Fortius software in Windows 7 64 bit running in XP mode

Information about 32/64 bit on all OS systems and software versions

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

barnic74

Re: 32-bit virtual Machine, 64-bit host

Post by barnic74 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:08 pm

kirkkorver wrote:
barnic74 wrote: I have no suggestion but I use VirtualBox too (with WinXP Pro SP3) and it seems to work pretty well. At least TTS 1.3. I have installed TTS 2 but not tested it yet.
I have at least 2 problems at this time :
- the RealTime Training mode does not work. I can choose a gpx imported program but i can't launch it, it crashes the application.
Barnic,
What is your Host OS? Did you install Fortius also, or ONLY TTS? Did you install the guest additions?
The host OS is Windows 7 64bits. I do install guest additions to benefit from better screen resolution, better integration with host and for DirectX mode. And I only install TTS 1.3 then TTS 2.0 after uninstalling 1.3
I tested it yesterday and was a little disappointed because neither Catalyst, Realtime Training or Virtual mode works. Video and ergo modes are ok. I can see in logs that the problem is related to mixed and software vertex processing. I think it is related to 3D acceleration.

kirkkorver

Post by kirkkorver » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:43 pm

barnic74 wrote: I tested it yesterday and was a little disappointed because neither Catalyst, Realtime Training or Virtual mode works. Video and ergo modes are ok. I can see in logs that the problem is related to mixed and software vertex processing. I think it is related to 3D acceleration.
Are you sure DirectX is actually working? On my system, it required me to install the guest additions in 'safe mode' for them to actually install properly. Note, that it appeared they were installed, but they were not actually installed.

You can tell if they are installed by running in Windows XP, dxdiag (Start | Run | (type) dxdiag. Go to the display tab. In the middle of the screen, both "Direct Draw Acceleration" and "Direct3C acceleration" need to be enabled. I was never able to get "AGP Texture accelaration", but I do not think it is required.

This might fix your problems. But who knows. I cannot even get TTS to start at all.

Where are the 'logs' you are talking about in your previous post?

--Kirk

barnic74

Post by barnic74 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:04 am

kirkkorver wrote: Are you sure DirectX is actually working? On my system, it required me to install the guest additions in 'safe mode' for them to actually install properly. Note, that it appeared they were installed, but they were not actually installed.

You can tell if they are installed by running in Windows XP, dxdiag (Start | Run | (type) dxdiag. Go to the display tab. In the middle of the screen, both "Direct Draw Acceleration" and "Direct3C acceleration" need to be enabled. I was never able to get "AGP Texture accelaration", but I do not think it is required.

This might fix your problems. But who knows. I cannot even get TTS to start at all.
You are right. Direct3D acceleration was not enabled. I have just re-installed Guest Additions in safe mode and it seems to be enabled now. I will try it with the interface connected tonight or later tomorrow.
kirkkorver wrote: Where are the 'logs' you are talking about in your previous post?
Logs are in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Tacx\Logs" folder. For all users in my case but perhaps for current user depending on how you installed TTS.

zapiens1

VMware 7 on linux host with Windows XP Pro as guest

Post by zapiens1 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Why me? ;-)

From reading this post the combination should work, but the TACX registration program never detects the TACX Fortius connected to the USB port, neither does the training program.

Did you do anything with the USB, does it ues USB 1.1 or 2.0? I have run out of all ideas.

/dag

philmc

Fortius on Windows 7 using VMWare 3.0 works great

Post by philmc » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:52 am

Here is the checklist I followed in order to get Fortius running on my new Windows 7 computer.

From the getgo I skipped installing Virtual XP as Microsoft detailed on their website their virtual XP would not support graphics intensive programs. Thanks to the suggestions on this forum I went straight to VMWare. Here is the order of instillation.

Installed free VMWare Player 3.0. VM Ware Player asked if I wanted to create a virtual machine so I inserted my copy of Windows XP Professional. XP installed perfectly.

Updated XP to service pack 2 then service pack 3.

Windows 7 supports hardware virtualization. This is an option in the BIOS which I turned ON. Microsoft sytem requirements for setting up a Virtual PC on Windows are listed at - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... ments.aspx

Installed Fortius from the supplied disk which was version 2.0. I then did a manual update to 2.01 then 2.02 then 2.03 and finially 2.04. On the same update page is the Update Fortius Virtual Reality so I updated VR to 2.04.

Uninstalled the Fortius disk loaded ffdshow. Installed the latest stable version of ffsshow. All versions are posted. I selected the one that stated it was the lates stable version instead of the latest beta. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video ... fdshow.cfm

When I plugged in the Fortius USB cable Windows 7 said it found new hardware and automatically found the right driver. I opened Fortius trainer and the realtime video and VR worked perfectly. I chose to install the real life video Namur to Revin onto the harddrive. It works perfectly with no pausing which was the problem I had on my old XP laptop.

