Tacx Neo T2800

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

Sharpedge

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by Sharpedge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Here area a few pictures of the Cube Litening. Bike is still very dirty from my ride to the LBS to get a set of mudguards this morning! I asked about the use of a carbon bike with the Neo and the staff where not happy with the thickness of my chain/seat stays. Said they could see no reason why it would not fit but warned against doing any standing power work.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:41 pm

That's a standard 5mm skewer, isn't it? Just replace with the Tacx skewer that comes with the trainer and you are good to go.

I wouldn't be too much concerned with using a carbon bike on the trainer. German cycling magazine "tour" put a couple of stress sensors on a bike and tested it outside and on a trainer. The forces on the trainer were lower than outside. The article is available (for free, in German) here http://www.tour-magazin.de/service/ratg ... /a173.html I believe the hesitation of manufacturers to recommend use on the trainer is mainly due to lack of knowledge. I don't think Cube ever baked one single carbon frame and would need back-to-back warranty from the guys who do that for them (I'd bet on Merida or Giant) to assume that warranty.

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Interesting link, ive used carbon bikes on trainer for years without issue also clamped on ladder bar style roof rack via front forks (also advised against :roll: ) without issue
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

Sharpedge

Post by Sharpedge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:15 pm

Thanks for the help, yes standard 5mm skewers fitted to the bike. Time to get one of these bad boys on order.

Sharpedge

Post by Sharpedge » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:58 pm

I've ordered an ultegra cassette to go with the Neo and am after a bit of advice on the tool required for the lockring. The Tacx cassette instructions report that the Shimano 'remover' will not fit the EDCO 11T lockring and that I should use a Compagnolo type tool. Does this mean that I need a Shimano tool for the road wheel and a Compagnolo goole for the Neo. Is there a tool that will do both?

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:04 pm

I have dual ended cassette removal tool (Shimano/Campagnolo) but can't remember where purchased..try google :)

https://www.bikerumor.com/2012/09/02/ha ... ette-tool/
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Tacx are typically a bit, er, charmingly late in updating their homepage. The information is a bit hidden in the accessories section, but it is: "The Campagnolo remover is suitable for the Tacx NEO Smart up to model T280051150208, the Shimano remover is suitable for the Tacx NEO from model T280051150208 onwards and the FLUX Smart. Note: to use this tool, you need a sprocket remover to hold your cassette in place, such as the Tacx sprocket remover (T4540 or T4542)." In other words, unless you get old stock Neo, a Shimano tool will do the job. Tacx switched from Campa to Shimano lockring on the Edco freehub last winter or so.

The dual tool is a good investment, though. I think no one is a proper MAMIL without a Campa groupset on one's road bike.... :mrgreen:

mickyduck

Post by mickyduck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:35 pm

I am a MAMIL... only have campag :lol:

JaapW

Post by JaapW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:20 pm

JaapW wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 pm
No one saw this one before? Tacx have released their new trainer: Tacx Neo T2800: http://www.rosebikes.com/article/tacx-n ... aid:824731

Basically it's a Wahoo KICKR-inspired trainer with (unlike the Wahoo) a motor brake and, thus, downhill support just like the Fortius, Genius & Ironman trainers.

No more slipping tires sounds good. Low sound sounds good, too. As a Fortius user, the Smart capability is nice, too (to use with Trainer Road, Zwift etc).

PS: seems like there will be a Tacx Ironman T2060 as well, which basically is the original Ironman with Smart capability.

At €1400,- the price is a little too steep for my liking though. Looking forward to a few reviews.

Nice to see new trainer coming!
As topic starter I'm happy to finally have the Neo myself as well. I think the thing is amazing. Have used the Fortius for over 8 years, but this is such a great step forwards: resistance, noise, ease-of-use, direct drive, no more flats due to heat, the Smart features.

Last night I rode La Planche des Belles Filles. That climb has parts exceeding 15% with the last ramp exceeding 20%. On the Neo these parts are just brutal. I considered using Power Mode, it was that hard. But it's great, too :)

Being able to use other apps like Zwift (incl. Road Feel rumbling on wooden parts) is a nice addition.
Jaap Wagenvoort

Blueberry

Post by Blueberry » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:50 pm

JaapW wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:20 pm
JaapW wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 pm
No one saw this one before? Tacx have released their new trainer: Tacx Neo T2800: http://www.rosebikes.com/article/tacx-n ... aid:824731

Basically it's a Wahoo KICKR-inspired trainer with (unlike the Wahoo) a motor brake and, thus, downhill support just like the Fortius, Genius & Ironman trainers.

No more slipping tires sounds good. Low sound sounds good, too. As a Fortius user, the Smart capability is nice, too (to use with Trainer Road, Zwift etc).

PS: seems like there will be a Tacx Ironman T2060 as well, which basically is the original Ironman with Smart capability.

At €1400,- the price is a little too steep for my liking though. Looking forward to a few reviews.

Nice to see new trainer coming!
As topic starter I'm happy to finally have the Neo myself as well. I think the thing is amazing. Have used the Fortius for over 8 years, but this is such a great step forwards: resistance, noise, ease-of-use, direct drive, no more flats due to heat, the Smart features.

Last night I rode La Planche des Belles Filles. That climb has parts exceeding 15% with the last ramp exceeding 20%. On the Neo these parts are just brutal. I considered using Power Mode, it was that hard. But it's great, too :)

Being able to use other apps like Zwift (incl. Road Feel rumbling on wooden parts) is a nice addition.

