Tacx Vortex Smart problems in ERG

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

hlvd

Tacx Vortex Smart problems in ERG

Post by hlvd » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:33 pm

I've a Tacx Vortex Smart which I use with TrainerRoad. I also have Garmin Vector pedals.

On my first three rides everything worked fine, but on my fourth ride I encountered problems.
After about a minute of warm up the Vortex would set it's resistance to what seemed it's maximum, making it unusable. Tried another few times but same thing would happen.

I unpair the Vectors and it works fine but the power is way off, the Vortex is showing 115 watts where my Garmin Edge 510 is showing 85 watts.
The cadence reported from the Vortex is also all over the place.

It will also work with the Vectors paired but power match unchecked, so I'm seeing true power and cadence on screen but not sure what mode the Vortex should be in, ERG or resistance?

This is all very frustrating as I know the power I'm training to isn't correct and have the means in the Vectors to get it accurate, but won't work.
The pedals and trainer have been calibrated before every ride,

Having gone from thinking the Vortex was an amazing machine, I now think it's a piece of junk.

Does anyone have any thoughts before I send it back?

giankam

Re: Tacx Vortex Smart problems in ERG

Post by giankam » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:50 pm

I have exactly the same problem, by using the PowerMatch functionality (in my case I am using the Vortex PowerMeter in addtion to the fe-c connection). I have contacted support and it looks like they are working on a solution, they have asked me to temporarly disable PowerMatch and just use it connected as an fe-c trainer. I will give them a try, looked to me support are onto the proble,.

hlvd

Post by hlvd » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Did Trainerroad or Tacx support say that?

I think Tacx support is non existent although Trainerroad seem pretty good.

giankam

Post by giankam » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Bugger me you're right. The answer came from Trainerroad (I'm exchanging emails with both...). But it's another reason to stick with Tacx, because the issue look to be related to a 3rd party software. I can't tell about Tacx support, they were prompt in answering an unrelated query.

hlvd

Post by hlvd » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 pm

giankam wrote:Bugger me you're right. The answer came from Trainerroad (I'm exchanging emails with both...). But it's another reason to stick with Tacx, because the issue look to be related to a 3rd party software. I can't tell about Tacx support, they were prompt in answering an unrelated query.
I think it's a Trainerroad glitch, hopefully something will be sorted soon.

giankam

Post by giankam » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:08 pm

I could finally test. Unpaird the ANT+ powermeter in TR and disabled PowerMatch. Smooth ride without problems. I cannot tell about the actual powerlevels (if they are accurate or not) since I do not have another Powermeter to compare them against.

hlvd

Post by hlvd » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Are you using the standard or beta version of TrainerRoad?

giankam

Post by giankam » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:15 am

Standard version on Mac

kevinneumann

Post by kevinneumann » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Curious as to everyone's issues with PowerMatch in TrainerRoad. My results are hit or miss. Sometimes it works perfect. Othertimes it is super flaky.

One thing I have noticed is that PowerMatch seems to crap out on low power intervals. For instance, I did 90 minutes endurance pace - all 150-190W - and it worked perfectly. However, every time I try to do something like a Sufferfest video where the recovery intervals are 80-95W for 1-4minutes, that is when PowerMatch goes crazy and goes full on resistance. I am able to change from ERG to Resistance mode which "fixes" the issue for the recovery interval and then am able to switch back to ERG mode on the next hard interval and it works beautifully. At least until the next recovery.

Any one else noticing a similar pattern?

david222

Post by david222 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:38 pm

I have exactly the same problem. My hard intervals work perfectly, no problem at all. Then I am finally at my well needed rest, first 30 seconds it does the job well and then BOOM, I have to stand on my padles to keep them spinning. No solution yet..
kevinneumann wrote:Curious as to everyone's issues with PowerMatch in TrainerRoad. My results are hit or miss. Sometimes it works perfect. Othertimes it is super flaky.

