God I Hate Windows!!!

Information about 32/64 bit on all OS systems and software versions

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

halgreene

God I Hate Windows!!!

Post by halgreene » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:07 pm

I was just nearing the end of an awesome 1-hr ride this morning, looking forward to saving it so I could compete against it, when Windows helpfully informed me that it had just finished installing an update and needed to restart, quitting Fortius in the process and losing my ride.

My Mac would NEVER do something like that.

I HATE WINDOWS AND I HATE BILL GATES!!!!

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm

In previous versions (XP, Vista, 2003) you could change the options for how Windows downloaded/installed updates - is that not the case for Windows 7?
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Yes, in Windows 7 you can configure updating in the same way. I never set it to automatic install. I usually set it to give me a notice without downloading. If you set it to notify you at bootup time, you can see if there are needed updates before doing your ride.

By the way, Apple does a lot more automatic stuff in the background compared to Windows, so don't blame Bill Gates.

Tony1044

Post by Tony1044 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:17 pm

So a Windows machine doesn't get patched and something nasty infects it - OS X wins because this can't happen (although you might want to research the new in-memory virus recently discovered by Kaspersky);

Or a Windows machine gets patched causing some annoyance along the way and OS X wins because this can't happen.

Hmmm.

Perhaps, as mcorn said, if you'd configured the automatic updates to download and inform you wouldn't get this?

Automatic updates have been a feature of Windows since Windows XP came out a decade ago, so why has this behaviour suddenly taken you by surprise?

Oh and I say this as an IT pro who uses a Macbook Pro as my personal computer, Linux on various servers, and Windows machines galore. PEBKAC

Jacy

Re: God I Hate Windows!!!

Post by Jacy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:04 am

I am with you!

But I need help please! I am running a MacBook Pro with parallels and windows 7.

I cannot run fils, as it says initialising please wait, and then nothing happens and the PC freezes, on reality rides it just comes up with a message that the program has crashed.

I have uninstalled and re installed 4.9, also installed the EVR register program and ran that, but no luck.

Any advice?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:06 am

Jacy wrote:I am with you!

But I need help please! I am running a MacBook Pro with parallels and windows 7.

I cannot run fils, as it says initialising please wait, and then nothing happens and the PC freezes, on reality rides it just comes up with a message that the program has crashed.

I have uninstalled and re installed 4.9, also installed the EVR register program and ran that, but no luck.

Any advice?
If videos are stuck initializing, you should try changing the video player in settings. VP1 usually has fewer problems.

dovuhg

Post by dovuhg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Does everything work for Win 8?

Return to “Windows 7 and others”