Hi Jaap,

yeah... I felt the same when I switched from my Genius to the NEO a year ago...

BTW any new films from you in the future?

cheers - Andreas

JaapW

Post by JaapW » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Blueberry wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi Jaap,

yeah... I felt the same when I switched from my Genius to the NEO a year ago...

BTW any new films from you in the future?

cheers - Andreas
Yes, the Neo feels great. Rode up the Alpe last night and it's so nice to be able to ride without any tyre slipping.

I have just released two new films. One filmed in Canada (perfect natural interval course through the beautiful Parc Gatineau near Ottawa) and one from the 'Green Heart' of The Netherlands. The last one shows the typical Dutch scenery (windmills, dikes, canals) and works as a fantastic endurance or recovery ride. This is a nice change from all those climbs :)

If you'd like any additional info, just let me know (I don't want to use this forum to advertise the films).
Jaap Wagenvoort

rgurney

Post by rgurney » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Jaap - Are they Tacx films? Don't see any new films on the Tacx website.

JaapW

Post by JaapW » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:43 pm

rgurney wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:51 pm
Jaap - Are they Tacx films? Don't see any new films on the Tacx website.
Nope, they are my own. Which is why I think it's not OK to talk about those here on the Tacx forum. Feel free to contact me if you want some extra info on those RLV's.
Jaap Wagenvoort

Blueberry

Post by Blueberry » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:55 pm

JaapW wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:33 pm

If you'd like any additional info, just let me know (I don't want to use this forum to advertise the films).
yes for sure ... no worries... I just had a look at your website - looks pretty good. I am on a business trip right now but when I am back home I will have a closer look.

Have a nice weekend!

Andreas

Nishido

Post by Nishido » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:53 am

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a neo, as I've been using a bushido for a couple of years, but have just moved into a flat and am conscious of the noise I'm making for the flat below with the bushido, and I want something with some actual momentum, so I don't grind to a halt the second I stop pedalling.

Anyway - the problem I have is my bike only has claris 8-speed. Now I've seen from post like this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TacxNeo ... 1654891829 (look at the comments)

where it seems people have managed to use shimano 8-speed cassettes with the neo without issue. However, upon emailing tacx to confirm, they seem adamant that 8-speed is not compatible, and I must use 9, 10 or 11-speed casettes. But of course, that means upgrading my entire groupset, which I'd rather not have to do when forking out for an expensive trainer at the same time.

Can anyone confirm if shimano 8-speeds are ok?

Looking at photos online the splines look the same - and surely that's all that matters? I figured it'd just be a case of using the correct spacers if the splines all match up with the hub?

raceface_lefty

Post by raceface_lefty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Nishido wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:53 am

Can anyone confirm if shimano 8-speeds are ok?

I have fitted Shimano 8 speed to the NEO without too much difficulty. The width of an 8 speed cassette is the issue but it worked without any issues.

At worst you can machine a mm from the inside of the cassette to make it fit over the end of the Edco freehub but I didn't have to do this.
If you don't fall you're going too slow.

eightace

Post by eightace » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:14 am

I have an 8 speed Claris set up without any issues (wife's bike). Using the spacer provided by Tacx is very important however.

waywardcyclist

Post by waywardcyclist » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:23 am

So after 11 months (5-6 months of active use) my Neo has developed the "Sawbone" illness (loud vibrating noise that rattles the whole bike).
It seems to come on slowly and has gotten progressively worse over the last week or two.
At first, it was only on big descents but now I can feel/hear it at -1%
Climbing anything above 4% is still delightfully quiet.
For those that received a replacement, did you go through Tacx or the dealer you purchased from?
Shipping on this thing is going to be expensive!
For the record, mine is a "W 2017" (version 2) purchased late Dec 2016.
For those in the technical know, what causes the sawbone effect?
Neo and Genius, TTS 4.22, Macbook Pro (i7, 250GB SSD, 8GB ram, Win7/Bootcamp), BenQ W6000, 150" screen (380cm).
http://waywardcyclist.wordpress.com

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 pm

waywardcyclist wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:23 am
So after 11 months (5-6 months of active use) my Neo has developed the "Sawbone" illness (loud vibrating noise that rattles the whole bike).
Sorry to hear you are having issues but have you reviewed Tacx's Neo Smart support page to make are you sure you have the 'Sawbone' issue? My understanding is that the Sawbone issue was a result of a manufacturing issue in which metal filings migrated into/between the magnets and in most cases (myself included), the issue was typically observed right out of the box or within a very short period of time after starting to use the trainer and in my case, I verified the issue by picking the trainer off the ground (caution, it is heavy/45+ pounds) and flipping it upside down which would in turn cause the trainer to exhibit a sound similar to loose bits moving about inside.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

Gordonk

Post by Gordonk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:10 pm

I had the same thing on my NEO. Noise and vibration on the downhill. I took the hub off and greased it and all is well again. Might be worth a try.

Gordo
AMD Phenom X2 1055T 6 core
8G RAM
XFX Radeon HD 6950 1Gig video
60 Gig SSD harddrive for OS
1 Terabyte storage drive
Windows 7 64 bit
FORTIUS MOTORBRAKE
TTS 4.9.1
TTS3 3.12

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”