I-Flow Compatibility with Zwift???

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

El Poncho

I-Flow Compatibility with Zwift???

Post by El Poncho » Sun May 10, 2015 11:13 am

Hi Guys,

Is there a way that I could get my I-Flow to be compatible with the Zwift software?

Thanks in Advance,
El Poncho

ms6073

Re: I-Flow Compatibility with Zwift???

Post by ms6073 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:40 pm

I am afraid Zwift will never be able to control a Tacx legacy trainer like the flow, Fortius, or iMagic.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz | GeForce GTX 870M
Samsung 32" LED TV

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sun May 10, 2015 8:31 pm

ms6073 wrote:I am afraid Zwift will never be able to control a Tacx legacy trainer like the flow, Fortius, or iMagic.
I would never say never, all that needs to be made is a small protocol that can convert the private USB api data into the open ANT+ api (like a kind of translator), you would then just need a ANt+ dongle then (along with the USB cable).

The issue here is how can Tacx profit from doing this? Maybe if there was a charge it could be worth doing? or perhaps along with a the sale of the Tacx ANT+ dongle...

The Flow & I-magic both share the same break so there is a massive user base out there thats way bigger then any other trainer thats capable of simulating hills, actually the Tacx Excel even used this break so there are over 14years worth of trainers out there.. But obviously its way better to get the customer to simply buy a new trainer :wink:

El Poncho

Post by El Poncho » Tue May 12, 2015 7:35 am

Hey TVP,

Thanks for the reply. I will be more than willing to pay for this upgrade? Permitting it is not the price of a new trainer. Problem is have only recently invested in the I-Flow so not so keen to doc up a further $1600 for a new trainer.

Please please please oh pretty please have a look at this...?

Dankie,

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue May 12, 2015 9:07 am

El Poncho wrote:Hey TVP,

Thanks for the reply. I will be more than willing to pay for this upgrade? Permitting it is not the price of a new trainer. Problem is have only recently invested in the I-Flow so not so keen to doc up a further $1600 for a new trainer.

Please please please oh pretty please have a look at this...?

Dankie,
Oh I don't really have any real influence anymore at Tacx, just know that there is a way to make all the legacy trainers compatible with Ant+/BT if there was a reason to do so that made sense for Tacx. But unless there was some kind of profit to be gained I cant see why Tacx or any other trainer company would do this.

dlonerider

Post by dlonerider » Tue May 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Seeing that there are 4 classic TACX trainers supported by Zwift when paired with a ANT+ speed sensor:
Tacx Blue Motion *
Tacx Blue Matic *
Tacx Blue Twist *
Tacx Booster *

Wouldn't it work if you set a certain resistance on the i-Flow to match one of those TACX classic trainers... & then on Zwift profiler, choose that classic trainer? Perhaps someone at TACX support can tell us what resistance setting should work in this scenario?
=============================
TACX i-Flow (TTS4 Basic 4 | Win 8.1 Pro)
48" Mitsubishi 1080i Projection-TV
MSI Intel Z87-G41 motherboard
Intel Haswell G3258 4Ghz O.C. CPU
Radeon HD 5870 1GB
8 GB RAM DDR3-1600
128 GB SSD Drive
XFX 550W 80+B PS

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 pm

dlonerider wrote:Seeing that there are 4 classic TACX trainers supported by Zwift when paired with a ANT+ speed sensor
All that means is that Zwift has acquired the power curves for the non-VR trainers so that Zwift records and displays accurate speed and distance data.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz | GeForce GTX 870M
Samsung 32" LED TV

dlonerider

Post by dlonerider » Wed May 20, 2015 12:20 am

ms6073 wrote:
dlonerider wrote:Seeing that there are 4 classic TACX trainers supported by Zwift when paired with a ANT+ speed sensor
All that means is that Zwift has acquired the power curves for the non-VR trainers so that Zwift records and displays accurate speed and distance data.
I know, but what I'm saying is can we mimic the power curves of these non-VR trainers on the i-Flow (since you can set it from TTS4) by a static resistance level. Then on Zwift, you just basically tell it that you have one of the legacy trainers you are going to mimic.
Radeon HD 5870 1GB
8 GB RAM DDR3-1600
128 GB SSD Drive
XFX 550W 80+B PS

El Poncho

Post by El Poncho » Thu May 28, 2015 6:20 am

Hi All,

I have been in communication with Zwift over the last couple of days. This is the reply which I got from a Tech Guy on their team.

"Hi Dave,
Unfortunately, the only way to truly make the i-Flow trainer work with Zwift is to use a power meter (such as Stages). As stated, we do not have access to their closed channel and, therefore, cannot read the i-Flow's power output. However, we may be able to create a virtual power curve based on the base resistance of the trainer itself.
I'm going to add this to one of our developers to-do list to look into. For now, just to get riding if you'd like (since Zwift is currently free), if you have an ANT+ capable speed/cadence sensor you can pair those instead and choose "Not Listed" under the trainer list. It'll cap you at 200 watts but at least you'll be able to ride our course and check it out.
Hope this helps and sorry I couldn't give you a better answer!"
Eric C.
Community Support Manager
Zwift.com

dlonerider

Post by dlonerider » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:08 pm

I'm using my i-Flow with Zwift... just a Garmin Ant+ cadence/speed sensor & setting it as a classic TACX trainer. It's too bad that Zwift can't harness the "smart" capabilities of the i-Flow, oh well =X
Radeon HD 5870 1GB
8 GB RAM DDR3-1600
128 GB SSD Drive
XFX 550W 80+B PS

tnikolai

Post by tnikolai » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:42 am

El Poncho wrote:Hi All,

I have been in communication with Zwift over the last couple of days. This is the reply which I got from a Tech Guy on their team.

