NEO 2 and Balance L/R

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

RedArt79

NEO 2 and Balance L/R

Post by RedArt79 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:31 am

Hi

How can I see how the left and right leg work on NEO 2? which applications are compatible with this feature? in the version for phone / tablet, unfortunately, it does not show me the LR balance.

Will the PC version show?
is there any plans to add Balance to a cheerful phone / tablet?
is there any chance that Garmin will have such support?

thanks and best regards
Artur
Last edited by RedArt79 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ms6073

Re: NEO 2 and Balance L/P

Post by ms6073 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:18 am

RedArt79 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:31 am
Garmin already supports L/R balance metrics on the Edge 520/820/1030 cycling computers when you pair the Neo with the Garmin as an ANT+Powermeter, then configure one of the data screens to include L/R balance fields. That is not to say that Garmin supports the new features Tacx has implemented in the Neo 2, but my understanding is that at some point soon the Tacx Desktop App will include the new metrics. Given the hype over L/R balance, realistically aside from identifying possible fit issues, there is little in the way of practical training methods to correct what is typically the bodies natural asymmetry and only a very small subset of users, those with morphological or physical impediment, who will really find benefit from these metrics.
Last edited by ms6073 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz | GeForce GTX 870M
Samsung 32" LED TV

RedArt79

Re: NEO 2 and Balance L/R

Post by RedArt79 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Likewise, the garmin handles LR balance. Its pedals and the crank Stages LR because I have one and work without any problems. Unfortunately, but with NEO 2 it does not work ... as a power measurement so it's OK but the LP balance is missing.

Just like in Tacx ... I did not find any foot balance data anywhere.

Is it known when such an option will appear in Tacx programs?

For now, the "advertisement" of LR balance in NEO 2 is an exaggeration ... they sell something that has nothing to use .... :(

Any plans when? Program release date with LR support?

SalukiMBA

Post by SalukiMBA » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:55 pm

RedArt79 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 pm
Likewise, the garmin handles LR balance. Its pedals and the crank Stages LR because I have one and work without any problems. Unfortunately, but with NEO 2 it does not work ... as a power measurement so it's OK but the LP balance is missing.

Just like in Tacx ... I did not find any foot balance data anywhere.

Is it known when such an option will appear in Tacx programs?

For now, the "advertisement" of LR balance in NEO 2 is an exaggeration ... they sell something that has nothing to use .... :(

Any plans when? Program release date with LR support?
That is an incorrect statement. The L/R data is used in the Tacx App: it appeared when I used the FTP test in the APP.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:24 pm

SalukiMBA wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:55 pm
The L/R data is used in the Tacx App
What app? Tacx has a lot of them:
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/categ ... 9-Software
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

vitamin-t

Post by vitamin-t » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 pm

RedArt79 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:31 am
I have this same question as well - If the Neo 2 knows the L/R balance, why can't this info be sent via ANT+ to a compatible Garmin Edge?

Is this a planned feature for a future firmware, if so, is that an ETA for it?

Thanks,

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:03 pm

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:18 am
Given the hype over L/R balance, realistically aside from identifying possible fit issues, there is little in the way of practical training methods to correct what is typically the bodies natural asymmetry and only a very small subset of users, those with morphological or physical impediment, who will really find benefit from these metrics.
This worth re-reading. Chasing metrics that have little practical value seems to be a common affliction among athletes. Maybe we need a metric for pointless metric seeking.

vitamin-t

Post by vitamin-t » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 pm

mcorn wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:03 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:18 am
Given the hype over L/R balance, realistically aside from identifying possible fit issues, there is little in the way of practical training methods to correct what is typically the bodies natural asymmetry and only a very small subset of users, those with morphological or physical impediment, who will really find benefit from these metrics.
This worth re-reading. Chasing metrics that have little practical value seems to be a common affliction among athletes. Maybe we need a metric for pointless metric seeking.
If this is a useless metric, perhaps Tacx shouldn't have bothered manufacturing, advertising, and selling a product that measures it. But they did. I'm not asking if you think it has training value - I'm asking if this existing data will be available on other industry standard protocols.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:19 pm

vitamin-t wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 pm

If this is a useless metric, perhaps Tacx shouldn't have bothered manufacturing, advertising, and selling a product that measures it. But they did. I'm not asking if you think it has training value - I'm asking if this existing data will be available on other industry standard protocols.
I think like most companies, Tacx tries to provide what it believes some portion of the market wants, particularly if it can be done relatively easily. I can't tell how consistent the pedal smoothness standards are and how hardware dependent the metrics are. But I think the comment of ms6073 that I echoed is not an unreasonable one. Sometimes the tools that professional cyclists use do not have a lot of practical use for recreational cyclists. Everyone can evaluate their own situation.

EHB

Post by EHB » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:10 pm

I’ve read somewhere else a quote from a Tacx representative saying they were working on adding it to the standard power output. The quote didn’t have an ETA though. I only know Ant+ Profile, but there it is a relatively simple thing to add. Maybe it is the Bluetooth holding them up.

Saying that I have a crank based power meter with LE balance and I liked it at first, but never found any use for it. Don’t even look at it now.

I believe the Neo2 can give more detail about pedalling technique and that will also be added to standard protocols, but haven’t seen any evidence it is of any use, the weakness of evidence for oval chain rings worries me and it has been available of computrainers for many years: if it works why is there so little evidence it is any good?

I suspect if there is a benefit it will be limited to those with injuries. For instance, I once tore my left Achilles running into a cow foot hole: I bet my pedal stroke worsened after and if I’d had detailed analysis it might have helped guide recovery. I don’t have bad knees, but having experimented with oval chain rings I would guess they would be good for those people.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”