Gearing problems

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

mcorn

Re: Gearing problems

Post by mcorn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Yes it is the body but he obviously has some kind of cassette that he got somewhere, hence the need to be sure it is a 10 speed cassette to match his shifters. Assuming he has the correct cassette, it would like be a matter of having spacers that would allow the cassette on the Neo to match the orientation of his current wheel so he can avoid having to readjust the derailleur or shifters each time he changes over.

Unhookt

Post by Unhookt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks everyone - these past several posts have been a huge help as I see now that I have misinterpreted the attributes of the cassette body to apply to the cassette itself. I will need to change the cassette that came installed on the trainer to match the # of speeds (10) on the wheel cassette if I don't want to have to futz around with the derailleur.

Does the replacement cassette have to be an exact match to the existing wheel cassette, or will any 10 speed Shimano do?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:29 am

Unhookt wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:37 pm
Thanks everyone - these past several posts have been a huge help as I see now that I have misinterpreted the attributes of the cassette body to apply to the cassette itself. I will need to change the cassette that came installed on the trainer to match the # of speeds (10) on the wheel cassette if I don't want to have to futz around with the derailleur.

Does the replacement cassette have to be an exact match to the existing wheel cassette, or will any 10 speed Shimano do?
You need a 10 speed cassette that is compatible with your C-7900 10-speed Dura Ace. As far I know, all of the Shimano 10-speed cassettes and certain other brands like SRAM should be compatible, so you don't have to buy an expensive Dura Ace. There is no reason you need the lighter weight of a Dura Ace cassette on the trainer.

And if you would prefer different gearing on the trainer, you can do that as well. You just have to be sure that your derailleur will handle different gearing. The biggest issue could be trying to use mountain type gearing which the derailleur might not be able to handle.

Unhookt

Post by Unhookt » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:44 am

Thanks so much for the comprehensive response. Super super helpful everybody!

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:46 am

If you have a rear derailleur RD-7900,
then the specification for it is:
Type: SS
Total capacity: 33 teeth or less
Largest sprocket: 28 T
Smallest sprocket: 11 T
Front chainwheel tooth difference: 16 teeth or less

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-5X00A-003-ENG.PDF
I would recommend you Shimano cassette 105 CS-5700 11-28T. But here the length of the chain on your bike is also important, strictly speaking.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:46 am

I would recommend you Shimano cassette 105 CS-5700 11-28T. But here the length of the chain on your bike is also important, strictly speaking.
That's a good economic choice. You can also get something like an 10 speed SRAM PG 1030 11-28 which is comparable in price and quality.

Mountain Fun

Post by Mountain Fun » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm having nightmare also and cannot understand why it won't run smoothly :cry: :cry:

I have put a shimano 10 speed 11/25 new cassette on my Tacx Flux and a brand new chain and cassette 11/28 on my bike. I cannot get the chain to run properly, I have put a 1mm spacer and from what the instructions have said I have also put a 2mm spacer as well so in total I have 3mm, I have tried to without the 1mm etc to no avail. I have also adjusted the barrel to adjust the gears and still they jump.....I want to throw the Tacx out of the window.

If anyone has any ideas I am listening....many thanks

frankhertz

Post by frankhertz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello,
Does the jumping only occur on the tacx or also with your road bike wheel when you ride outside? If both and you have tried everything else check your cable housing. I had an issue with the chain jumping and it was because the cable housing was so worn at the derailleur end that the cable housing would move relative to the derailleur. If the problem is only on the tacx, check to see if the lockring stays tight. I has an issue with it becoming loose causing the chain to skip.
Good luck solving the problem.
Harry

Unhookt

Post by Unhookt » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:46 pm

FWIW, buying a matching cassette did not fix the problem on my Tacx. It's now usable, but runs the risk of jumping the chain onto the frame if I select either of the two smallest rear rings/gears. I have tested and confirmed that gears shift swiftly, smoothly and without incident when riding outside with the rear wheel installed.

My Tacx also appears to be improprly calibrated, because riding on flat "virtual" ground (such as in Zwift) I am entirely unable to effectively use the large front chain ring because of the amount of effort required. Flat ground feels like a 20% incline! The Tacx configuration app sees and connects to my unit, but I don't see any options for changing settings.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:42 pm

I don't have a Neo, but in general the Neo itself should not affect shifting once the derailleur is properly adjusted to the cassette. Many shifting issues occur when someone has a mismatch between the shifters and the cassette (e.g., trying to use 9-speed shifters with a 10-speed cassette). Putting your bike on a Neo is like putting a different rear wheel on your bike, which often results in shifting problems until the derailleur is properly adjusted for the end points and chain alignment. Even though you can use 1mm spacers to attempt to make the cassette alignment on the Neo match the cassette alignment on the existing wheel, it may not be perfect and may require further derailleur adjustment.