One thing I have noticed is that PowerMatch seems to crap out on low power intervals. For instance, I did 90 minutes endurance pace - all 150-190W - and it worked perfectly. However, every time I try to do something like a Sufferfest video where the recovery intervals are 80-95W for 1-4minutes, that is when PowerMatch goes crazy and goes full on resistance. I am able to change from ERG to Resistance mode which "fixes" the issue for the recovery interval and then am able to switch back to ERG mode on the next hard interval and it works beautifully. At least until the next recovery.

giankam

Post by giankam » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:43 pm

The solution is to disable PowerMatch until TR fixes it, have you done it?

kevinneumann

Post by kevinneumann » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:39 pm

TR just released their latest version out of beta on 1/21 which includes PowerMatch (the previous beta did not). I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and will report back with what I find.

cycling_blue

Post by cycling_blue » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:45 pm

david222 wrote:I have exactly the same problem. My hard intervals work perfectly, no problem at all. Then I am finally at my well needed rest, first 30 seconds it does the job well and then BOOM, I have to stand on my padles to keep them spinning. No solution yet..
kevinneumann wrote:Curious as to everyone's issues with PowerMatch in TrainerRoad. My results are hit or miss. Sometimes it works perfect. Othertimes it is super flaky.

Same issue here - any low power recovery sets, the ERG brake come on (when using my power meter rather than the Trainers power meter). I normally wait till the trainer comes to a stop, give it 5 seconds and then start again (in a 5 min recovery will probabaly have to do this half a dozen times). I have been in a long exchange of emails with TrainerRoad support (to be fair they have been very responsive) when they eventually said there is a know issue with the Vortex. I have not noticed the same issue when using the Trainer as power meter though in this case I have struggled to use offset to get the trainer power reading to be the same as my power meter. I asked TR support about disabling Powermatch and they said "So to answer your question about disabling PowerMatch, if you disable it, your power meter's readings will show in TR but the trainer will be controlled by its own readings" so from reading this I get that whilst my power meter readings will be displayed the Vortex resistance will be based on its reading (which under states power compared to my power meter) so I will not be able to train at the required level? Find all this very confusing - have I understood this correctly? Would like to think TR get this resolved ASAP seeing as they state the Vortex is fully compatible with TR - which is obviously is not.

foggymike

Post by foggymike » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Can't you adjust the roller pressure so the power reading from the turbo matches your power meter? At least if you do that you will be pushing the right watts.

EHB

Post by EHB » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:13 pm

I have also found this in trainerroad. By turning off PowerMatch it stopped. As well as disabling PowerMatch I haven't had it with setting an absolute difference eg. I use -7W as this is the difference I get between trainer and powermeter.

Obviously, it is not ideal, but hopefully trainerroad sort this, as it is a good idea.

keith

Post by keith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:16 am

Facing the same issue also with TrainerRoad 2.7.5 (MAC OSX), Tacx Vortex and Garmin Vector 2

anyone here more back from TR on when will be fixed?

kevinneumann

Post by kevinneumann » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:50 pm

No fix yet - at least not for Mac - that I am aware of. The new version for Windows (complete overhaul) seems to be slightly better but I haven't spent enough time with it to be sure.

If you haven't already, I would encourage you to open a support ticket with TR so that they know how many people are affected by this.

keith

Post by keith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:26 pm

kevinneumann wrote:No fix yet - at least not for Mac - that I am aware of. The new version for Windows (complete overhaul) seems to be slightly better but I haven't spent enough time with it to be sure.

If you haven't already, I would encourage you to open a support ticket with TR so that they know how many people are affected by this.
I have opened a ticket just now with TR

keith

Post by keith » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:13 am

Update: Was on to Nate Pearson (TR co-founder & CEO) and he said they are aware of a bug causing the issues of spikes. They have implemented some changes in the windows version to alleviate this but not yet for the OSX version, that's a few weeks away. For now I'm just going to use the power from the Vortex and not use PowerMatch until bug is fixed. There is only a 4-6% difference between my turbo and powermeter so i've adjusted my FTP accordingly.

RadekD

Post by RadekD » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:54 am

hello,
Last edited by RadekD on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”