Phil,

I have the Mont ventoux RLV.
But I would like to ask if you have or are willing to make a pgmf file containing the climb from Bedoin to the top so I can use this in Catalyst.
I have the different grades but those are only segmented every km. I would like to train on a more realistic grade change.

Or maybe someone on this forum who did climb the Mont Ventoux from Bedoin and has recorderd the profile with a Polar 710 with altitude ??

Thx
Serge

Tacx Video Production

Re: Mont Ventoux hill training

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:58 am

SergeL wrote:Phil,

I have the Mont ventoux RLV.
But I would like to ask if you have or are willing to make a pgmf file containing the climb from Bedoin to the top so I can use this in Catalyst.
I have the different grades but those are only segmented every km. I would like to train on a more realistic grade change.

Or maybe someone on this forum who did climb the Mont Ventoux from Bedoin and has recorderd the profile with a Polar 710 with altitude ??

Thx
Serge

We wanted to film the Bedoin road but it was closed for resurfacing when we were there & this year it was too far to go. You can do the last 6km of this way up by just riding the Sault side as the bedoin road intersects the sault one where you see the café. It looks like the sault side but its just steeper & shorter. I may have a Polar file of this side but it will take some hunting down. If anyone has it I will make a profile for you as well as a version for the Cosmos

BigE

Post by BigE » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:59 pm

Hello Phil....interesting stuff

So you can create a route using a polar profile? Can anyone do this or is this something only TACX personnel can.

I'd be interested in hearing how RLVs are created. I'm a CMIS major and looking for an interesting senior project. You can email me off line or tell me to sling my hook especially if its not open source.

unfitguy

Post by unfitguy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:00 am

Any more tests out there ive got the MAPTest any one got the conconi test is this the same

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:35 am

unfitguy wrote:Any more tests out there ive got the MAPTest any one got the conconi test is this the same
its more or less the same thing, the Conconi test is not really used anymore. MAP seems to be the in thing nowdays.

The best test of all though is to do 3 short time trials like:

1minute (anaerobic power),
5minutes (VO2)
12minutes (high%LT).

With this you can get a better idea of where you are at condition wise. If you have been doing a lot of miles then your 12min Power may rise & your top end power may drop. If you have stooped for a few weeks after a hard years racing you may find your top end power has actually increased & LT power has dropped. If you are like me & have stopped for ages then everything will have dropped but the top end 1min power will be not so much.

Its this info that can help decide where you need to focus your training.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 28, 2006 11:26 am

Phil,
Please could you repost the link for the Conconi test as the files seems to have been moved. Thanks

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sun May 28, 2006 12:05 pm

Andrew wrote:Phil,
Please could you repost the link for the Conconi test as the files seems to have been moved. Thanks
There is a MapTest & a test which is used by Quickstep to test riders such as Tom Boonen here http://www.tacx-video.com/Downloads/Cosmos The profiles pack has a load of Cosmos friendly climbs & profiles to try out.

srjosepz

Post by srjosepz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:47 pm

Hello

I am interested in any test i can get.

Things live VO2 max, AT, MAP etc are knows by me, but the way i can get its values are a mistery...

I saw any test on the www but i get different values, and i don't know what of the test give me the right data, for my training zones, AT, VO2 etc.

Andre77ab

Post by Andre77ab » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi Phil,....I've a brand new Fortius T1940, I've tried the link but doesn't work, where can I dowload the Conconi or MAP test?

charliedurrant

Post by charliedurrant » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:15 am

The link seems to go somewhere odd. Does anyone know where the files can be downloaded from?

stoobydale

Post by stoobydale » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:59 pm

HI, Would it be possible to repost the MAP link? That one seems dead now.
Cheers,
Stu.

Return to “Cosmos”