Laptop recommendations for running TTS4

All information on TTS 4

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

misterEd

Laptop recommendations for running TTS4

Post by misterEd » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Hello!

Hoping the forum can help me out with recommending a laptop for running TTS4.

I’m a mac user so I have no other use for a windows machine other than to run TTS4, given that and the following requirements do people have any recommendations:

- No interest in running any of the VR / video features of TTS4 I just want to be able to run training sessions based on time / power levels

- Laptop would be small / light / minimal as possible given that I have no other use for it

- I would look to pick something up second hand on eBay or similar

- Price to be kept to a minimum for something with good build quality and reliability

Many Thanks! :)

(I’ve tried using parallels but it wasn’t reliable enough)

ttelmah

Re: Laptop recommendations for running TTS4

Post by ttelmah » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Parallels does run TTS OK, but needs to be running in full screen mode to perform at all well. It is though very dependent on what resources the machine has, and how much of these you allocate to be available to Windows.
Key problem is that TTS is very reliant on graphics performance, so you need a machine that has a separate graphic chip. Look for something that has a Nvidea GeForce 940M or above in basic graphic benchmarks.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:58 am

You might find a refurbished desktop with separate medium-quality 1 GB video card would be more economic, particularly if you connect a large screen video display through an HDMI cable. Having a smaller SSD for the operating system and programs and a larger conventional hard drives for videos works well. The CPU should be at least a 3 GHz quadcore and there should be at least 8 GB of memory.

wasupwitdat1

Post by wasupwitdat1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm

You don't even have to get a full size desktop PC or a laptop. You can get some powerful NUC's which is smaller than the size of a brick that you can travel with and like mcorn said just use the TV's HDMI to connect the display. Not sure but you might even be able to use the TV's in the hotel rooms or just about anywhere. You would still need to use a keyboard in which case I would recommend the Logitech K830 which is small portable and wireless with an integrated mouse pad. Granted it may end up costing a tad more than a used PC but would have more benefits. :idea:
NEO W2017
TTS4 Ves 4.22.4.0
Panasonic 42" Plasma
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
Intel i7 3770 @ 3.9 GHz
16Gb Ram @ 1600 MHz
Nvidia GTX 980 4095 Mb Mem
Samsung 840 Pro 256G Hard Drive
Corsair 860 PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Yes, when I suggested desktop, I was not ruling out a very compact type such as a NUC (there are other compact mini-ITX desktops less expensive than an Intel NUC that use AMD CPU's). Laptops carry a bit of a premium price.

misterEd

Post by misterEd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

So I would be using my mac with an external monitor (mac thunderbolt display so couldn’t use it with a pc) to watch cycling videos/tv etc on while cycling.

I’d rather a laptop with a small screen so that it doesn’t take up space (which I don’t really have) and can be put away in a drawer when not in use. (there’s not really any room for another monitor, keyboard, mouse etc)

Also, when I was using parallels I was watching videos on the MacBook pro (Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, 8GB ram) as well so it may have just been asking too much of it.

Re: 8GB 3 GHz quadcore - doesn’t that sound quite a lot if I’m not planning on using anything video related and won’t have anything else running on the laptop?

Something like a used Lenovo Yoga 11inch is looking interesting if anyone has any experience/thoughts?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:14 pm

misterEd wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Also, when I was using parallels I was watching videos on the MacBook pro (Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, 8GB ram) as well so it may have just been asking too much of it.

Re: 8GB 3 GHz quadcore - doesn’t that sound quite a lot if I’m not planning on using anything video related and won’t have anything else running on the laptop?
Maybe you should try Parallels again with nothing else running and more resources assigned to Windows.

I would say that the 8GB 3 GHz is pretty much a minimum. Some newer dual-core Intel CPU's would be okay, but older Intel or AMD dual-core CPU's may not work very well.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:00 am

I wonder a bit what‘s the trainer at issue here. The only reason to use TTS4 to run simple workouts is a non-Smart trainer. Depending on the trainer model, getting a Smart one and running those workouts from the smartphone using the Training App could be cheaper than getting an extra computer to run a non-Smart trainer with overkill software. A Flow Smart comes at 250€, a Vortex Smart at 340€ and there‘s not much in terms of PC power to be had for that money.

misterEd

Post by misterEd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:20 am

Trainer is the Tacx Neo, sorry I should have mentioned that.

I had a look at the app when it first came out but looks like it's moved on a bit since then, I'll have another look at it, thanks

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:51 pm

The mobile app is somewhat minimalist, but Tacx will soon be releasing a new desktop application for smart trainers. However, I don't think the desktop app will need any less in the way of computer resources than TTS4.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 pm

The Desktop App may focus on RLVs. But there also is the Tacx Cycling App for Tablets that can control the Neo and offers the required training capabilities for free.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:59 pm

misterEd wrote: I’m a mac user
No interest in running any of the VR / video features of TTS4 I just want to be able to run training sessions based on time / power levels
Trainer is the Tacx Neo
Golden Cheetah is available on the Mac.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

misterEd

Post by misterEd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 pm
The Desktop App may focus on RLVs. But there also is the Tacx Cycling App for Tablets that can control the Neo and offers the required training capabilities for free.

I’ve never looked at the tablet app, I assumed it was just the same as the phone app but it sounds like it’s not?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:44 pm

misterEd wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 pm
thebigoneinfront wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 pm

I’ve never looked at the tablet app, I assumed it was just the same as the phone app but it sounds like it’s not?
There are 3 mobile apps: cycling, training, and utility. Cycling has the most features, training is bare-bones, and utility is for firmware updates and checking out the system. Try them and see if any are what you want. Cycling app is used on tablets as you need a bit more screen space to work with it. Information is here:

https://tacx.com/apps-software/

Muleguy

Post by Muleguy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 am

If you are still looking for a laptop - I've found this one to work quite well: Dell Latitude E6430. This is an older model but available with NVidea Graphics Card. You can dump 8 GB RAM into it and it will fly if buy an SSD - also has DVD available for it if you have any older RLV's on Disk. I'm using it with regular HD and I have no problems running Catalyst or RLV on it. I have tried VR, but only simple stuff and not for long - but it seems to work - just am typically training with intervals on Catalyst and switching to RLV once a week for endurance rides. Should be lots of these available used for less than $500. Also, runs Windows 10 no problem and drivers are still available for it.

- Hugh

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:48 am

Tacx released its new subscription unlimited video software yesterday for Windows 10 a mac version is on the way later this winter https://tacx.com/product/tacx-software/

Return to “Tacx Trainer software 4”