T2010 Genius - HELP PLEASE

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

Nig3lh

T2010 Genius - HELP PLEASE

Post by Nig3lh » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi

I’ve recently purchased a T2010 Genius. When I try to connect by Bluetooth it isn’t found. I’ve tried from iPhone, iPad and windows 10 laptop.
It came without the head unit, will it work without this or is that the reason it’s not discoverable?
I’m new to all this, please help.
Thanks

Alex Masalovich

Re: T2010 Genius - HELP PLEASE

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:08 pm

First check which item number is indicated on the label that is on the electro unit:

Nig3lh wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:53 pm
I’ve tried from iPhone, iPad and windows 10 laptop.
What applications are you trying to use?
Nig3lh wrote:
It came without the head unit, will it work without this or is that the reason it’s not discoverable?
Head unit is not required for communication. It is designed for easy operation, but only in the TTS4 through the ANT+ channel.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Nig3lh wrote:
I’ve recently purchased a T2010 Genius.
It came without the head unit.
Although it is strange. The head unit should be in this configuration (T2010):
http://ttsapi.tacx.com/en/products/trai ... ultiplayer

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:17 pm

My guess is it is a used unit without the head controller. The T2010 is a Smart device, so it should work. If it is not working with anything, there may be a defect.

You can open Bluetooth settings in Windows 10 to see if it is appears (assuming the laptop is equipped with Bluetooth). If it is not showing, that would be an indication it is defective.

Nig3lh

Post by Nig3lh » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi Guys

I have checked the sticker underneath and it says T2021 Genius

I have tried to connect via bluetooth from iPhone XS from Tacx utility, Tax Training and Zwift but cannot find the trainer
I have tried to connect via bluetooth from windows 10 laptop using the same three apps and had no joy either.
Looking on the laptop at available bluetooth devices the trainer does not show.

I'm guessing that the answer is either going to be that this model isn't bluetooth compatible or its faulty?

Thank you for your help

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Nig3lh wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:38 pm
Hi Guys

I have checked the sticker underneath and it says T2021 Genius

I have tried to connect via bluetooth from iPhone XS from Tacx utility, Tax Training and Zwift but cannot find the trainer
I have tried to connect via bluetooth from windows 10 laptop using the same three apps and had no joy either.
Looking on the laptop at available bluetooth devices the trainer does not show.

I'm guessing that the answer is either going to be that this model isn't bluetooth compatible or its faulty?

Thank you for your help
Looks like I gave you the wrong information. According to Tacx:

"The T2010 i-Genius multiplayer was a bundled version of the T2000 i-Genius, including the T2420 Blacktrack and a multiplayer license code. Both trainers are NOT smart trainers and not able to connect over Bluetooth or ANT+ FE-C, meaning it can only connect to TTS 3, TTS 4 and the Tacx Cycling app."

https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... and-models

So, your 2010 system is not a Smart unit and does not have Bluetooth (it works only with ANT+ but is not ANT+ FE-C compliant). The T2021 is the part number for the brake that goes with the T2010 trainer package. So, the only software you can use with it is as described above. Besides TTS4, It should work with the Tacx Cycling app on your mobile devices, but you need ANT+ for those devices. It will not work with TDA or any other Bluetooth application.

This trainer was released in 2012, so it is older technology. Not sure if you can upgrade the electronics in the brake, but it would be fairly expensive. If your brake has a bit of use on it, it might not be worth it.

Nig3lh

Post by Nig3lh » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Feeling very stupid right now having bought this because I thought it would connect via bluetooth to my MacBook or iPad.

When you say its not a "smart" trainer what exactly does that mean? Are you saying it won't work with Zwift even if I use a pc and an Ant+ dongle?

Thanks

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Nig3lh wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:32 pm
Feeling very stupid right now having bought this because I thought it would connect via bluetooth to my MacBook or iPad.

When you say its not a "smart" trainer what exactly does that mean? Are you saying it won't work with Zwift even if I use a pc and an Ant+ dongle?

Thanks
The Smart designation for bike trainers typically means it is both Bluetooth and ANT+FE-C wireless compatible. Most current products are Smart trainers. Back when the i-Genius was being sold, you were pretty much limited to the early non-FE-C ANT+ wireless and some USB. There was little or no Bluetooth and the FE-C ANT+ standard was very new. Since then, things have standardized on Smart wireless technology.

And no, this trainer will not work correctly with Zwift as Zwift requires FE-C ANT+ compatibility. If you go to the Zwift forum, you will see discussion of problems with this early i-Genius trainer. You can use the Tacx Cycling App and TTS4. TTS4 is available, but Tacx lists it as legacy software.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 pm

mcorn wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:24 pm

"The T2010 i-Genius multiplayer was a bundled version of the T2000 i-Genius, including the T2420 Blacktrack and a multiplayer license code. Both trainers are NOT smart trainers and not able to connect over Bluetooth or ANT+ FE-C, meaning it can only connect to TTS 3, TTS 4 and the Tacx Cycling app."

No no no. This is a gross error in the description on the support site. T2010 is a smart version. I gave the link:
Another one:
http://ttsapi.tacx.com/Media/Default/Do ... d%20LR.pdf

Another thing is that the user was deceived by the seller. This is not the first such case here on the forum.
T2021 is a unit for non-smart Genius. Is this a result of fraud or oversight during picking at the factory? The user should make a claim to the seller.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:32 pm

mcorn wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:40 pm
TTS4 is available, but Tacx lists it as legacy software.
Where can I see this list? It's probably classified!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:59 am

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 pm
mcorn wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:24 pm

No no no. This is a gross error in the description on the support site. T2010 is a smart version. I gave the link:
Another one:
http://ttsapi.tacx.com/Media/Default/Do ... d%20LR.pdf

Another thing is that the user was deceived by the seller. This is not the first such case here on the forum.
T2021 is a unit for non-smart Genius. Is this a result of fraud or oversight during picking at the factory? The user should make a claim to the seller.
I was quoting word for word from the Tacx website ("The T2010 i-Genius [is] NOT [a] smart trainer") and so were you, so that creates a fair amount of confusion. Those certainly can look like inconsistent statements to me. Nonetheless, I have an older 2013 parts list for the T2020 and it lists the T2021 as the brake unit for the older iGenius (non-Smart). So, I think if he has a T2021 brake, he does not have a Smart brake. Here is a parts list showing the T2021 is not part of a Smart system:

https://tacx.com/wp-content/themes/tacx ... s_1410.pdf

In addition, I believe all of the Tacx Smart devices have the word "Smart" on them with the Bluetooth/ANT+ logos. So, if he does not have that, it is not a Smart device.

It may also be there are two different T2010 systems - a non-Smart iGenius (which is what I quoted from the Tacx website) and a Smart Genius (which you quoted from the Tacx website). But I still believe that if it has the T2012 brake, it is not the Smart one.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:09 am

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:32 pm
mcorn wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:40 pm
TTS4 is available, but Tacx lists it as legacy software.
Where can I see this list? It's probably classified!
I think they have taken that down. It was in the description of TTS4. My guess is they discovered it made a lot of folks nervous. They may also be rethinking it a bit.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:10 am

mcorn wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:59 am
the T2021 as the brake unit for the older iGenius (non-Smart)
That's right, nobody argues about it.
mcorn wrote:
In addition, I believe all of the Tacx Smart devices have the word "Smart" on them with the Bluetooth/ANT+ logos.
Alas, this logo is not a criterion, as it is located on the bearing block.
mcorn wrote:
It may also be there are two different T2010 systems - a non-Smart iGenius (which is what I quoted from the Tacx website) and a Smart Genius (which you quoted from the Tacx website).
This is absolutely excluded. There must be different nomenclature numbers.

The essence of my statements: the seller sold a non-smart model under the guise of a smart model, that is, the buyer is deceived.
I assume that when smart models began to appear on the market, some dishonest sellers replaced the electro units (right-hand parts) to sell all models as smart models.
mcorn wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:09 am
It was in the description of TTS4.
I did not find it, even in a time machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/tacx.com

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:10 am
mcorn wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:09 am
It was in the description of TTS4.
I did not find it, even in a time machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/tacx.com
Don't know what to say. The Way Back Machine often has many gaps. Phil Stone first brought this to my attention last April and I saw it for myself.

As I said before, my guess is Tacx decided this was not such a good thing to say, and perhaps it has changed its thinking on this subject.

There is a brief reference to "TTS4 Legacy Software" here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TacxRealLifeVideo/about/

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:52 pm

mcorn wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:07 pm
Phil Stone first brought this to my attention last April and I saw it for myself.
There is a brief reference to "TTS4 Legacy Software" here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TacxRealLifeVideo/about/
Thank you for helping with this small investigation.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Thank you for helping with this small investigation.
I could not find it on the Way Back Machine either, but I know for certain it used to be on the Tacx website. Tacx changes its website a lot, so it is difficult to keep track of things. As I said, I think Tacx has likely re-thought designating TTS4 as legacy, which is a pretty negative message. While they may not add new features to TTS4, perhaps they will keep it maintained and functional for awhile longer than they intended when they first released TDA.

wasupwitdat1

Post by wasupwitdat1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:45 am

I keep checking back in the forums from time to time to see if I can learn anything new. The comment about Tacx keeping TTS4 around a bit longer is good news IMO. They've sold a lot of trainers that aren't FE-C and I imagine those trainers are still alive and well based on the good luck I've had with my previous Tacx trainers I bought. I would also be happy to see that people who have those setups can still get good quality videos even 4K ones from someone like Veloreality. I'm not happy that most VR and Real Life Video programs have gone to subscription only now. Zwift is not the do all be all to training and not everybody wants to be in a public eye when they train. I've done the math and any subscription service turns out being a pretty large chunk of money after a few years. I remember the complaining about the cost of TTS4 years ago but now looking back it was a good investment and mine still works perfectly every time I go to use it. I hope Tacx does keep it around.
NEO W2017
TTS4 4.22.7.0
Sony 49X900E 4K TV
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
Intel i7 3770 @ 3.9 GHz
16Gb Ram @ 1600 MHz
Nvidia GTX 980 4095 GDDR5 Mem
Samsung 840 Pro 256G Hard Drive
Corsair 860 PSU
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
No Internet Connection

Nig3lh

Post by Nig3lh » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks so much for all the input guys.

Is the T2022 a smart trainer?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Nig3lh wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:58 pm
Thanks so much for all the input guys.

Is the T2022 a smart trainer?
The T2022 is a ANT wireless handlebar interface for a Genius T2020 system, so it is not a trainer.

Nig3lh

Post by Nig3lh » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Thank you

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”