Vortex Amber light after update

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz

Tacx support
Site Admin

Vortex Amber light after update

Post by Tacx support » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:53 am

We have seen customers with an problem after updating the brake via the software.
The brake will show an amber light instead of a green blinking one.

To fix this you will need to close the software.

Then go to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacx\TacxTrainersoftware4\updater\TacxUpdate\TacxUpdater
(make sure the ANT+ antenna is plugged in)

Then select the Vortex and then the brake and start the update.

MCUSTOMS

Re: Vortex Amber light after update

Post by MCUSTOMS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:24 am

No way! The amber light is on, the brake unit can not be found by ANT+ !!!
Ant+ initialization is failed, the program has to quit !!!
What to do?!^&!&?
Vortex trainer.

MCUSTOMS

Post by MCUSTOMS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:28 am

Unplugged everything. Restarted PC, restarted my brake unit so it was found at 3rd attempt.
Upload completed, grrrreeen light is on :)
Please restart everything, for me turning off software was not enough...

herminator67

Post by herminator67 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:06 pm

Hello i just buy a new vortex smart to train with my smartphone..
But i take it out the box and amber light... but i don't have the tacx software because i want to use my tablet and smartphone... but no bluethooth with amber light so no update with the tacx apply....
a solution ?

kensteinsvik

Post by kensteinsvik » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:30 pm

I have the same problem as MCUSTOMS after updating the brake firmware to my vortex. Are there any solutions to this problem? The orange light is on and I can't connect to my trainer.

Thanks,

Ken

Jambo074

Post by Jambo074 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem, constant orange / amber light and will not connect to ipad. I have no software as I didn't get any software with trainer. I have removed the utility and training app and tried reinstalling etc to no avail.
Not very happy as I thought this was to suppose to work straight out of the box!!!!!!!!!!

Come on tacx get this sorted please!

Xbalda

Post by Xbalda » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:45 am

I have the same problem with a brand new vortex smart. Did not get a chance to take one spin. Hopefully tacx will provide a solution soon. It's been 5 days since my email to support with no response. Ready to drop back in the post.

ian_d

Post by ian_d » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:40 pm

Likewise. I have the amber LED and effectively a dead smart trainer.
Has been working fine for a few rides with the firmware updated for Zwift (via a friend's iPhone).
I don't have Tacx software (and I guess I shouldn't need to buy it to fix this).
A fix would be great - even a description of the problem would be appreciated. Why would it stop working?

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:56 pm

ian_d wrote:I don't have Tacx software (and I guess I shouldn't need to buy it to fix this).
Here is a link to the full install for TTS 4.12
While you will need an ANT+ USB Antenna, you should not need a license to use the updater to update the firmware on a Bushido/Vortex SMART trainer.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

ian_d

Post by ian_d » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Thanks @ms6073 the above info you supplied solved the problem, and no you do not need a license to run the updater.

Xbalda

Post by Xbalda » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:15 am

I still cannot connect. I've purchased a USB ANT key, borrowed a friends PC, and the software recommended is indicating that I need to "...instal the last disk of the Tacx Training software to proceed". I'm not interested in buying this new software package. Any solutions?? Still no feedback from Tacx support.

DBR100

Post by DBR100 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:50 pm

+1 for the fix above with the TTS updater. Brand new smart vortex, updated to ANT+ FE/C with iPhone , all OK, powered off and no motor/brake and solid orange light. Not a great start, hope this isn't the sign of poor reliability - might just send it back and buy an alternative make.

rubipako

Post by rubipako » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:22 pm

try to update to firmware 2.7 with tacxupdater.exe, when uploading starts it always says error ocurred. Ant+ stick works properly and have the pc very close to the unit. Now my vortex is useless with amber light on.
what can i do?

rubipako

Post by rubipako » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:44 pm

same problem. trying to update to frimware 2.7 has been impossible. while uploading... error ocurred. Amber light is on and vortex is not working. tried to restart everything but i always end with error occurred.

rubipako

Post by rubipako » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:23 pm

finalyy got it. after several failed attempts i changhes the usb port of my ant+ and worked. now im on firm 2.7
however, the brake is doing now a terrible noise. I am thinking on sending it back

juliancab

Post by juliancab » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:00 am

Any solution to this problem that does not involve connecting a PC? I strongly prefer to connect to the trainer via iPhone/iPad (reason why I don't own an ANT+ USB stick). It is really upsetting having a dead smart trainer!!!

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:13 pm

juliancab wrote:It is really upsetting having a dead smart trainer!!!
Have you sent an email to support@tacx.com to open a support ticket? Also, if you have a Vortex SMART, the iOS Tacx Utility App is the only method available for updating the firmware.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

mapboy

Post by mapboy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:02 am

where do we download the software for the updater. This is really frustrating, I should have purchased a wahoo kickr snap

mapboy

Post by mapboy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:04 am

where do we download the software for the updater. This is really frustrating, I should have purchased a wahoo kickr snap

lambjo

Post by lambjo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:03 am

Been using a Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer T2180 with the latest firmware since October 2015 to ride on Zwift and have been very happy until tonight. Got all ready to ride and when I went to pair Zwift, it couldn't find the trainer. One look at the trainer and saw something new - an amber light. I guess this amber light doesn't only appear after a failed update...

After resetting computer, trainer, iPhone, same amber light and nothing could connect to the trainer. Well, Zwift via ANT+ was attempting to connect to a trainer that somewhat was there but did not transmit any data like power, cadence, speed. Also, iPhone could see the device was there on bluetooth but could not connect to it and thus could not update the firmware via the iPhone to reset the device.

So per Tacx Support at the top of this thread, I found a Windows 8.1 PC, transferred the ANT+ dongle from the Mac I am using for Zwift, waited for Windows to install drivers, downloaded TT4.zip file from http://www.tacxdata.com/files/support/TTS4.12full.zip (that is an hour download for most of us), installed the software, and then browsed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacx\TacxTrainersoftware4\updater\ and ran TacxUpdater.exe via ANT+, selected Vortex, waited a bit for the Vortex to be found, then clicked the Update button, lights blinked on the Vortex during the update cycling from amber to red to finally green. Clicked the OK button in the Updater and shutdown the Windows PC.

Put the ANT+ dongle back in the Mac, fired up Zwift and sure enough, could now pair with the Vortex and ride. Too bad you can update the Vortex firmware via bluetooth for normal updates but when out of the blue it freaks out and goes amber, you must have ANT+ and a Windows PC (one that allows you to find ANT+ drivers - meaning not Windows 7 64-bit) to upload the firmware again to reset the device. For those strictly on Apple devices (Mac/iOS), hmmm...

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”