"Hi Dave,
Unfortunately, the only way to truly make the i-Flow trainer work with Zwift is to use a power meter (such as Stages). As stated, we do not have access to their closed channel and, therefore, cannot read the i-Flow's power output. However, we may be able to create a virtual power curve based on the base resistance of the trainer itself.
I'm going to add this to one of our developers to-do list to look into. For now, just to get riding if you'd like (since Zwift is currently free), if you have an ANT+ capable speed/cadence sensor you can pair those instead and choose "Not Listed" under the trainer list. It'll cap you at 200 watts but at least you'll be able to ride our course and check it out.
Hope this helps and sorry I couldn't give you a better answer!"
Eric C.
Community Support Manager
Zwift.com
Here is tacx protocol
http://s017.radikal.ru/i429/1510/02/99bb766ba3af.png
Each 50 milisec Tacx app set 12 bytes to i-flow VR interface and received 64 bytes .
almost all data constant. Only few values used.
I try to send data via usb directly to tacx VR-interface - it work.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:28 am

dlonerider wrote:I'm using my i-Flow with Zwift... just a Garmin Ant+ cadence/speed sensor & setting it as a classic TACX trainer. It's too bad that Zwift can't harness the "smart" capabilities of the i-Flow, oh well =X
Are we talking about the Flow Smart or the Flow? Cause they are VERY different trainers.

korbui

Post by korbui » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:41 am

Hi, i wanted to ask if there was any update on this issue or is it really a case of Tacx just not wanting to "open up it´s books" on these trainers?

tnikolai

Post by tnikolai » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:21 am

korbui wrote:Hi, i wanted to ask if there was any update on this issue or is it really a case of Tacx just not wanting to "open up it´s books" on these trainers?
ANT+ forbide to use old trainers. or need ask Zwift to create non ANT+ compatibility

betski

Post by betski » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:02 pm

if you're desperate to use zwift you could buy a speed and cadence sensor instead.

comparing zwift users strava accounts, it seems there is a big discrepancy in power\watts for some users, ie. some riders are miles faster in zwift than in real life which puts me off using it. not that im a bad loser or anything :lol:

its like bowling or tennis on the wii - anyone can win!

betski

Post by betski » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:13 pm

zwift started bluetooth beta testing yesterday so you may not need to buy a speed and cadence sensor. my non smart vortex was recognised, will test later.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/arti ... wer-Meters

betski

Post by betski » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 am

tested non-smart vortex last night with windows pc. this should work for non smart i-flow, also.

zwift pairs via bluetooth to trainer ok. when racing, zwift does not control gradient changes, ie resistance = 0% so i think they must use a base value for power and adjust mph automatically. My wattage seemed on the generous side at +10-15%. Apple IOS in beta testing, maybe this will control the resistance on the trainer\reflect accurate wattage.

korbui

Post by korbui » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:07 pm

betski wrote:tested non-smart vortex last night with windows pc. this should work for non smart i-flow, also.

zwift pairs via bluetooth to trainer ok. when racing, zwift does not control gradient changes, ie resistance = 0% so i think they must use a base value for power and adjust mph automatically. My wattage seemed on the generous side at +10-15%. Apple IOS in beta testing, maybe this will control the resistance on the trainer\reflect accurate wattage.
Hi,

Thank you for that info. I didn't know that my i-flow was blootooth compatable. How wouldni activate that? .:)

Keriks99

Post by Keriks99 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Just a little heads up, I use my Flow with Zwift without trouble. Using speed/cadence sensor I select Blue Motion as trainer in Zwift and set my resistance on +2 on my Flow. The wattage in Zwift and my Flow seems to follow eachother nicely.

Would however be nice to be able to increase resistance on Flow to get higer watts in sprints etc, but I'll survive as it is

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Not sure how you did that. I tried that yesterday the first time I used Zwift. I set to Blue Motion, placed the Ant_ quite close to the trainer, calibrated the wheel tension, etc. and the power in Zwift was about 20% (~40-50 watts most of the time) below the power showing on the trainer. The workout is still fun but not much use for any sort of structured training. The only way to get close to the power shown in Zwift was by putting the resistance at -3,instantly turning me into a Tdf champion (I wish :) ).

It would really be nice if Tacx could help to resolve this problem. I disagree with certain comments that Tacx has nothing to gain. Zwift is all the rage and clients (such as myself) will be unhappy that their expensive trainers are not well supported and may therefore prefer another company's smart trainer when it's time to upgrade.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”