T2085 Genius upgrade available?

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

rouleur

T2085 Genius upgrade available?

Post by rouleur » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a T2085 Genius upgrade to replace the motor brake on my Genius an allow me to have ANT+ FE-C and BLE support.

This part https://tacx.com/product/i-genius-upgrade/

Unfortunately Tacx no longer stock it and won't be producing any more as it is an end of life product.

Just posting here to find out if anyone has one they would like to sell or knows of an online bike store selling one? Seems a shame to have to replace my Genius when it still works fine, albeit without the ability to connect to new online training apps like Swift.

Thanks for any help!

Alex Masalovich

Re: T2085 Genius upgrade available?

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:31 pm

rouleur wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 pm
and won't be producing any more as it is an end of life product
Where is this indicated? This would mean that the company Tacx has ceased to produce spare parts for Genius Smart.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:39 pm

rouleur wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 pm
Hi,

I am looking for a T2085 Genius upgrade to replace the motor brake on my Genius an allow me to have ANT+ FE-C and BLE support.

This part https://tacx.com/product/i-genius-upgrade/

Unfortunately Tacx no longer stock it and won't be producing any more as it is an end of life product.

Just posting here to find out if anyone has one they would like to sell or knows of an online bike store selling one? Seems a shame to have to replace my Genius when it still works fine, albeit without the ability to connect to new online training apps like Swift.

Thanks for any help!
It wasn't that long ago that Tacx was offering a discount on the upgrade. I see this unit is hard to find anywhere, but there are still complete i-Genius systems for sale. Are you sure Tacx will no longer produce it? It would be unfortunate that they would leave all Genius users out in the cold. It may be high demand and no recent production run issue.

rouleur

Post by rouleur » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:43 pm

I had this reply from Tacx...
We regret to inform you that the T2085 is no longer in stock and will no longer be delivered in the future.
The electronics that have to be delivered for this purpose are no longer available and are only used for service purposes to support the product.
Which is a bit annoying for me having spent £1k on a Genius 5 years ago but now having no upgrade path to ANT+ FE-C and BLE, despite Tacx still having the parts for other customers. :(

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:14 pm

rouleur wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:43 pm
I had this reply from Tacx...

"We regret to inform you that the T2085 is no longer in stock and will no longer be delivered in the future.
The electronics that have to be delivered for this purpose are no longer available and are only used for service purposes to support the product."

Which is a bit annoying for me having spent £1k on a Genius 5 years ago but now having no upgrade path to ANT+ FE-C and BLE, despite Tacx still having the parts for other customers. :(
Not good news and not exactly a "smart" move by Tacx.

rouleur

Post by rouleur » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:35 pm

I understand that they have to end of life products eventually but it is a bit frustrating as I know the parts are actually still available in inventory at Tacx. Surely if a product fails at some point in the future they can upgrade the customer to a new version of the product at the same price point.

Probably going to be faced with buying a Flux or Neo now, would have been nice to have been even offered a discount on one of those as I have been a lifelong Tacx user having owned the Fortius and another Tacx mag trainer prior to the Genius. :?

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:30 pm

Try to search in Google T2086.12, instead of T2085. I suspect that the company Tacx decided to abandon the wide promotion of the T2085 for commercial reasons. The main goal of a commercial company is to make profit. It is more profitable to sell the whole Genius Smart than an electro unit to it separately.

rouleur

Post by rouleur » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:33 pm

I emailed Tacx support again to ask about obtaining the T2086.12 and disappointingly received the following reply
True, this was possible before. But the relevant parts are no longer available separately.
So in short, it looks like the Genius is a dead product as far as Tacx are concerned. A bit disappointing seeing as Tacx are still actively selling it on their website.

