IronMan France to be filmed in 2013

Everything about Triathlon

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn

Z74

IronMan France to be filmed in 2013

Post by Z74 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:18 pm

After speaking with Phil I was astonished at finding out there's no project to record on blu ray the most scenic and hardest IM Bike course in the world.

I hope you will reconsider. :oops:

IRONFAB95

Post by IRONFAB95 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Agreed It miss some Ironman bike races. Nice will be great !! :twisted:

Z74

Post by Z74 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:45 am

IRONFAB95 wrote:Agreed It miss some Ironman bike races. Nice will be great !! :twisted:
Phil recently posted on FB TacX group about the most voted IM bike courses... I didn't want to remark by doubling my old post on the fact that IMFR is the most scenic and by global claim the hardest of the IM courses... the votes confirmed that.

We need the IM courses but the problem is that when the race is going on you can't step in (unless you pay WTC) and when it's not going on, filming 180km of a particular track seems an impossible task.

For example, Promenade des Englais is one of the most trafficked roads in France when the IM is not going on. How do you film that? At dawn? :)

I'm sure TacX will figure something out about these particular tracks. I'm talking of Nice because it's scenic but Cozumel is also very nice. Lanzarote is also scenic and has strong winds... plenty of possibilities. Don't know about IMDE but surely the IMHI is vastly overrated. It's basically a FLAT ride and no fun in comparison.

IRONFAB95

Post by IRONFAB95 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:06 pm

If somebody have a Gopro (cam) on his bike, we could have this film . I'm sure some triathlete do it during their race. I already saw on Youtube similar videos.

Z74

Post by Z74 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 pm

IRONFAB95 wrote:If somebody have a Gopro (cam) on his bike, we could have this film . I'm sure some triathlete do it during their race. I already saw on Youtube similar videos.
All I need is for my knee to heal... I am a "regular" in Nice but this is going to be the 2nd year I have to skip due to injury. :(

Tacx Video Production

Re: No IronMan France?

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:15 pm

It looks like Tacx are going to make Triathlon a priority this year, We will film Ironman France for sure either in the event or outside as a standard (Recon) RLV that any cyclist can enjoy. Same goes for Lanzarote, Im already looking for a cheap flight :wink:

Z74

Re: No IronMan France?

Post by Z74 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:It looks like Tacx are going to make Triathlon a priority this year, We will film Ironman France for sure either in the event or outside as a standard (Recon) RLV that any cyclist can enjoy. Same goes for Lanzarote, Im already looking for a cheap flight :wink:
I know, I've just read on FB but I also mailed the TacX support asking to give you a different and I think more profitable "assignment" that still involves you flying around. :D

HHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

IRONFAB95

Re: IronMan France to be filmed in 2013

Post by IRONFAB95 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:43 pm

cool good news

Tacx Video Production

Re:

Post by Tacx Video Production » Wed May 08, 2013 9:54 pm

Z74 wrote:
IRONFAB95 wrote:Agreed It miss some Ironman bike races. Nice will be great !! :twisted:
Phil recently posted on FB TacX group about the most voted IM bike courses... I didn't want to remark by doubling my old post on the fact that IMFR is the most scenic and by global claim the hardest of the IM courses... the votes confirmed that.

We need the IM courses but the problem is that when the race is going on you can't step in (unless you pay WTC) and when it's not going on, filming 180km of a particular track seems an impossible task.

For example, Promenade des Englais is one of the most trafficked roads in France when the IM is not going on. How do you film that? At dawn? :)

I'm sure TacX will figure something out about these particular tracks. I'm talking of Nice because it's scenic but Cozumel is also very nice. Lanzarote is also scenic and has strong winds... plenty of possibilities. Don't know about IMDE but surely the IMHI is vastly overrated. It's basically a FLAT ride and no fun in comparison.
We filmed it a few weeks ago for a BluRay, The only issue is the start & finish has a lot of traffic like you said. I think the best bet will be to simply cut this out as its just a few kilometers of dead straight traffic hell & just focus the ride on what you would do in real life if you were to go there with your bike to train on the route. So I think I will probably to do the big scenic mountain loop & the out & back road to Nice which you need for a bit of a warm up/cool down! This will result in a great regular RLV for anyone to train on & give anyone interested in actually doing the race a useful 160-170+-km recon ride of the key climbs & places. Most of the roads round the back of the route were completely traffic free. We also did the Pays d'Aix for a great DVD.