My current system is an HP Touchsmart 23" AllInOne - 1 TB HD - 8 gig Ram - Windows 64 bit Ultimate - Nvidia GeoForce GT230 graphics card.

I hope this help and thank you for all your help. :D
Last edited by philmc on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

Bikejoe

Fortius on Windows 7 using VMWare 3.0 works great

Post by Bikejoe » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:06 am

I installed vmware, xp with sp2 and 3 and Fortius with all the updates. But Fortius does not start. When I try to start, it shows a starting screen from tacx for a very short time, but it returns immediately back to the xp desktop. Are there some settings in vmware I have to change to get it work?

My System: windows 7 64 bit home premium, core2duo e6600, 2x nvidia 8800gt, 4 GB RAM

-Bikejoe

philmc

Turn on Hardware Virtualization in BIOS

Post by philmc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:57 am

"I installed vmware, xp with sp2 and 3 and Fortius with all the updates. But Fortius does not start. When I try to start, it shows a starting screen from tacx for a very short time, but it returns immediately back to the xp desktop. Are there some settings in vmware I have to change to get it work? "

I edited my post to include the requirement to turn on Hardware Virtualization in the BIOS of Windows 7. This is the first items on Microsofts website under requirements for setting up a Virtual PC - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... ments.aspx.

Also be sure to uninstall the ffdshow and update it with the latest stable version posted at http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video ... fdshow.cfm

pigasus

Post by pigasus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:27 pm

I knew I could count on you guys to have a solution for me. I'm about to get a new PC, Win7 64-bit Pro. The VMware Player solution looks a great idea. But I'm not clear if I will need to purchase another copy of Windows XP to load into it as I don't want to uninstall the XP OS from my soon to be old PC.

I found this nugget in the VMware documentation:

•Windows XP Mode Compatible — Import a Windows XP Mode virtual machine using VMware Player 3.0 and run the virtual machine without being prompted to enter a Windows XP license key. VMware Player enables the Windows XP Mode virtual machine to take advantage of more than one processor, render high-end graphics, integrate seamlessly with Unity, and transfer files easily with drag and drop, and shared folders. VMware Player also has the ability to run concurrently with Windows XP Mode.

If I use this method will it work? Or are all the limitations of the Windows XP Mode virtual machine implementation just carried across?

Sally

philmc

Importing XP Mode Into VMWare Player 3.0

Post by philmc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:05 pm

"If I use this method will it work? Or are all the limitations of the Windows XP Mode virtual machine implementation just carried across?"

This is the perfect solutions for those who do not have a copy of Windows XP. I was not aware this option existed until your post.

Just open VMWare Player 3.0. At the top of the VMWare Player window select File - Import Windows XP Mode VM. VMWare will install Windows XP. There is no requirement to provide a license key.

I did not install Fortius onto this VM as I already have it on another VM that is already setup. This should work though and I would like to hear if someone has success.

pigasus

Post by pigasus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:33 pm

I've read over all the messages in this thread again and there is something I'm not clear on.

I realise that I won't be able to run VR directly with the Windows XP Mode virtual machine . But will the Real Video stuff run in that virtualisation? Does it need DirectX? Because I can happily live with just the Real Video apps.

Sally

philmc

Real Life Video - Yes / Virtual Reality - Maybe

Post by philmc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:30 pm

I realise that I won't be able to run VR directly with the Windows XP Mode virtual machine . But will the Real Video stuff run in that virtualisation? Does it need DirectX? Because I can happily live with just the Real Video apps.

I created two Virtual Machines into VMWare Player. One was my copy with license of Windows XP Professional. The other is the "free" Windows XP Mode VM that is found on the installed VMWare file menu (File - Import Windows XP Mode VM). A license key is not required to install this copy of XP.

I installed the Fortius software into both Virtual machines. Fortius also installs Microsoft.Net, ffdshow, and Direct X.

I will update my previous post with more instillation information for those looking for a clean install and the comparative results of each XP virtual machine.

For now I can generally say that in either case the Real Life Video works fine in both cases. The Virtual Reality on the other had was a different story. On my licensed copy of XP I could ride the VR at the highest resolution, shading, textures, etc. without a skipped frame on a 23" monitor. On the XP Mode VM even at medium resolution there was skipped frames, inconsistency with starting VR, freezing, and no motion when the countdown timer hit zero. On several restart I was able to ride the course. If you have a good graphics card with adequate memory you may get better results. I only have one computer so I am not sure if this would make a difference.

I will provide more info in the coming days.

pigasus

Post by pigasus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:01 pm

OK. So now we know that importing the Windows XP Mode VM into VMWare Player works OK for Real Video. So maybe Real Video will work directly in Windows XP Mode VM without needing to use VMWare. Once I've gotten everything else organised on my new PC, I'll try that approach first.