Was going to buy a Neo but think I might go with a Wahoo Kickr instead now given this level of customer support :(

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:13 pm

rouleur wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:33 pm
I emailed Tacx support again to ask about obtaining the T2086.12
Why do you want to buy this unit only from Tacx itself? There are other sellers.
rouleur wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:33 pm
So in short, it looks like the Genius is a dead product as far as Tacx are concerned.
Let's also name Neo a dead product, since spare parts to it are also not available.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:06 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:13 pm
Why do you want to buy this unit only from Tacx itself? There are other sellers.
I also have a non-Smart Genius and was thinking about trying to convert it to a Smart unit and I found very few electro-packs available. In some cases the price was so high, it would make more sense to buy a new trainer.

What Tacx is really saying is it does not want to pay for another production run. It is really unfortunate they do not sell update boards that could be installed in the unit. I think there is both a power supply board and a control/sensor board. Not sure you even need both to do the conversion. The fully populated board probably does not cost all that much. They probably have a supply of bare boards already.

The practical issue for the user is how much life likely remains in the motor unit given how fast these tend to wear out. My older Genius is already somewhat noisy (has not had an epoxy fix), so it is not worth a large re-investment in a Smart conversion.

rouleur

Post by rouleur » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks for your help anyway mcorn and Alex, both of you have proved much more informative and helpful than the dismissive and unhelpful attitude of Tacx support.

mcorn, I agree that it is perhaps better for me to purchase a new trainer as other parts of the Genius may well be worn out as well. I was keen to update my existing Genius though as I didn't want to discard an otherwise functioning trainer which had cost me around 1000 euros on initial purchase.

Thanks again and Happy New Year

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Best of luck and keep in touch.

lieuwe

Post by lieuwe » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Dear Rouleur / all

I happened to have the exact same question / situation for my i-genius T2000, which i bought in 2014
... but.... based on these replies ..

I found a shop selling the Tacx Genius Electro Brake Unit T2086.12
priced at : €279,99

So I think I am going to upgrade instead of bying a new 1 .

Thanks all for your inputs, :) :D
Just lemme know in case you're interested Rouleur.

Regards,
Lieuwe Bakker, Netherlands

rouleur

Post by rouleur » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 am

Hi Lieuwe,

Please can you tell me where you bought the T2086.12 unit from? I am very interested!

Have you bought the unit and done the upgrade yet?

Thanks,

Allen

schneideris

Post by schneideris » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 pm

I just found this posting with great disappointment. A friend and I had planned to doing this upgrade as it made financial sense. With the prices that I am seeing now it makes no sense anymore and forces me to look at other options than Tacx.

As a note to Tacx, an ability to have an upgrade path for your investment would be such a huge selling feature. It would be a means of retaining customers without having to justify your platform over and over again. It would be environmentally more responsible as well since the parts that do not wear out would continue to be used.

Unfortunately, I am now moving away from Tacx and likely my friend will as well. It makes no business sense to stay with Tacx.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:17 pm

schneideris wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 pm
I just found this posting with great disappointment. A friend and I had planned to doing this upgrade as it made financial sense. With the prices that I am seeing now it makes no sense anymore and forces me to look at other options than Tacx.

As a note to Tacx, an ability to have an upgrade path for your investment would be such a huge selling feature. It would be a means of retaining customers without having to justify your platform over and over again. It would be environmentally more responsible as well since the parts that do not wear out would continue to be used.

Unfortunately, I am now moving away from Tacx and likely my friend will as well. It makes no business sense to stay with Tacx.
Tacx may or may not receive your message as this is mostly a user forum. So, if you want them to hear, send an email to support@tacx.com

atomcat1978

Post by atomcat1978 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi,

I got in contact with tacx support. An upgrade option is still available:
Nov 6, 10:42 CET

Thank you for your question.

It is still possible to purchase the electronics of the smart Genius to upgrade the I-Genius:
https://tacx.com/spare-parts/genius-smart/

Spare part number:
S2080.11

Kind Regards

Tacx Support

audunth

Post by audunth » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Cheers,
Audun

Genius Multiplayer 2012 220V (1.1.325)
TTS 4.10.0.0
Windows 7 Ult. 64 bit US English
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 motherboard
Core i5 2500K, 8 GB RAM
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector @ 1920x1080

atomcat1978

Post by atomcat1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Same price as from the official resource. Mine has arrived, upgrade done:)

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”