Punctures on inner tube seam

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

OldGreyDave

Punctures on inner tube seam

Post by OldGreyDave » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:24 pm

:cry: I’ve now had three punctures whilst using my trainer. I use a Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Home Trainer tyre (not used outside, clean and debris free) and have used two different Schwalbe SV15 inner tubes running at 110psi. The punctures are all small holes directly on the outside seam of the inner tube, but in different places around the wheel. The tyre and roller have never felt more than lukewarm to my touch, so I don’t think they are overheating. That said, the punctures are always on the outside seam closest to the roller, which after three punctures I don’t regard as a coincidence. The same brand of inner tubes have been fine for outside rides, only 3 punctures in 10 years.

Has anyone else had this experience? If so please let me know how you solved the problem. I’m thinking of trying some seamless inner tubes next, perhaps Continentals to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Dave

bazza42

Re: Punctures on inner tube seam

Post by bazza42 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Are you using talcum powder on the inner tyre casing? If not, it could be that your inner tube is sticking to the tyre casing and friction is causing tearing of the rubber inner tube.

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:52 pm

What make and model of wheel are you using, and what type of rim tape is applied to the rim?
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz | GeForce GTX 870M
Samsung 32" LED TV

OldGreyDave

Post by OldGreyDave » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:40 pm

On the talcum powder front I usually only use it around the punctured area, and I've had no problems outside but that's not to say stickiness isn't a problem inside. I can try putting it all around after the next puncture.

The rims are Mavic CXP 22 and I've no idea what the tape is but it seems to be in good repair. The punctures are on the far side to the tape just where the tyre touches the roller, so the tape wasn't amongst my list of suspects. I'll inspect it more thoroughly after next puncture.

William Marshall

Post by William Marshall » Thu May 05, 2016 4:50 pm

I was plagued by punctures for a while on my old turbo and, after a forensic inspection of tape, tube etc the shop suggested a few things, one of which worked (I don't know which but I think the third). Tears were very similar in place and type as yours.

- clean the contacts point in the roller
- clean the tyre
- inflate the tyre to the point that its 'hard' and doesn't squash overly when used and then check psi. Use that psi in future. I used to run 110 and ended up at 90 and never had a puncture again (using Tacx trainer tyre). And yes, I know about psi recommendations by turbo manufacturers but if you try it and it works at least you can make an informed decision.

OldGreyDave

Post by OldGreyDave » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:34 pm

The 2016 indoor season started a week or so ago for me, and after 40km yet another puncture on the outside seam. I've fully talcum powdered the tube post repair, so we'll see if that makes a difference. I tried lowering the tyre pressure but at 105 psi it starts slipping. If I increase roller pressure the TACX will not calibrate, so I've stayed at 110 psi. Let's see how long this repair lasts.

OldGreyDave

Post by OldGreyDave » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:28 pm

OK, the inner tube has punctured again on the outside seam but at different spot. The talcum powder didn't do the trick :( I've started a dialogue with Schwalbe technical support and will post progress to this forum.

sterumbelow

Post by sterumbelow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi, Dave.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I’m having exactly the same problem and can’t find an answer to it.

Thanks for any help.

Dewar01

Post by Dewar01 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Ditto- just had 2 in 4 sessions
Interestingly, my talcum powder - which I normally always use when fitting a new inner - was not around when I fitted these. I blame my daughter.
The first puncture did look like a burn like abrasion on the outer side of the inner tube (ie with the inner casing of the tyre)

Anyone else solved this?

DannyDan

Post by DannyDan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:43 am

Have exactly the same problem. I have mtb 29 tacx training tyre and I've tried three different tubes. Also tried to use different tape. And I'm using 100 psi, even with that pressure it's hard to calibrate trainer which is tacx satori smart it always seems like roller pressure is to much when it's at the right point in app..

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:55 am

See also here:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=35244
DannyDan wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:43 am
And I'm using 100 psi, even with that pressure it's hard to calibrate trainer which is tacx satori smart it always seems like roller pressure is to much when it's at the right point in app..
The color of the calibration zone is only a guideline. The red zone is not a restricted area. In the entire color spectrum, the calibration value in the form of a coefficient is determined.

Application developers often allow bugs, much more often than we would like. The bug for Satori led to this:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35261
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”