Sally

philmc

VMWare Required for Windows XP Mode VM

Post by philmc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:42 pm

OK. So now we know that importing the Windows XP Mode VM into VMWare Player works OK for Real Video. So maybe Real Video will work directly in Windows XP Mode VM without needing to use VMWare
The only way to install Windows XP Mode VM is thru VMWare. You will have to install and use VMWare to use Windows XP Mode VM.

pigasus

Re: VMWare Required for Windows XP Mode VM

Post by pigasus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:32 pm

philmc wrote: The only way to install Windows XP Mode VM is thru VMWare. You will have to install and use VMWare to use Windows XP Mode VM.
Included with my Windows 7 Pro installation is a Microsoft virtual machine called Windows Virtual PC. I currently have Windows XP Mode installed there. I'm hopeful that I will be able to run Real Video in this setup and not need to install VMWare at all.

Sally

arnaud92

Re: Real Life Video - Yes / Virtual Reality - Maybe

Post by arnaud92 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:38 pm

philmc wrote: I created two Virtual Machines into VMWare Player. One was my copy with license of Windows XP Professional. The other is the "free" Windows XP Mode VM that is found on the installed VMWare file menu (File - Import Windows XP Mode VM). A license key is not required to install this copy of XP.
What do you mean exactly ?
I try to find this menu but couldn't , any help !

arnaud

philmc

Import Windows XP Mode VM

Post by philmc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:38 am

I try to find this menu but couldn't , any help
I assume you have VMWare Player installed. Open VMWare Player. Across the top you will see the file menu items - File - VM - Help. Select File. There is the option Import Windows XP Mode VM. Select that option to download Windows XP Mode VM.

I did not time the install but was less than 5 minutes. When I created a Virtual Machine using my licensed copy of XP the install took 40 minutes. :?:

Once Windows XP Mode VM is installed follow the steps in my previous post to install Fortius.

Good Luck

David Ardley

Post by David Ardley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Sounds positive - in general with fortius - what has the relative performance been compared to running on 32 bit windows - assuming the new laptops you are running on 64 bit are faster - have you been able to crank up the custom settings in VMware and get the performance - or do you have to wind them down due to performance constraints ?

I get my 64bit laptop next week - so I am hoping it does perform !

cyberjunk

Post by cyberjunk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:50 pm

David Ardley wrote:Sounds positive - in general with fortius - what has the relative performance been compared to running on 32 bit windows - assuming the new laptops you are running on 64 bit are faster - have you been able to crank up the custom settings in VMware and get the performance - or do you have to wind them down due to performance constraints ?

I get my 64bit laptop next week - so I am hoping it does perform !
David,

While the 64 bit Windows does run some applicaions faster it does not help with TTS 2. It is slow to load and appears to run as a 32 bit app based what I have observed as its upper memory limitations.

Jim

kinesin

Post by kinesin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:29 am

Thanks to the info in this thread I'm in the process of replacing my dedicated Shuttle PC (AMD Athlon 2500+) with a Vmware XP virtual machine under Windows 7 64bit. (Quad 6700+ ATI HD4850).

I'm using a Tacx flow with the green I-magic head unit and fortius software.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium edition (so don't have access to XP mode as it's not included) so had to install Vmware Player 3 and create new XP machine.
Decided to create the smallest XP image I could with only a 4 GB filesystem, and 1GB ram (change the pagefile size after install) which meant using CCleaner to remove rollback points, during updates etc but at backing up the VM is now super easy.

Installed the Fortius software to the c:\program files directory from v1.21 software disk and upgraded (about 8 times) to get 2.04. (Final size of the Tacx Fortius Directory was 1.06GB). During install the I-magic driver installed without an issue.

Now 4 GB isn't enough to install the RLVs. But I had a plan :-)
By using an external USB drive it can be mounting in the VM when it's running or available to the Windows7 when not. I would have used a Host network share disk but Fortius won't run from the share, so copied the Fortius software to the USD disk and it seems to run without problems.
The final plan is use the external USB driver under windows 7 and TTS 3 (if I decide to purchase) and to solve the duplication of RLV (I.e. not duplicating them) by using Junctions File/Hard links in windows 7.
By using the a small VM I can archive it with ease and reinstall the RLVs from disc (just copy the files rather than run the installer) to the external drive if it all dies at some point.

Fortius under VM seems to require the I-magic head unit to be unplugged/re-plugged once the VM had boot to software run, but I have similar problems on shuttle.

I've not yet played around too much with full screen or running it with dual monitor/TV - hopefully I should get chance later this week.

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:16 am

What a load. If I had to go through all that just to get a ride in, I'd hang it up. It's great you are able to screw with a PC to get this done but how many people really know much more than how to turn one on and type on the keys and load a program disc.
ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
AMD PhenomII 955 BE Quad 3.2Ghz CPU
HIS 5850 1G RAM GPU
250G WD VelociRaptor Hard Drive
4G Patriot PC8500 Memory
850W Silverstone PSU

Return to “Windows 7 and others”