Resistance control by Zwift stops working

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

martinknutson

Resistance control by Zwift stops working

Post by martinknutson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:10 am

I've had a Neo 1 since roughly May 2018, used primarily with Zwift. I updated the firmware with the Tacx app on the first day, and there is no new update. I use Zwift on a MacBook Pro, using the BTLE connection. There is no ANT+ sensor connected to the MacBook. Things worked fine until January, but sometime in January, I started having issues where, during a ride, Zwift will cease changing the resistance on the Neo. After that point, whatever the resistance was set at, it stays. The power and cadence are still read accurately by Zwift, so the BTLE connection hasn't been lost.

I have not changed the location of the Neo or the laptop by more than a few inches. I haven't added any devices that would generate interference. I have made sure the BT is disabled on my phones (Zwift support suggested that the Zwift Companion app might be stealing the connection to the Neo somehow).

If I power cycle the Neo (unplugging the power brick, and plugging it back in), and repair the Neo to Zwift, resistance control seems to return, although I haven't done it enough times to be sure it's an always thing.

The only thing I have been doing differently in January is that I started using Pandora on the MacBook to provide music during my rides. I'm having a hard time seeing how that could be connected, although the laptop does sit on top of the center channel, and the speaker might be emitting more RF than it does making tire and bird noises.

Unless the Neo just broke, I'm not sure how this could be the fault of the Neo, but Zwift support hasn't been very helpful. I'm hoping for advice from other Neo users.

Alex Masalovich

Re: Resistance control by Zwift stops working

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:35 am

martinknutson wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:10 am
I updated the firmware with the Tacx app on the first day, and there is no new update. I use Zwift on a MacBook Pro, using the BTLE connection.
Try rolling back the firmware. If necessary, go back to the latest version.
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... er-version
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=33780#p204718
At one time, the latest firmware version was not recommended for your combination:
If you use a macbook or osx with bluetooth connection with Zwift (this combination) do NOT implement this firmware. There is indeed something wrong with this combination.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TacxNeo ... 856272174/
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

martinknutson

Post by martinknutson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Try rolling back the firmware. If necessary, go back to the latest version.
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... er-version
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=33780#p204718
At one time, the latest firmware version was not recommended for your combination:
Thanks for the link. That's certainly the version I have installed, although I'm not clear on why the symptoms would only appear after 7 months. I'll contact Tacx support and see if this combination is still an issue.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:57 pm

martinknutson wrote:

The only thing I have been doing differently in January is that I started using Pandora on the MacBook to provide music during my rides. I'm having a hard time seeing how that could be connected, although the laptop does sit on top of the center channel, and the speaker might be emitting more RF than it does making tire and bird noises.
Have you tried turning off Pandora to see if it makes a difference?

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:39 pm

martinknutson wrote:
The only thing I have been doing differently in January is that I started using Pandora on the MacBook
Among the changes could be an update for Zwift.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”