Tacx Neo T2800

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz

SaikuringuSean

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by SaikuringuSean » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:57 am

ms6703,

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm going to get a new chain and see if that takes care of the issue. Cheers!

Zaskar

Post by Zaskar » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:03 am

Hi, i just get my Neo but i´m a little concerned. At slow cadence it has a small vibration, it´s like i could feel the magnets while pedaling, and it looks like it has very little ¿inertia? i came from a Bkool Classic and it was smoother and I don´t know if this is normal. The fact is that it was easier for me to ride al 200w with the bkool (measured with the same power meter, not with the trainers)

Anyone could help me?

Thanks

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:28 am

Zaskar wrote:At slow cadence it has a small vibration, it´s like i could feel the magnets while pedaling, and it looks like it has very little ¿inertia?
When not plugged into the mains, the Neo will act like a fluid trainer and spin down will be very quick, but that should not be the case when plugged into the mains and connected to a training app such as the Tacx Cycling App for tablets.
Last edited by ms6073 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

Zaskar

Post by Zaskar » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:09 pm

ms6073 wrote:
Zaskar wrote:At slow cadence it has a small vibration, it´s like i could feel the magnets while pedaling, and it looks like it has very little ¿inertia?
When plugged into the mains, the Neo will act like a fluid trainer and spin down will be very quick, but that should not be the case when plugged into the mains and connected to a training app such as the Tacx Cycling App for tablets.
Thanks. It´s plugged.

I´ve tried it with bkool, Zwift and Tacx Training for Android. With Bkool ant Tacx Training it feels "heavy", with Zwift it looks better. Maybe its matter of getting used to a new trainer after a lot of hours with the bkool. I´dont know what kind o behavior could i expect with the TTS 4 and it would be better.

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Not sure this will help, but we got Tacx Neo's earlier this year after a number of years training with legacy Bushido rear wheel drive trainers. It was a significant change as the Neo gave us a smoother application of resistance and inertia was modeled so that it was not impacted by thermal drift from the roller/tire interface like the Bushido. Tacx then released a couple firmware updates, and after the last one, my wife even commented, that is how the trainer should 'feel', just like pedaling on the road! I have pedaled my Neo at 30-40 RPM and 40-watts and it is very smooth, so if your Neo has vibration/roughness type feedback when pedaling, I would urge you to contact the seller and arrange for an exchange for another one.
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung 32" LED TV

Zaskar

Post by Zaskar » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:45 pm

ms6073 wrote:Not sure this will help, but we Tacx Neo's early this year after a number of years training with legacy Bushido rear wheel drive trainers. It was a significant change as the Neo gave us a smoother application of resistance and inertia was modeled so that it was not impacted by thermal drift from the roller/tire interface like the Bushido. Tacx then released a couple firmware updates, and after the last one, my wife even commented, that is how the trainer should 'feel', just like pedaling on the road! I have pedaled my Neo at 30-40 RPM and 40-watts and it is very smooth, so if your Neo has vibration/roughness type feedback when pedaling, I would urge you to contact the seller and arrange for an exchange for another one.

Thanks again. I´ve read on DCR´s blog that feeling the magnets is quite normal. i´m going to keep using it this week in case it´s just an adaptation issue but if it isnt i´ll contact the retailer. Im starting to think that my old cheap bkool was way better than i thought but too loud this one is amazingly quiet.

constellation

Post by constellation » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Just want to let people know that the W 2017 Neo fits the 2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro with 140mm disc brakes. Based on the templates, it looked like I was going to have to remove the caliper in order to use it, but that is not the case. It fits with a few mm of clearance. If anyone wants pictures of anything, please let me know.

triwolf

Post by triwolf » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:51 am

Hi all,

i recently upgraded my Genius Smart to the Neo. So far i am really satisfied with the performance of the Neo. I have just two questions:

1. While riding, the enclosure of the Neo makes a cracking noise when the bike is rocking a bit left and right during pedaling. First i thought this noise comes from the Bike but it is clearly produced by the Neo. It sounds a bit like Plastic cracking. Do other users experience the same or is something lose in my Neo?

2. The power output of the Neo is 10 % lower than i do get from my Vector Powermeter. Is there a way to correct Power Output from the Neo to a reference? My intention was to use only the Neo's power values for watt based workouts.

Thanks for help

ChrisCYWG

Post by ChrisCYWG » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:54 am

Ive been hearing a plastic creak, but I think its the shim in my shoe...

My power output on my neo is exact with my SRM.. my friend has vector and his power always seems to read 10%+ more than my srm... dunno what to say there

triwolf wrote:Hi all,

i recently upgraded my Genius Smart to the Neo. So far i am really satisfied with the performance of the Neo. I have just two questions:

1. While riding, the enclosure of the Neo makes a cracking noise when the bike is rocking a bit left and right during pedaling. First i thought this noise comes from the Bike but it is clearly produced by the Neo. It sounds a bit like Plastic cracking. Do other users experience the same or is something lose in my Neo?

2. The power output of the Neo is 10 % lower than i do get from my Vector Powermeter. Is there a way to correct Power Output from the Neo to a reference? My intention was to use only the Neo's power values for watt based workouts.

Thanks for help

triwolf

Post by triwolf » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Got it now! The noise is generated by the hinges on the enclosure. I fixed it with some tape on the gaps so there is no friction between the plastic parts.
However, i am still doubtful with the power readings. 10+ percent lower than readings from my vector seems way off :(

dz_nuzz

Post by dz_nuzz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Hey guys just got one of the 2017 year model Tacx Neo (new casing design).

