Erratic slope changes in VR

All information on TTS 4

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

Loek

Erratic slope changes in VR

Post by Loek » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:54 pm

When trying the Montagna VR terrain, I noticed the slope number is very erratic. For example, for 1 second the slope is +3%, while a few seconds later it's -3%, and a few seconds later back to a positive slope. It goes like this constantly. It's almost impossible to keep up with changing gears on the bike. Is this a known problem? This can't the intention, right? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, the rider seems to move from the left side of the road to the right side and back many times. So also this is very erratic. Is this normal?

ttelmah

Re: Erratic slope changes in VR

Post by ttelmah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Have a look at this thread:
<viewtopic.php?f=68&t=34501>

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:29 pm

I can't recall the bicycle ever doing a very good job of staying in one lane on the VR courses. The software seems to often draw a straight line and cut corners rather than follow the curvature of the road. Maybe it is doing what a racer would do rather than a recreational cyclist. But even aside from corners, it also seems to be pretty jiggly at times. About the only way to prevent this is to have a Backtrack steerer, which I don't think is well made and wears out fairly quickly. It is also a little irritating to be doing steering moves all the time and not really stimulating. And using a steerer really does not feel at all like steering a bike in real life where you lean to steer rather than turn a wheel. It is more like steering a car in a video arcade game.

UKDave

Post by UKDave » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Loek wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Also, the rider seems to move from the left side of the road to the right side and back many times. So also this is very erratic. Is this normal?
I agree with the slope issue. It seems also that when riding against the bots, they slow down on the ascent more, then they absolutely whizz past on the descent, so much so that if there is another ascent close to it, you have no chance of getting up there first.

In terms of steering, there are a couple of things to consider. One is the view you ride with and the camera position. I find that if you look at the position of the bike on the road, it does keep a consistent distance from the edge most of the time (see point 2), however, the camera floats a little behind and does not react as quick to bike changes (which is good as I can get motion sickness with fast movements), this may make it look like the position is moving, but it is not.

The second point is if you have the steering frame, sometimes the calibration drifts, which causes the virtual rider to move left or right gradually over a time, eventually bumping into the edges. I usually have to calibrate every week or so to stop this happening.
--
UKDave

Loek

Post by Loek » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm

UKDave wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:19 pm
In terms of steering, there are a couple of things to consider. One is the view you ride with and the camera position. I find that if you look at the position of the bike on the road, it does keep a consistent distance from the edge most of the time (see point 2), however, the camera floats a little behind and does not react as quick to bike changes (which is good as I can get motion sickness with fast movements), this may make it look like the position is moving, but it is not.
Hi Dave, it's not just the camera position. If I choose the view with the rider, it really rides from the left side of the road to the right side of the road and back again all the time. Normally, we would always stay on the right side of the road :-). It seems to cut corners like crazy.

Loek

Post by Loek » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:55 pm

ttelmah wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm
Have a look at this thread:
<viewtopic.php?f=68&t=34501>
Mm, was indeed riding the Montagna terrain. Apparently not the best choice I see now... :). I'll try the other ones.

Loek

Post by Loek » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:57 pm

mcorn wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:29 pm
I can't recall the bicycle ever doing a very good job of staying in one lane on the VR courses. The software seems to often draw a straight line and cut corners rather than follow the curvature of the road. Maybe it is doing what a racer would do rather than a recreational cyclist. But even aside from corners, it also seems to be pretty jiggly at times. About the only way to prevent this is to have a Backtrack steerer, which I don't think is well made and wears out fairly quickly. It is also a little irritating to be doing steering moves all the time and not really stimulating. And using a steerer really does not feel at all like steering a bike in real life where you lean to steer rather than turn a wheel. It is more like steering a car in a video arcade game.
Thanks for your opinion, mcorn. The steering indeed is pretty jiggly, not just cutting corners.

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 pm

UKDave wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:19 pm
I agree with the slope issue. It seems also that when riding against the bots, they slow down on the ascent more, then they absolutely whizz past on the descent, so much so that if there is another ascent close to it, you have no chance of getting up there first.
Yes it gets really annoying when you are pedaling hard, and they coast past you... :?

Return to “Tacx Trainer software 4”