Cannot attach display on my handlebar

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

timdelma

Cannot attach display on my handlebar

Post by timdelma » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Hello,

On my new i-Vortex, when mounting the display to my handlebar, the straps are way to short to get around my handlebar :-(
Remark: steer is oversized (31,6 mm).
Are there larger straps or is there another solution ?
Most of the bikes these days come with oversized handlebars, so I will not be the first one with this problem...

mcorn

Re: Cannot attach display on my handlebar

Post by mcorn » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Unfortunately, Tacx has not addressed this long-standing issue. If you tug real hard, you can usually make it reach. You can also fabricate some extensions with about 1" or so O-rings. You just loop the O-ring through the end of the Tacx straps and fold it back and loop through itself.

timdelma

Post by timdelma » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:12 pm

mcorn wrote:Unfortunately, Tacx has not addressed this long-standing issue. If you tug real hard, you can usually make it reach. You can also fabricate some extensions with about 1" or so O-rings. You just loop the O-ring through the end of the Tacx straps and fold it back and loop through itself.
Thanks for the reply.
So you say Tacx knows about the issue, but doesn't 'want' to offer/make a solution ?

I have tried to use my old Tacx Flow display because this strap does fit, but I can't get the bolt to stay foot so I have to find another solution.
It isn't easy to find such a short rubber O-rings :-(

If anyone has any other solution(s) please let me know...

gruffle

Post by gruffle » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:38 pm

just use rubber band. or is loads of o rings on ebay.
Design needs update so can hook different size o rings without dismantling.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:43 pm

Actually, it is not such a short O-ring. Remember the amount you are lengthening is half the length of the O-ring.

It is true that people have complained about this problems for many years. It is common to all of the Tacx trainers. They need to manufacture a set of over-length straps.

martin_vortex

Post by martin_vortex » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Its possible (even oversized handlebars) ask a craftsman and not a office worker
I thought of that while riding my bike.
Albert Einstein
On the Theory of Relativity.

Nasz

Post by Nasz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:24 am

For the Fortius controller I use to cable tie mine on! Now I use the spare rubber rings from my Garmin for the Genius controller. Though I did consider mounting it on a piece of pipe at one point to avoid getting sweat on the controller when I was hunched over the handlebars.That way I could mount the pipe on the shelf next to the bike (where my water bottles, mouse and keyboard live).
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy

Old RLV TTS Files / RLV GE Routes / GPX Smoother / TTS4.x RLV Fix / Conconi Test / Training Plans, etc.,
http://www.lunicus.org/tacx.htm

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:16 pm

timdelma wrote:So you say Tacx knows about the issue, but doesn't 'want' to offer/make a solution ?
Not sure whether Tacx perceive that as an issue. After all, nobody wants to have the handlebar unit to move when pressing a button, so it needs to be firmly fixed. I always had to pull hard to attach the handlebar units (Fortius, Cosmos, Genius) to oversize handlebars. We cyclists aren't famous for upper body strength... It may help to warm the rubber rings a bit (I mean dipping in hot water, not heating with the hair dryer until black :wink: )

timdelma

Post by timdelma » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:13 pm

martin_vortex wrote:Its possible (even oversized handlebars) ask a craftsman and not a office worker
Then you can come here to show me.
I'm missing at least 1,5 cm when I'm stretching it the most...

martin_vortex

Post by martin_vortex » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:26 pm

If you are an office worker (desk tiger) you can use pincers/tongs, the bands are very elastic
I thought of that while riding my bike.
Albert Einstein
On the Theory of Relativity.

corsair

Post by corsair » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Wouldn't suggest you stretch the bands too far as mine are already cracking up. I suggest you could put some rubber bands and experiment on the length to gain the proper amount of grip. TACX should perceive it as a problem...

SteveV

Post by SteveV » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm also having this issue with my wife's bike that has 38mm dia handlebars. I'm thinking about ordering this as a workaround:

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Accessory ... WCBPKN6D4J

Silly to have to do this as is should be pretty easy for Tacx to come up with longer replacement straps.

Nasz

Post by Nasz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:37 am

SteveV wrote:I'm also having this issue with my wife's bike that has 38mm dia handlebars. I'm thinking about ordering this as a workaround:

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Accessory ... WCBPKN6D4J

Silly to have to do this as is should be pretty easy for Tacx to come up with longer replacement straps.
I used to have one of these - works well. But good rubber bands/washers are cheaper (not the office variety) from the hardware store! If you have a Garmin with a swivel mount, the rubber bands from that are superb!
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy

Old RLV TTS Files / RLV GE Routes / GPX Smoother / TTS4.x RLV Fix / Conconi Test / Training Plans, etc.,
http://www.lunicus.org/tacx.htm

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:33 pm

The extension should work. If you have aerobars you can get something similar by Profile. But if all you want is to get it to wrap around the oversized handlebars, it is kind of overkill to do this rather than fashion some homemade extensions to the rubber straps as discussed elsewhere.

SteveV

Post by SteveV » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 pm

I ended up ordering the extension rather than screwing around with o-rings to lengthen the rubber strips. As an added bonus, the extension bar moves the controller further away from the sweat "drip zone" which can't hurt. I also noticed that the head unit seems to lose the HRM sensor signal if the head unit is sitting close to horizontal which is the case with my wife's setup (fairly tall handlebar clamp on the stem). The extension bar should allow me to rotate the head unit so the control panel is closer to vertical. I'll post once I install it.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:08 am

SteveV wrote:I ended up ordering the extension rather than screwing around with o-rings to lengthen the rubber strips. As an added bonus, the extension bar moves the controller further away from the sweat "drip zone" which can't hurt. I also noticed that the head unit seems to lose the HRM sensor signal if the head unit is sitting close to horizontal which is the case with my wife's setup (fairly tall handlebar clamp on the stem). The extension bar should allow me to rotate the head unit so the control panel is closer to vertical. I'll post once I install it.
If you have a couple of Fortius trainers, you probably cannot use both HRM's side by side as they are non-coded analog signals. Aside from that kind of interference, the Fortius HRM is usually fairly reliable. Be sure that you don't have something like a laptop power supply causing interference. Trying moving it away from the bike.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”