I just tested it on a Felt DA1 2015 and a FELT AR 2015 and it successfully fits. It is very close to the left chain-stay but does not touch so it does look like the new design improved frame compatibility. Hoping someone finds this useful.

isidoro

Post by isidoro » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:54 pm

Hello i bought the neo and install a 11 speed shimano cassete, manual says that you don't need any spacer except for the ones that comes with the cassete. But after installing it , the cassete it moves a little, is that normal?

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:12 am

No, the cassette should be fixed with no movement in the same manner as the cassette on the rear wheel from your bicycle.
Samsung 32" LED TV

isidoro

Post by isidoro » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:47 am

ms6073 wrote:No, the cassette should be fixed with no movement in the same manner as the cassette on the rear wheel from your bicycle.
Thanks i think i have or the hub or the cassete faulty because it moves the ring between the cassete , and i think i have locked the ring pretty hard because it has already the first ring some dent of tightening

orbicek

Post by orbicek » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:39 pm

So after not that great experience with Vortex Smart and Genius Smart I stil tried my luck for the third time and bought Neo ven I read many stories about noise problem. I ordered from Wiggle and the trainer is awesome, great to use, great feel when pedaling, but I am just really not sure if it isn't to noisy:

1) I heard clinging noise, when I am starting to pedal, which dissapears, but could be replicated by turning the silver wheel by hand - listen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/q996534ivm0yu ... 9.mp4?dl=0

2) When constatly pedaling at around 90PM on middle rings in the back, the tariner is pretty silent, but that changes when I increase RPM or shift to harder gear, it might be drivetrain even if I make sure it is well lubed, but there is a very high pitch squealing in the background - listen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/2utsrzyw9km3c ... 1.mp4?dl=0 the squeal appear about 0.05 after beginning

3) And on harder gears (wattage doesnt really matter - it gets louder with more RPM and speed) it could get really loud with a hearable "whiz" when stumping pedals down - listen here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbpab65gxmekl ... 5.mp4?dl=0 the whizzing is starting at around 0:20 when I shift to smaller cog and start pushing.

Is that normal or should I be worried? Or I am paranoic from reading all the stuff about faulty NEOs?

Btw. Is it 2017 model.

Btw2. I already check the freehub axle and grease it

bigrichard

Post by bigrichard » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:08 am

I wasn't going to do it and I'm still not sure I'm thinking straight. I was waiting for the Tacx Flux but after hearing about yet another delay I called my bike shop buddy. He said he had one NEO left and so I went over today. I took my bike that I plan on using, Ridley X_Fire Cross bike, and it was a good thing I did. They offered to get my bike mounted up so I said heck yea, it beats me having to do it, I'm lazy that way. If you ain't charging me sure do it. Anyway it took them about two hours. I bought a new Campy cassette 12x30, I have been running a 12x29. I'm not sure what the issue was, first the derailleur would hit the NEO then adding a spacer fixed that bet then the lock ring was rubbing against the dropout. He took the spacer back out and it worked properly, go figure. So no spacers with a Campy Centaur 10 spd cassette. Then the trick was to get my bike to accept the wheel back into the frame without having to adjust the derailleur. He did that by adding a spacer behind the cassette on the wheel. So, things are working now. I got it home and set up the bike, plugged into the mains and fired up TTS4. Everything was found without a hick-up. I only had strength to try a couple of kilometers of a VR ride because I already rode outside 63 miles on gravel roads today but I plan on giving it a full go tomorrow. The trainer is quiet, not as quiet as I thought it would be though, actually the Fortius wasn't much louder. I think some of that noise is my drive chain which I will clean thoroughly tomorrow.I doubt the chain needs replaced yet since it probably only has about 1500 miles on it. I hope things will smooth out as things wear in together. The sticker on the outside of the box said 2017 so there is some relief. I don't know if there are any updates I should do because I haven't really paid that much attention. Next up, multiplayer, it will be interesting to see how that goes. :mrgreen:
NEO
TTS4 Version 4.22.0.0
42" Panasonic Plasma
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
Intel core i7 3770K @ 3.9GHz
16GB RAM @ 1600 MHz
Nvidia GTX980 4095 MB
Samsung 840 Pro 256G hard drive
Corsair 860 PSU
Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit

ChrisInYpsi

Post by ChrisInYpsi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:20 am

constellation wrote:Just want to let people know that the W 2017 Neo fits the 2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro with 140mm disc brakes. Based on the templates, it looked like I was going to have to remove the caliper in order to use it, but that is not the case. It fits with a few mm of clearance. If anyone wants pictures of anything, please let me know.
I have the same bike would love to get a feel for how much clearance there is. Would you mind posting a few pics and confirming if you have the new 2017 updated model or the original version?

Thanks!

Colnagojohn

Post by Colnagojohn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi guys hoping someone can help me here. I recently bought a neo but the power readings I am getting are consistently ~10% Lower than mr srm, power2max and power tap pedals. The srm is calibrated properly on a monthly basis and the others read within 1% of this but the neo is consistently lower. Any idea how to rectify this?
I am using Tacx cycling app to control the unit and the difference is present in both ergo mode and in normal slope mode.
Any suggestions most welcome

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:36 am

Connect your SRM with the Tacx App, then select the option to have the Neo resistance controlled by the SRM's power output.
Samsung 32" LED TV

Colnagojohn

Post by Colnagojohn » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:44 pm

ms6073 wrote:Connect your SRM with the Tacx App, then select the option to have the Neo resistance controlled by the SRM's power output.
I cannot do this though because the srm isn't Bluetooth so can't connect to my iPad Pro.
I wanted the power to be very close so that I can use the turbo power meter instead of having to use one of my bikes with a power meter fitted all the time

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”