I think as these more scenic rides of event routes have a dual use for both triathletes & road riders Im not going to bother with attempting to perfectly film the start & ends of the events & simply focus on getting the main bulk of the actual event (the bit of the race that will make a difference to you). This is the same as we do if filming say a Classic like the Milan San Remo or Lombardy. You have all the key roads & climbs that anyone doing (or watching) the event will need to know about....but the finish line is not quite the same if your sitting behind a bus.

Both films look freaking awesome!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4744_o.jpg Pays d'Aix

dougleybourne

Re: Re:

Post by dougleybourne » Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4744_o.jpg Pays d'Aix
Ah ha! You have finally revealed the secret!

Z74

Post by Z74 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:37 am

You need to do La Promenade at dawn, trust me get there at 6.30 on a normal working day and then ATTACH the movie parts. You can't take the Promenade out of the course, you simply CAN'T, it's too important.

This year, IMFR is on June 23rd. I am sure by the beginning of the month you could meet a lot of PRO bikes (P5, Shiv, etc) while filming but, also, if you look at the calendars, you will ALWAYS know what time there'll be light. Go there and film it AT DAWN, then go back and film it again. In the end you can attach the 2 parts and you have the complete 180.4km route. :)

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Thu May 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Z74 wrote:You need to do La Promenade at dawn, trust me get there at 6.30 on a normal working day and then ATTACH the movie parts. You can't take the Promenade out of the course, you simply CAN'T, it's too important.
We are not going back to film it with no traffic we simply dont have the time. You have at least 160km of the route which when you think about it is a fair bit more then you would do on a trainer in one hit! I may make a the promenade part into a free download for anyone that wants to ride it. But if I feel the traffic is too bad (still need to look at the footage) I will cut it out. It has to be an enjoyable ride for everyone, its not just for looking at but rather a tool for training. Simply do a the start in Catalyst or Google Earth & then switch to the RLV to do the 6hrs or so mountain loop.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri May 10, 2013 8:50 am

I decided to pull the idea of making this into a BluRay, would cause too many complaints. There is a lot of very scenic footage here though so may at some point split it up for downloads which will at least help you practice some of the hills etc.

gruffle

Post by gruffle » Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 am

Tacx Video Production wrote:I decided to pull the idea of making this into a BluRay, would cause too many complaints.
well I am complaining that you pulled it!

I simply don't see why, when you have bluray quality available, Tacx do not release this.
This is Tacx prime advantage for heavens sake.

and despite your assurances it won't happen, I would be most irritated to buy the DVD only to see a Bluray version released in future that I am expected to pay all over for.
Not only that, but to fit a DVD routes are being shortened too - Etape 2013 for example could easily fit on a Bluray, however we get a download+DVD as two separate RLVs. Not the ideal way to ride the whole stage.

The most straightforward way is to provide both media in the same pack.

DVD RLV has a DVD in the pack.
Bluray RLV have Bluray + DVD in the pack.

gruffle

Post by gruffle » Fri May 10, 2013 11:45 pm

okay - i'm sold - when is it released?
:D

Z74

Post by Z74 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 am

The filming OUT of the IronMan race makes this scenery even more fascinating, if possible.

I've got to say, as a regular in Nice, that the PEOPLE are a factor. The guys spraying you with water, the constant cheering, the colors, chanting, flags... some pictoresque characters with fancy caps and shirts...

... memories.

I can see after every single bend in these pictures what's coming next... my heart and mind will be in Nice on June 23rd and I have one more regret for missing it this year... the fact I have a GoPro3 and could have filmed the whole Promenade 10 times over for TacX in the Thu/Fri scouting bike sessions I usually do pre-race.

I've been waiting for this course ever since I've had my Fortius MP. I can't believe this is going to be released without the Promenade but I hope it's added later on somehow.

Return to “Triathlon”