Vortex smart

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

GUYBP

Vortex smart

Post by GUYBP » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Just bought a Vortex Smart. Have a few questions which hopefully others can answer

1) I have a 700 x 23 continental four seasons tyre - i think i have on setting 3 but had to wind the knob a lot to get the tyre in contact -
2) Should I be using setting 2 - what is easiest way to do this as I just seem to have accidentally set it up on setting 3.
3) Is a tacx trainer tyre worth buying as it slips less - is this true?
4) When I ride on flat - power seems right and speed but it seems to think I have a cadence of about 120rpm YET see below
5) When slope goes up to about 2%, rpm goes right down to about 40 and speed/power go right down (about 60 watts and 7mph) even though I ma working harder than on flat when it thinks I have 160 watts and about 25-30 mph.

I currently have just TACX app - I have lots of old TACV RLV's (on magic) and TTS software - can I use these and how do i hook up trainer to these - laptop

My mac has bluetooth but doesn't seem to like the TACX download for macs - is it possible to put tacx software on mac and then bluetooth to the train?

Apologies for so many questions...

mcorn

Re: Vortex smart

Post by mcorn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:00 pm

The middle setting should be the correct one for your road tire. I have used both trainer and road tires. If you are putting in a lot of time on the trainer, a trainer tire is probably better - more so for heat dissipation than slippage. I am currently using a Vittoria trainer tire and have also used a Continental trainer tire in the past.

To minimize slippage, be sure the tire and brake roller are clean. I generally inflate my trainer tires to quite a high level (125 to 140 psi). You should also confirm that your wheel has good radial trueness. A tire that is not radially true will not maintain constant pressure on the brake roller.

GUYBP

Post by GUYBP » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 am

Many thanks.

Ill give that a go - any ideas on the assembly to be sure it is on setting 2 and should I accept calibration setting as it reads green now even though it si clearly not working when climbing

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am

GUYBP wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:30 pm
4) When I ride on flat - power seems right and speed but it seems to think I have a cadence of about 120rpm YET see below
5) When slope goes up to about 2%, rpm goes right down to about 40 and speed/power go right down (about 60 watts and 7mph) even though I ma working harder than on flat when it thinks I have 160 watts and about 25-30 mph.
Check the firmware update:
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... re-updates
Perform the calibration:
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... easurement
GUYBP wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:30 pm
I currently have just TACX app - I have lots of old TACV RLV's (on magic) and TTS software - can I use these and how do i hook up trainer to these - laptop

My mac has bluetooth but doesn't seem to like the TACX download for macs - is it possible to put tacx software on mac and then bluetooth to the train?
To use TTS3 or TTS4, you need Windows and ANT+ antenna.
Mac and bluetooth allows you to use another program - TDA:
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/secti ... esktop-app
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:12 pm

GUYBP wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 am

Ill give that a go - any ideas on the assembly to be sure it is on setting 2 and should I accept calibration setting as it reads green now even though it si clearly not working when climbing
Getting this thing properly assembled can be a hassle. One thing I do that helps is to first assemble it without the bike and put three pencil marks ("witness marks") on both sides of the brake indicating where the two plastic pieces come together. It is easy to get it misaligned and not properly joining. The pencil marks confirm from the outside it is joined correctly in the middle (2) position. I hope this is clear. It is easier to do than to describe.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”