Tacx Genius / Ironman loudness Problem

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

Andikue

Tacx Genius / Ironman loudness Problem

Post by Andikue » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Hello,

my Tacx Genius Ironman T2060 Smart gets louder and louder the last few weeks, meanwhile he sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJ5hph1twI

When the bike trainer is cold, he has a normal running noise. After about 5 km it gets louder!

What can I do? Anyone an idea?

mcorn

Re: Tacx Genius / Ironman loudness Problem

Post by mcorn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:30 pm

There are many posts on various noises coming from this style of brake (Genius, Fortius, Imagic, Bushido, Vortex). You can do a search on the forum.

The primary candidate for cause is a loosening of the stainless steel sleeve that is on the outside of the urethane roller. The urethane shrinks and the sleeve starts to move around. Once this happens, it only gets worse. There are other reported causes as well, but yours sounded to me like the loose sleeve. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that in my experience the noise would decrease rather than increase as the unit warms up. Here's a link to a very long thread on an epoxy fix:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7691

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:48 pm

In addition to the above. I recommend once a year to disassemble the resistance unit and check the rotor:

Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Andikue

Post by Andikue » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:58 pm

i opened this resistance unit - one little crack with 1,5 cm - but this is not the cause of the noise.
No parts are broken out - i fixed it with superglue, but the crack is so small that i can't do a lot of glue inse the smallgap.

I'm sure that this is not the cause of the Noise!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:43 am

Andikue wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:58 pm
i opened this resistance unit - one little crack with 1,5 cm - but this is not the cause of the noise.
No parts are broken out - i fixed it with superglue, but the crack is so small that i can't do a lot of glue inse the smallgap.

I'm sure that this is not the cause of the Noise!
Look at the stainless sleeve for any looseness. There are a series of holes on each end of the sleeve. If those holes seem to be empty, it would mean that some of the urethane has popped off, which is common.

Andikue

Post by Andikue » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:03 am

i tried to fix all holes with a drop of glue (Pattex 100%). Done yesterday evening - so i can try my trainer today at afternoon

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Andikue wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:03 am
i tried to fix all holes with a drop of glue (Pattex 100%). Done yesterday evening - so i can try my trainer today at afternoon
It will likely take a lot more than this, but it is an easy thing to try. If you read the thread on the epoxy fix, you will see the various approaches. I have done it to two different brakes and it worked pretty well. It require drilling and using longer flathead screws set in place with epoxy.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”