The other two potential issues that can causing skipping are using an older worn chain with a new cassette and misalignment by not having the bike frame dropouts squarely installed into the Neo.

cycling2011

Post by cycling2011 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:58 am

.I bought a 2011 Specialized Allez to go on my new Neo.The gears were not changing smoothly.
I took this to my LBS and he could also not get the gears working correctly,although the gears on this bike worked
when not on the Neo.He then put a Giant Contend 2017 bike on the Neo and the gears worked smooth and quietly.
I bought this Giant Contend 2017 bike and 2 years later it is still working smooth and quietly changing gears.
The older 2011 bike would not work correctly changing gears :?
Last edited by cycling2011 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
i7-8700k,6 Cores,3.7GHZ,4.7GHz Turbo.
Asus Strix Z390-F Mother Board.
16GB Ram 3000 MHz.
MSI Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB.
250 GB SSD.
4TB,2TB,2TB WD HDs Storage.
Neo 2
TDA Beta.TTA Beta.

Unhookt

Post by Unhookt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:48 am

I'm sorry to hear this and hope it isn't so. For the Tacx reps on this board, I'd like to share that I am connecting a 2006 Litespeed Firenze with 2015 DuraAce, 50/34T FSA compact up front, SHIMANO CS-6700 Ultegra Bicycle Cassette (10-Speed, 12/25T) in the rear. I've tried going the spacer route and it helped somewhat, but those bottom two gears are still problematic. More spacers?

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:24 am

Unhookt wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:48 am
For the Tacx reps on this board
They are not here. They left us long ago.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Mountain Fun

Post by Mountain Fun » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Dear all, Thanks for the responses...So I have played with the set up and I have finally got it running smoothly the solution for me as follows:

So I have a shimano 105 11/25 cassette ( new), I put the 2mm spacer only and the 12T lockring and it worked straight away....Thank god :o 8)

So Now I'm good to go and my Tacx T2900 which is only 2 months old has broken and has got to go back as Tacx say "it's not an easy fix"...seriously :( :shock:

So thanks for the responses they all helped me in the process.

psulatycke

Post by psulatycke » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:02 am

Solved

I recently had indexing issues on Neo 2 using Shimao 10 speed cassette. Tacx could not provide a solution, other than saying that I had to adjust my rear derailleur. As you can imagine I wasn't too fond of that solution.

In case anyone else has this issue, I solved it by adding an additional 1mm spacer. So 2 1mm spacers solved my problem. (Gears skipped when shifting into lower gears.)

I hope this helps someone so that they don't have to go through what I went through. (Sending in videos, multiple emails and no help from Tacx)

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:27 am

psulatycke wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:02 am
Solved

I recently had indexing issues on Neo 2 using Shimao 10 speed cassette. Tacx could not provide a solution, other than saying that I had to adjust my rear derailleur. As you can imagine I wasn't too fond of that solution.

In case anyone else has this issue, I solved it by adding an additional 1mm spacer. So 2 1mm spacers solved my problem. (Gears skipped when shifting into lower gears.)

I hope this helps someone so that they don't have to go through what I went through. (Sending in videos, multiple emails and no help from Tacx)
You just found another way to adjust your derailleur which has been suggested in other places here. I am surprised that users are insistent that the derailleur should require no adjustment when changing from their regular wheel to the trainer. In many cases, when you change the make of wheel on a bike, it is necessary to readjust the derailleur because different wheels are not perfectly interchangeable.

Glad you were able to solve your problem. But there may be cases where a 1mm or 2mm spacer will not work quite right either (for example if the change in tracking required to get proper shifting is 1.5mm.)

Zouf

Post by Zouf » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Expecting to drop a bike on a wheel-off trainer without any adjustments to the deraileur is putting the bar quite high. Apart from the really obvious cases of having the wrong shifter/cassette mix, to make the swap between your rear wheel and a trainer seamless (and this is true for any wheel-off trainer, Tacx or other), you need to ensure the distance between the axle face and the cassette is identical, within way less than a mm of difference. You do this by using spacers. Potentially you may need to add a spacer on your bike wheel, if the cassette ends up further inboard on it than on the trainer without any inboard spacer. If you have a caliper gauge, this is easy to measure and check. If you don't, well, good luck.

In any case, getting used to adjust deraileur limit screws and positioning is part of bike maintenance 101; even a brand-new, well-adjusted bike will need a rear deraileur adjust within a few weeks as the cables stretch and settle.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”