Vortex & Bluetooth

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

FrancoisK

Vortex & Bluetooth

Post by FrancoisK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:30 am

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and hope to find some advice here before I return my recently purchased Vortex.
I received it last week and spent the weekend setting all up.

On Sunday when I wanted to update the firmware which I believe is required to use Zwift via bluetooth (BT) or ANT+ I could not get the trainer to connect to a number of different devices via BT.
I tried 2 different iPhones, an iPad, a Macbook Air and even a Samsung Android phone.
Not one of these could even "see" the trainer.
The trainer was on... And the light was flashing green.

I can go and invest in an ANT+ dongle for the Macbook, but as far as I know you need the latest firmware for that to be used! Now how do I update the firmware without a BT connection!
This is very frustrating and based on some searches on the net it is a common issue with no resolution!?
Please help!!!

Alex Masalovich

Re: Vortex & Bluetooth

Post by Alex Masalovich » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:35 am

It's possible that your Vortex is not a smart Vortex. What is the nomenclatural Т-number on the electro unit?
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

FrancoisK

Post by FrancoisK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi Alex,

It was sold as T2180 if I recall correctly.
The unit has a Bluetooth & ANT+ sticker on it.

Thanks,

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Sounds like two possibilities. The first, and most likely, is you are not configuring and using BT correctly in your devices. Be sure to confirm that that BT is working correctly in your computers and mobile devices and that you have read the instructions for the Tacx software describing how to connect to your brake. The second, and less likely, is the brake is defective.

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm

FrancoisK wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:30 am
On Sunday when I wanted to update the firmware which I believe is required to use Zwift via bluetooth (BT) or ANT+ I could not get the trainer to connect to a number of different devices via BT.
While not obvious and since none has mentioned this, Bluetooth is a single connection communications protocol. What that means is your Vortex can only maintain a single connection between apps, so even if the apps are on the same device, before you can connect to the Tacx Utility app, you will first need to disconnect the Vortex from the last app with which it was successfully connected via Bluetooth.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

FrancoisK

Post by FrancoisK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:57 pm

mcorn wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 pm
Sounds like two possibilities. The first, and most likely, is you are not configuring and using BT correctly in your devices. Be sure to confirm that that BT is working correctly in your computers and mobile devices and that you have read the instructions for the Tacx software describing how to connect to your brake. The second, and less likely, is the brake is defective.
Thank you for your response.
My devices are picking up other BT devices in the vicinity but not the trainer.
I’ve also opened the Tacx app and started cycling with the hope of waking up the trainer, with no success.
I purchased an ANT+ dongle today, Zwift picks up my heart rate monitor but again not the trainer, but I think you need the firmware update for ANT+ to work with Zwift! But I cannot update the firmware without Bluetooth!

FrancoisK

Post by FrancoisK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:00 pm

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm
FrancoisK wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:30 am
While not obvious and since none has mentioned this, Bluetooth is a single connection communications protocol. What that means is your Vortex can only maintain a single connection between apps, so even if the apps are on the same device, before you can connect to the Tacx Utility app, you will first need to disconnect the Vortex from the last app with which it was successfully connected via Bluetooth.
Thank you for your response.
The trainer came brand new out of the box, so don’t know how it can be connected to anything. I’ve moved the trainer to a new location to try and disconnect it, but no success.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Disconnect only means unplugging it for a few seconds and then replugging it in. You don't have to move it. You need to be sure you understand how the software works and what is required to make a connection. Also, you have to be sure your computer and mobile devices have at Bluetooth 4.2. Older versions of Bluetooth will not work.

Are you familiar with Bluetooth? Have you used it before? Are you sure that it is turned on?

FrancoisK

Post by FrancoisK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:55 pm

mcorn wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 pm
Disconnect only means unplugging it for a few seconds and then replugging it in. You don't have to move it. You need to be sure you understand how the software works and what is required to make a connection. Also, you have to be sure your computer and mobile devices have at Bluetooth 4.2. Older versions of Bluetooth will not work.

Are you familiar with Bluetooth? Have you used it before? Are you sure that it is turned on?
Yes, yes and yes.
As mentioned my devices are “seeing” other available BT devices, but not the vortex.
I have followed the instructions from the website and watched YouTube videos, it should be a very easy process.
This thing is not working and is going back, I will support a competitor.
Tacx support has been useless.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:26 pm

FrancoisK wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 pm
It was sold as T2180 if I recall correctly.
The unit has a Bluetooth & ANT+ sticker on it.
Strictly speaking, it does not matter that it was sold as T2180. It is important, what number on the electro unit. There have been cases when sellers cheated their customers by replacing the electro unit. Electro unit is the right part, on which there is no Bluetooth & ANT+ sticker.
viewtopic.php?t=31345
viewtopic.php?t=33292
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

FrancoisK

Post by FrancoisK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:44 am

Seems as though it is a T2171 and not a T2180 as adverised and sold!
Sticker on unit says T2171, and serial number on box T2180.

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:27 pm

As I replied in another thread, if you cannot connect via Bluetooth, then the trainer is not working as intended and needs to be returned and replaced by the seller ASAP.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 pm

FrancoisK wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:44 am
Seems as though it is a T2171 and not a T2180 as adverised and sold!
Sticker on unit says T2171, and serial number on box T2180.
Looks like you have been cheated. The advice from Alex is always good.

FrancoisK

Post by FrancoisK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks, device has been sent back to Wiggle.
They need to "inspect" before replacing or refunding.
It appears as though this packing the wrong item in the wrong box has happened before at Tacx.
They have not been of much assistance, offered me 30 days free videos to use with a trainer I do not have or does not work.
Wahoo looking far rosier at the moment...

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 pm

FrancoisK wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:24 pm

[Tacx] have not been of much assistance, offered me 30 days free videos to use with a trainer I do not have or does not work.
Bad news. What are they thinking? They should have offered to send you the correct electro-unit, which is easy to install.

FrancoisK

Post by FrancoisK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:41 am

Just said it is up to Wiggle to resolve...
Yep, does not do much for the Tacx brand in my opinion, quite disillusioned with the brand actually.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”