Tacx Real Life Video crashing at a certain time

All info on TTS3

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

richos

Tacx Real Life Video crashing at a certain time

Post by richos » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:10 am

On my 11-year old Tacx Fortius, running TTS 3.13, I have occasionally over the years had the Real Life DVD I'm training with just stop, even though I'm still pedaling. Often I'll stop pedaling, then the video will run at high speed to "catch up" I suppose. Usually the run cannot be saved, and usually any attempt to do so causes the software to crash. This has happened with several DVDs, several courses.

This has happened on 5 of my last 6 sessions on the trainer. And like previous instances of this, the DVD always "stops" at a certain time into the session, 1:27:22. Or at least a number of seconds after I've been on a course for one hour and 27 minutes.

Does this sound like a known bug? Software?

I am looking for solutions.

If the advice is to acquire TTS4, then I'll be asking about compatibility with my existing computer.
-Rich of Eagan, MN

mcorn

Re: Tacx Real Life Video crashing at a certain time

Post by mcorn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:51 am

You did not say too much about your PC or operating system, but my first inclination was you may not have enough horsepower.

One thing you can do is use Windows Task Manager to see how much of your PC resources are being used up. Be sure to have Task Manager on top so you can see what your CPU, memory, and GPU load are. If they are getting over 90%, then this could be your problem.

It may help to delete or move older run files.

TTS3 is a legacy product and has not been updated in years. Sometimes a program that bombs out after a certain period of time can be a symptom of a memory leak that eventually deprives the PC of any available memory as the program runs.

Your other answer may simply be to limits individual rides to no more than an hour, at which point you stop and reboot.

Not sure about the remaining product life for TTS4. Even though it is currently being supported and updated, bugs seem to take a while to get fixed. Because you have the USB-connected Fortius, your options are limited. If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, your can always use the older (and free) Fortius software, which runs videos quite well, although the newer Tacx videos don't work. There are many 3d party videos that work with the Fortius software, however.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:19 am

It is possible that the Google function fails. Try to do the same without connecting to the Internet.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

richos

Post by richos » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:25 pm

My PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1. I t has 4 GB of RAM, a 64-bit OS, AMD 2.80 Ghz processor.

I connect it directly to the router via cable, start it up, excellent high-speed internet connection (of course), download SystemRequirementsTesterInstaller_v120.exe, install the System Requirements Tester, and run it. It errs, with the message "Unknown error while trying to connect to the webservice..."--yes, I have an internet connection, and have already connected to www.tacx.com.

I am able to start my TTS 3.13. I right-click on the System Requirements Tester, and select Troubleshoot compatibility. It suggests "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". I get the same "Unknown error while trying to connect to the webservice...". I try next and "don't see my problem listed", opting for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).--same "Unknown error".

I run the System Requirements Tester as an Administrator. Same error. I restart the PC. Same Problem with various settings.

For the heck of it, I empty the RLV/Runs directory (52 files). No luck getting System Requirements Tester to realize there is an internet. Yet I could almost swear that in the last hour it got past this and then more or less "hung".

So I wonder if 1) I should install Windows 10 (or what?); and/or 2) upgrade the PC to 8 GB of RAM; and 3) buy the basic version of TTS4 assuming the System Requirements Tester now runs and says I'm okay. Whatever I need to do, the plan is to keep using all the Real Life DVDs I've downloaded on this PC.

When the Tacx hardware, say the motorbrake poops out again, and I decide to buy what I need to keep using this PC and my downloaded RLVs, then I'll want to know what allows me to keep using TTS4. My impression from one reply is that it's "going away", or something like that. If I'm replacing my Tacx trainer with another Tacx trainer (Neo Smart? What would work) but trying to maintain use of my computer/downloads, well, that's in the future. Then I'll be asking again what to do and what to buy, as it still isn't clear what someone scrapping their Tacx fortius set-up does in replacing it with the equivalent, while retaining the ability to sit on the trainer and control the RLV run on the PC.
-Rich of Eagan, MN

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:51 pm

As suggested above, have you tried Task Manager to see what your CPU and memory utilization are?

I just downloaded and ran the System Requirements tester onto my W10 PC and in worked fine, so possibly there is an issue with your PC or operating system. You might first think about doing a reinstall of Windows 7 and TTS3.

Your PC is a bit on the weak side by today's standards. What AMD CPU do you have? Is it an Athlon, Propus or Phenom. Dual or quad core? I upgraded my older AMD's to 3 GHz Phenom II Quad Core by purchasing a used B95 on eBay for around $20. It breathed a fair bit of life back into a number of PC's, including one I run TTS3, TTS4, and TDA on. Increasing memory to 8GB or 16GB (your PC may only take 8GB) would also help. You can also get a pretty good low power video card for around $100.

Of course, at the end of the day doing all of this as well as getting an SSD may not be worth it compared to buying a new PC. I usually keep my PC's for many years with gradual upgrades. You can get good refurbished Dell desktops with W10 preinstalled for around $300 to $400.

richos

Post by richos » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:36 pm

At least for the time being, the key to all my issues was in what I mentioned previously: "For the heck of it, I empty the RLV/Runs directory (52 files)."

Since doing that, I have had no issues with the software "seizing up".

Occasionally there has been some jerkiness with the Real Life DVDs, which may be attributed to lack of pressure between the rear tire and motorbrake (upping this pressure a bit usually averts further issues). The motorbrake is quite noisy on downhills at speed, and I suppose I'll eventually have to re-drill the holes and re-glue the plate on, or have to find another one for sale.

In time, I seemingly will have to replace the Tacx trainer, at which point I'll be back on this forum refreshing my knowledge of what sort of PC I'll need, etc. For now I 'd like to say I appreciate the responses I get here.
-Rich of Eagan, MN

Return to “Tacx Trainer Software 3”