Tacx T2086.12 upgrade for Genius trainer

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

armitageshanks

Tacx T2086.12 upgrade for Genius trainer

Post by armitageshanks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:47 pm

I recently bought a Tacx Genius from a local classifieds website. I had researched the wrong version of the trainer (Genius Smart instead of Genius).

The unit I have purchased has the old ANT+ technology, which works with Tacx Trainer 4 software (which I cannot use, due to having a MacBook and not Windows!). I can use a speed and cadence sensor to connect to zwift and bkool however the reason I purchased the unit was for the auto resistance offered by the Genius Smart.

I understand Tacx offered a hardware upgrade (Tacx T2086.12) to make the unit 'smart' for 180EUR however this was a couple of years ago. A few web searches has resulted in being able to locate a unit, but at extortionate prices (around £400-500) or it not being available anymore. My question is does anyone know where I can locate one of these units at a reasonable price, or have one to sell second hand?

Thanks in advance.

Alex Masalovich

Re: Tacx T2086.12 upgrade for Genius trainer

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Here sometimes this part goes on sale at a reasonable price:
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bike- ... rrency=EUR
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

armitageshanks

Post by armitageshanks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it is showing as out of stock at the shop you've linked.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Now in stock.

jfweiser

Post by jfweiser » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:18 am

I’ve found the T2086.12 to replace my T2000 and just want be sure it is compatible with my existing tts software and RLV. Also want to confirm that it will be compatible with Zwift and other 3rd party training apps as long as I also get the Ant + antenna. Can I use the existing handlebar mount that came with the original multiplayer setup?

Tks

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:44 pm

jfweiser wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:18 am
I’ve found the T2086.12 to replace my T2000 and just want be sure it is compatible with my existing tts software and RLV. Also want to confirm that it will be compatible with Zwift and other 3rd party training apps as long as I also get the Ant + antenna. Can I use the existing handlebar mount that came with the original multiplayer setup?
The T2086.12 enhances your capabilities without canceling existing ones.
The ANT+ antenna (T2028 or T2018), which is included in the package T2000, can be used with any other software that works on the ANT+ channel.
The Genius interface (T2022) can only be used with TTS4 (TTS3).

jfweiser

Post by jfweiser » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks - sounds like I’d be better off just getting the 2080 Smart full connect that includes everything since the price isn’t much higher. Is the Genius interface compatible with the ‘old’ films. I’ve got a bunch and would like to continue using them. Also says this is compatible with other apps. Does that include Zwift? Appreciate all the help. Love my trainer and just want to be sure I can continue to enjoy all that the software offers.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:15 pm

jfweiser wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 pm
Thanks - sounds like I’d be better off just getting the 2080 Smart full connect that includes everything since the price isn’t much higher. Is the Genius interface compatible with the ‘old’ films. I’ve got a bunch and would like to continue using them. Also says this is compatible with other apps. Does that include Zwift? Appreciate all the help. Love my trainer and just want to be sure I can continue to enjoy all that the software offers.
There is probably something to be said for getting a completely new unit if the price difference is not very much. The roller part of the brake unit usually wears out much sooner than the electronics, so if you had to replace the mechanical part of the brake, it would be fairly expensive.

You can still use your old round blue handlebar controller and your ANT+ antenna with the 2080 brake if you are using your old films with TTS. However, those films are not usable with the newer TDA software, which also does not use the handlebar controller or ANT+ controller as it is all Bluetooth. TDA films are in a completely different format than your old films and has completely different licensing.

For TDA, you must have Bluetooth capability on your PC, but a USB plugin Bluetooth transmitter is very inexpensive.

Because the Genius 2080 is a "Smart" device and has both Bluetooth and ANT+ communication capability, it offers maximum flexibility for use with all types of software, such as Zwift and others like Velo Reality Software.

Note that TTS is now considered a "legacy" product by Tacx, which generally means it will have minimal updates and certainly no new features. TDA is the wave of the future for Tacx.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”