Tacx Neo T2800

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

Post Reply
JaapW
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:51 am
Location: De Meern, NL
Contact:

Tacx Neo T2800

Post by JaapW » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 pm

No one saw this one before? Tacx have released their new trainer: Tacx Neo T2800: http://www.rosebikes.com/article/tacx-n ... aid:824731

Basically it's a Wahoo KICKR-inspired trainer with (unlike the Wahoo) a motor brake and, thus, downhill support just like the Fortius, Genius & Ironman trainers.

No more slipping tires sounds good. Low sound sounds good, too. As a Fortius user, the Smart capability is nice, too (to use with Trainer Road, Zwift etc).

PS: seems like there will be a Tacx Ironman T2060 as well, which basically is the original Ironman with Smart capability.

At €1400,- the price is a little too steep for my liking though. Looking forward to a few reviews.

Nice to see new trainer coming!
Jaap Wagenvoort

User avatar
ms6073
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: USA, Houston, TX

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by ms6073 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

I wonder how all these web outlets are getting the information as that is kind of stealing Tacx's Eurobike thunder.

Tacx Ironman T2060
Image
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

User avatar
Edgarini
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 am
Location: Madison, WI, US

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by Edgarini » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:19 am

ms6073 wrote:I wonder how all these web outlets are getting the information as that is kind of stealing Tacx's Eurobike thunder.
Tacx is apparently already pimping it

A huge motor, direct drive, ANT+ "FE-C" ("fitness equipment controls" = universal open ANT+ standard), and reverse compatibility w/ the Tacx RLV collection....wow...looks promising.
Last edited by Edgarini on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMC
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:49 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by SMC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:30 pm

I agree Edgarini, can't wait!

I was holding off on upgrading from my bulletproof Fortius on the hopes that something like the Neo would be released.

I'm hoping it rolls out without any issues and is available in the fall.

Scott

User avatar
ms6073
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: USA, Houston, TX

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by ms6073 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:41 pm

SMC wrote:I'm hoping it rolls out without any issues and is available in the fall.
Now that is just plain crazy talk right there. :mrgreen:
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

User avatar
Lunatix
Site Admin
Posts: 2670
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by Lunatix » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:28 am

ms6073 wrote:
SMC wrote:I'm hoping it rolls out without any issues and is available in the fall.
Now that is just plain crazy talk right there. :mrgreen:
We are working on getting the NEO (Which works like a FE-C brake) working in TTs4 and the TCA :-) We'll be ready! :-)

sgarnier
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 am
Location: France

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by sgarnier » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:57 pm

What's the difference between t2800 and t2016 ?

sgarnier
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 am
Location: France

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by sgarnier » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:50 pm


User avatar
Edgarini
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 am
Location: Madison, WI, US

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by Edgarini » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:32 pm

As it turns out, this does NOT have a real flywheel. I mistakenly assumed that large silver disk exposed on the right side was a metal flywheel.....my bad :oops:, and that "20kg" flywheel stat quoted is apparently an estimate of the motor-based one.

Hmm....maybe the virtual one works fine, but will definitely have to wait and see what others say before jumping in. It has optional power input, so the virtual flywheel could in theory work as well or better than that of the Genius when plugged in and surely much better that the Bushido Smart which has almost no run-on momentum due to its flywheeless/powerless design.

A quote from the above link: "....produce up to 450 watts of resistance when traveling at just 6km/h (3.7mph)...". Wow....w/ no wheel slip issues, this should definitely up the "Real" of Phil's "R"LVs at least for my wattages....glad I have a compact :shock:. Fingers are definitely crossed that this plays out.

User avatar
Tacx Video Production
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Edgarini wrote:As it turns out, this does NOT have a real flywheel. I mistakenly assumed that large silver disk exposed on the right side was a metal flywheel.....my bad :oops:, and that "20kg" flywheel stat quoted is apparently an estimate of the motor-based one.

Hmm....maybe the virtual one works fine, but will definitely have to wait and see what others say before jumping in. It has optional power input, so the virtual flywheel could in theory work as well or better than that of the Genius when plugged in and surely much better that the Bushido Smart which has almost no run-on momentum due to its flywheeless/powerless design.

A quote from the above link: "....produce up to 450 watts of resistance when traveling at just 6km/h (3.7mph)...". Wow....w/ no wheel slip issues, this should definitely up the "Real" of Phil's "R"LVs at least for my wattages....glad I have a compact :shock:. Fingers are definitely crossed that this plays out.
I rode it a bit at the distributor briefing a few weeks ago with the Tacx App & a RLV & it felt like Tacx have finally nailed it.

sgarnier
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 am
Location: France

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by sgarnier » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:21 pm

Will this product be mature enough for september ?

User avatar
Tacx Video Production
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:56 pm

sgarnier wrote:Will this product be mature enough for september ?
They are producing them right now. All the distributors have already tried it out & placed their orders so I think it will be fairly smooth running release. It was working with the Tacx app already, I know it works with Veloreality & Zwift already also...

