Vortex has no resistance

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

serge_malo

Vortex has no resistance

Post by serge_malo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:20 am

Hi all,
I bought a Vortex Smart 2 years ago. It worked fine for the 2 last winters.
I wanted to start training indoors after not using it for the last 6 months. But it won't give a varying resistance in function of slope in both Tacx training app on Android, or Zwift on OSX. Resistance is always constant.
Speed, cadence and power are correctly reported to the apps.
The mechanical part seems to be well connected to the electronic part of the Vortex.

I did a firmware update.
I did many calibrations.
Disconnect/Reconnect the Vortex.
Nothing seems to fix the issue.

Could the brake be broken?
Anything else I can try?

Alex Masalovich

Re: Vortex has no resistance

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:02 am

serge_malo wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:20 am
The mechanical part seems to be well connected to the electronic part of the Vortex.
A solution also would be to remove the side electronic part and reconnect it.
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 189-Vortex
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 pm

If that does not work, contact support@tacx.com. You may have a problem with your electronic control unit. I believe there is a 2 year warranty, so be sure you have proof of purchase.

serge_malo

Post by serge_malo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:28 am

Thanks for the info. I just passed the 2 year limit, so my warranty is expired. :-(
Still, I have contacted them, I'll see if they can suggest something to fix my issue.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:00 am

serge_malo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:28 am
Thanks for the info. I just passed the 2 year limit, so my warranty is expired. :-(
Still, I have contacted them, I'll see if they can suggest something to fix my issue.
You might tell them it had not been used for 6 months so you think the failure is within the warranty period.

Mark C

Post by Mark C » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Reading the various Posts I appear to have the same problem as serge_malo. My Tacx Vortex Smart T2180 (49702) has the software update 3.1.22/04.3.
Last season The trainer worked very well with ZWIFT but following the summer layoff I have set up once more in the same way as it was left (in March) and get very sporadic interface with Zwift. (I have questioned the Zwiftforum to see if it could be their updates causing the problem. no answer yet.)

My set up uses the bluetooth link to communicate with my IPad2 and Zwift indicates that the trainer is fully connected for Power/Cadence/Speed. I also connect via Ant+ to my Garmin 800 to give me additional readouts and info. After checking for updates on the trainer (Tacx Utility App) and Zwift (reloaded) I set off on a test ride. The trainer initially indicated good interface with some small resistance changes felt and realistic power outputs. As I moved into the Watopia Hills I pressed on and increased the power output but the system seemed to reduce power output the harder I peddled.

I have now reloaded Zwift again and recalibrate the trainer on the Utility App. (Yes I have also switched it of and on again! :-) ) The next attempt was to undertake the short Zwift FTP test. This program accurately measures power produced in order to provide the FTP 1hr average. Again the trained provided some resistance initially with reasonable power measurement during warm up. As soon as the test started and I began pressing on over 200W the readings fell away to 50/55W and would not climb above 100 no matter how hard I pushed. (I have lost some fitness over the summer.....but not that much!)

I then disconnected from Swift and tried the FTP test on the tax cycling App. Same result, good initial readings (Cadence is rubbish but thats never been very good to be honest) but power falling away to indicate minimal or negligible power output. I'm beginning to regret my switch to the Smart trainer and wish I'd kept the older Tacx Flow.

Reference in the posts below to a 2 year warranty are inaccurate in my case the Tacx warranty is clearly 12 months from purchase. Naturally my trainer is now 18 months old. Isn't it strange how problems occur with equipment/tech 'just' after warranty expires.

Any tips or solutions appreciated before I throw it out and fit the Ice Spiker Pros to the mountain bike, man up and get outside :-)
Mark

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Mark C wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:58 pm
My Tacx Vortex Smart T2180 (49702) has the software update 3.1.22/04.3.
Last season The trainer worked very well with ZWIFT
When did you update the firmware? Last season or just now?

Mark C

Post by Mark C » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Updated April, but on the Tacx Utility when I check for updates now it tells me my trainer is up to date?

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:26 pm

That is, with this new firmware you did not have a successful experience? Try rolling back the firmware:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=34546&p=205225#p205220

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”