Install Videos on USB 3.0 Thumb Drive

Information about 32/64 bit on all OS systems and software versions

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

MSPTacx

Install Videos on USB 3.0 Thumb Drive

Post by MSPTacx » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Has anyone tried to install the videos to a USB 3.0 thumb drive?

The reason for asking is that I have a laptop with only a 128GB flash drive. I don't have enough room to install the videos that I have. If I could put the Tacx Videos on a USB 3.0 Thumb drive that would work perfectly for me.

If you've tried it, or if you have another suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

mcorn

Re: Install Videos on USB 3.0 Thumb Drive

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:29 pm

MSPTacx wrote:Has anyone tried to install the videos to a USB 3.0 thumb drive?

The reason for asking is that I have a laptop with only a 128GB flash drive. I don't have enough room to install the videos that I have. If I could put the Tacx Videos on a USB 3.0 Thumb drive that would work perfectly for me.

If you've tried it, or if you have another suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve
Why not get an external USB harddrive? The thumb drive will fill up pretty quickly, but should work as long as it is fast enough. What kind of laptop do you have? Have you confirmed it has enough power to run the software?

MSPTacx

Post by MSPTacx » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks MCorn. The laptop is an Asus UX31E ultrabook, I think it will have enough RAM and CPU to drive TACX. I had the same thought as you after pricing USB thumb drives, I'm now trying an install on a USB 2.0 HD that I have. We'll see if this works. I think the USB 3.0 external drive will be the way to go.

MSPTacx

Post by MSPTacx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:46 am

Here is what I've experienced so far:
It didn't work to put the TTS software onto the USB 2 drive. I was not able to get the update to 4.9 to install. So, I'm running the software on the SSD drive on the laptop.

Installing the videos on the USB 2.0 external drive works, but it isn't perfect. The videos are a little jerky, the scene descriptions do not come up in sync and the "laugh track" what I call the resistance, isn't as well-timed. On my first try I had my first-ever TTS crash.

My previous setup was to have TTS installed on an older tower PC with a pretty good graphics card and SSD drive. Installed software kept to a minimum, only a program for my rower installed (Row Pro) I had the Tacx videos on the SSD drive. That setup worked well, never had a crash.

I'll try getting a USB 3.0 drive. I'm open to ideas, I need the TTS software to be portable, hence the move to the laptop.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:21 pm

MSPTacx wrote:Here is what I've experienced so far:
It didn't work to put the TTS software onto the USB 2 drive. I was not able to get the update to 4.9 to install. So, I'm running the software on the SSD drive on the laptop.

Installing the videos on the USB 2.0 external drive works, but it isn't perfect. The videos are a little jerky, the scene descriptions do not come up in sync and the "laugh track" what I call the resistance, isn't as well-timed. On my first try I had my first-ever TTS crash.

My previous setup was to have TTS installed on an older tower PC with a pretty good graphics card and SSD drive. Installed software kept to a minimum, only a program for my rower installed (Row Pro) I had the Tacx videos on the SSD drive. That setup worked well, never had a crash.

I'll try getting a USB 3.0 drive. I'm open to ideas, I need the TTS software to be portable, hence the move to the laptop.
I would not have suggested putting the program on anything other than the C Drive as there could be a number of issues, including authentication and performance.

I think a lot of users have an external drive for the videos, but you do need good performance.

Also, don't rule out the laptop as the cause in terms of system memory (should be 8 Gb) and a good video card.

MSPTacx

Post by MSPTacx » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:31 pm

Took it for another run today and it ran perfectly.

When it crashed yesterday I had the laptop in a power saving mode. With that turned off, the videos looked just as they did when I had everything on SSD, on the mini-tower. The setup now is the software is on the laptop's on-board SSD. The films are on an external USB 2.0 Drive.

Next step, I'll move the videos to a brand-new USB 3.0 external drive. Given the experience I had today with the films on the USB 2.0 drive, I'm sure it will work great.

Thanks!