User avatar
ms6073
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: USA, Houston, TX

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by ms6073 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:24 am

Well I am impressed, and with recent issues with legacy Bushido and TTS, that says a lot. One thing question that immediately jumps out is if there is no calibration required, then when using an external powermeter, how does one 'sync' the neo to produce comparable power data?
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

User avatar
Tacx Video Production
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:11 am

ms6073 wrote:Well I am impressed, and with recent issues with legacy Bushido and TTS, that says a lot. One thing question that immediately jumps out is if there is no calibration required, then when using an external powermeter, how does one 'sync' the neo to produce comparable power data?
Thats software side, TTS, Zwift, Veloreality all have the option to pull the power meter Ant+ power information & display/use this.

JaapW
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:51 am
Location: De Meern, NL
Contact:

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by JaapW » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:09 am

Key question for me is: will this different approach also avoid having to calibrate and, more importantly, provide a real equal environment for fair online racing? Would be good if you know everyone is running the same, basically fundamental for Phil's 'meet you in Bedoin at 6PM' vision (which I fully share btw). If Tacx has this covered, then they can really make a step with the Neo, it could be the one and only trainer which offers true fair online racing, for Neo trainers only.
Jaap Wagenvoort

User avatar
Tacx Video Production
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by Tacx Video Production » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:06 am

JaapW wrote:Key question for me is: will this different approach also avoid having to calibrate and, more importantly, provide a real equal environment for fair online racing? Would be good if you know everyone is running the same, basically fundamental for Phil's 'meet you in Bedoin at 6PM' vision (which I fully share btw). If Tacx has this covered, then they can really make a step with the Neo, it could be the one and only trainer which offers true fair online racing, for Neo trainers only.
You mean does it pump out accurate watts? Its a direct drive so no need to do a spin down test. The power thats being produced by the well known (in here) Beta tester Im in regular contact with looks accurate for him...he is not setting any new crazy fast PR on d'Huez yet.

As for the cyclosportive concept, if you have a 1000 riders online together then it does not really matter all that much if some of them are going a bit faster "or slower" then they should in real life....take it as randomly spread out carbon fibre wheels... But even with trainer power profiles its possible to get ball park Watts from even a set of rollers, when you have fairly accurate watts & have your weight set correct then you should be good to go...The main thing is that you have some fun catching slower riders, pacing with riders that are going your speed & that over the weeks you move up the result list & not down it! :wink:

User avatar
jpalcover
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Swiss Alps (5,000 ft) and Pollensa, Mallorca, Spain (sea level). Occasionally in Paris or Royan.

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by jpalcover » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:38 am

Lunatix wrote: We are working on getting the NEO (Which works like a FE-C brake) working in TTs4 and the TCA :-) We'll be ready! :-)
Can you let us know when the NEO will be ready to run with TTS4 (and, ideally, under Windows 10)?

I'll buy one once I get that "green light".

Many thanks in advance. :D :)
Running TTS4.19.1 on
WIN 10 PRO 64bit
i7-4790 4.0 GHz; 24GB RAM @ 1600 MHz; AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB
256 GB SSD (System) + 2TB HDD (data); BluRay drive
i-Genius (Brake fw: 1.1.325); Satori

User avatar
jpalcover
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Swiss Alps (5,000 ft) and Pollensa, Mallorca, Spain (sea level). Occasionally in Paris or Royan.

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by jpalcover » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:39 am

sgarnier wrote:What's the difference between t2800 and t2016 ?
2800 is the "model number"; 2016 is the ""model year".
Running TTS4.19.1 on
WIN 10 PRO 64bit
i7-4790 4.0 GHz; 24GB RAM @ 1600 MHz; AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB
256 GB SSD (System) + 2TB HDD (data); BluRay drive
i-Genius (Brake fw: 1.1.325); Satori

User avatar
jpalcover
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Swiss Alps (5,000 ft) and Pollensa, Mallorca, Spain (sea level). Occasionally in Paris or Royan.

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by jpalcover » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:44 am

Tacx Video Production wrote: I rode it a bit at the distributor briefing a few weeks ago with the Tacx App & a RLV & it felt like Tacx have finally nailed it.
Can you tell us how it works under TTS4 (Catalyst and RLVs), once you have had an opportunity to test?
Many thanks in advance.
Running TTS4.19.1 on
WIN 10 PRO 64bit
i7-4790 4.0 GHz; 24GB RAM @ 1600 MHz; AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB
256 GB SSD (System) + 2TB HDD (data); BluRay drive
i-Genius (Brake fw: 1.1.325); Satori

User avatar
Tacx Video Production
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Tacx Neo T2800

Post by Tacx Video Production » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:20 am

jpalcover wrote:
sgarnier wrote:What's the difference between t2800 and t2016 ?
2800 is the "model number"; 2016 is the ""model year".
The Neo is T2800

Post Reply

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests