Tacx Neo refuses to work in the cold

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

VicM

Tacx Neo refuses to work in the cold

Post by VicM » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Gents, what is in your experience the real operating temperatures of the NEO? The technical specifications claim it is -20C to +55C but in my case the trainer refuses to power up at about -2 to 0C.... It is placed on a cold large balcony where I used to train until one morning, after the cold hit really bad, the NEO greeted me with a red flashing light. After connecting to NEO, the dashboard in TacX utility app on my phone showed a flickering thermometer, while the trainer connects through bluetooth but refuses to start working - you can spin but it would not vary power output and would stop immediately after I stop spinning the pedals... It is cold but c'mon - refusing to work at about zero degrees celsius, really? After moving the NEO inside, it powers up in about 5 minutes and works without any issues. Any similar experiences?

Alex Masalovich

Re: Tacx Neo refuses to work in the cold

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:07 pm

VicM wrote:The technical specifications claim it is -20C to +55C
This is some kind of fantastic, unrealistic temperature range.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 am

Alex Masalovich wrote:
VicM wrote:The technical specifications claim it is -20C to +55C
This is some kind of fantastic, unrealistic temperature range.
There's often two temperature ranges for electronic devices, operating and non-operating, I would expect this is the non-operating range, i.e. what temperatures the unit can be stored at before suffering damage.

The operating range is likely to be much narrower and as the Neo is designed for indoor use, not working <0C doesn't really surprise.

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:33 pm

VicM wrote:After moving the NEO inside, it powers up in about 5 minutes and works without any issues.
I think you have answered your own question. I realize space constraints may play into this, but I cannot fathom spending that kind of money on a new trainer then storing it where it is exposed to the elements. While the Neo can be used outside, because the Neo has sensitive electronic components inside the case that are not hardened against the environment, leaving it outside or in a non-climate controlled environment, could easily allow the accumulation of moisture/ice on the electronic components that would surely cause problems not be covered by the warranty!
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

Dazgranfondo

Post by Dazgranfondo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:23 am

Hi, I posted on here earlier with similar problem to yours. My vortex smart is permanently set up in my garage which is cool but definitely not sub zero. When I turn it on, it flashes green/red and can't seem to make its mind up before flashing red. I can switch it on multiple times and get the same result and then go back a little later to find that the green light flashes again! I tried this after a long session too, when the trainer was not affected by cold temperatures and lo and behold, the red light was flashing again after switching off then on again. Very twitchy. Going back to shop to swap later this week and see if it was one off fault. But looking at forum, seems to me that there is something not quite right with them.

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Dazgranfondo wrote:But looking at forum, seems to me that there is something not quite right with them.
There are a couple other threads about flashing green/red lights on the Vortex Smart for which the consensus is that the latest firmware update resolves that issue.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

AlexanderPerdon

Post by AlexanderPerdon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:04 pm

VicM wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:19 pm
The technical specifications claim it is -20C to +55C
Where did you find this information?

I want to store my Neo in a stone barn in the garden. The temperature will be above 0C, however during the winter period it could be a little bit humid.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:45 pm

AlexanderPerdon wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:04 pm
VicM wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:19 pm
The technical specifications claim it is -20C to +55C
Where did you find this information?
See the specification in the manual:
http://tacx.com/support/manuals/trainer ... 11_web.pdf
From the same place:
Perspiration moisture and condensation can harm the electronics. Do not use the trainer in damp areas. Incorrect use and/or maintenance will void the warranty.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 am

However, I would interpret damp to mean enough to cause wetness (like from dripping of perspiration or having warm, highly humid air coming into contact with a cold brake so as to cause condensation. At the least, it would mean very, very high relative humidity (90%+). Ordinary high humidity conditions should not be a problem. After all, there are many locations in the world where the humidity is often in the 80%+ range, both summer and winter, so if that is disqualifying, that would be a huge limitation and probably render the product not useable.

AlexanderPerdon

Post by AlexanderPerdon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks. So it would be save to store the Neo in the barn. However before usage I better have it first adapted to the temperature within the room, otherwise due to sudden increase of temperature some condensation might appear.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”