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:24 pm

MSPTacx wrote:Next step, I'll move the videos to a brand-new USB 3.0 external drive. Given the experience I had today with the films on the USB 2.0 drive, I'm sure it will work great.
I am thinking that if you want to go all in, then you should just run Windows 8 from a flash drive (256gb USB 3.0) then you can install TTS and RLV to the flash drive.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:12 pm

ms6073 wrote:I am thinking that if you want to go all in, then you should just run Windows 8 from a flash drive (256gb USB 3.0) then you can install TTS and RLV to the flash drive.
I would be surprised if the external flash drive performance was as good or as reliable as the SSD in his laptop.

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 pm

Yeah, good point. Although Snewer USB 3.0 flash drives can read and write data at up to 124MB/s, SSDs are significantly faster than even the fastest USB flash drives, usually transferring up to 360MB/s, whereas traditional hard drives typicall top out at between 120MB/s to 165MB/s. I think in addition only USB 3.0 ports, my laptop also has a ESata connector allowing connection to external SSDs.
Samsung 32" LED TV

JTunn

Post by JTunn » Tue May 12, 2015 1:01 pm

I think you should just get an external ssd hard drive and use that for all your large files. I have mine sitting on my desk with a large movie collection which I then hook up to my tv, and I gotta say the thing reads at the speed of light comparing to any other standard HDD I've had.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri May 15, 2015 5:00 pm

JTunn wrote:I think you should just get an external ssd hard drive and use that for all your large files. I have mine sitting on my desk with a large movie collection which I then hook up to my tv, and I gotta say the thing reads at the speed of light comparing to any other standard HDD I've had.
I guess I have about 30 drives visible from my desk from super expensive 1TB SSDs, USB3 & thunderbolt raids & boxes of the things on the shelf. When recording I now fill 500GB every 60minutes so I need a lot of space.

For TTS you only need a 2.5" USB3 external, USB 3 is fast enough being many times faster then the read speed of the actual drive. TTS only reads the video at about 1MB/sec (most of the times much lower especially when climbing) which is at least 30x less then even the slowest hard drive...SSD being many times faster then a standard hard drive is a bit of a over kill :wink:

You can pick up a 1TB USB3 external hard drive for €50 - €70 if you shop about, enough space for the entire tacx collection thats on sale right now.. A SSD is great if you need to move the files about though!

mantu

Post by mantu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm looking for a new 1TB SSD,
can anyone help me to find the best one?

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:51 pm

mantu wrote:I'm looking for a new 1TB SSD,
can anyone help me to find the best one?
I use the Samsung 1TB drives, seem to be very reliable so far!

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:20 pm

Ooh, nice. I have gotten the impression that many in the IT industry consider Samsung SSD's to be the class leaders, just cost prohibitive as an aftermarket choice for the average consumer.
Samsung 32" LED TV

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:16 pm

ms6073 wrote:Ooh, nice. I have gotten the impression that many in the IT industry consider Samsung SSD's to be the class leaders, just cost prohibitive as an aftermarket choice for the average consumer.
Used "CRUCIAL" ssd's for few years now without issue 1tb recent aqquisition
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:08 pm

malfukt wrote:
ms6073 wrote:Ooh, nice. I have gotten the impression that many in the IT industry consider Samsung SSD's to be the class leaders, just cost prohibitive as an aftermarket choice for the average consumer.
Used "CRUCIAL" ssd's for few years now without issue 1tb recent aqquisition
Ive had two crucial die on me, one of them had an awesome RLV from a TDF route we had filmed near Embrun the day after we filmed Semnoz in the snow. I think its all probably just luck, I put the drives through a tmuch tougher life then they would get normally...but that was a bitter day, what was worse was I watched the footage at the motel on the SSD before it decided to commit suicide...at the time it was the best we had. The lessen learned was back up the footage directly, I now take TBs of space if we go filming, once its back here I have the original raw footage & a coloured 4K master on a separate drive. If either drives go I at least can regenerate a new master. Im kind of anal about the routing of never formating the recording media until just before the next filming trip...its gives me an extra temporary backup!

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:15 pm

, I put the drives through a much tougher life then they would get normally
Fair point.. :)
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta