NEW TACX BlackTrack not working

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

kosta73
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

NEW TACX BlackTrack not working

Post by kosta73 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:22 pm

I have a recently purchased TACX BlackTrack unit. And it seems to be faulty. It worked for a minute when I saw flashing green light after I installed batteries as per instructions followed. When connected to TTS3.10 it detected the BlackTrack no problem. When I clicked on steering calibration TTS3.10 was not doing anything with the calibration, there was no functionality seen or activity seen on the screen? Then I noticed the BlackTrack green light stopped flashing anymore? And since then after numerous battery removal / waiting for a minute or two afterwards, including PC reboots I simply cannot get any green light flashing on the BlackTrack. I also turned the steering wheel to left maximum to try and turning it on, but it simply does not work? Could you please assist me anyone with any similar problems that may have resolved this particular problem?
I am using a TACX Bushido with no problems on latest firmware also to date.
And I did try checking with the TACX analyzing tool, although it does not check the TACX BlackTrack unit?

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Post by mcorn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:30 pm

I would send an email to support@tacx.nl.

However, if removing the batteries for over a minute and then reinstalling does not cause it to flash, it sounds like it is defective. I am sure you are checking the obvious stuff like good batteries and correct battery installation (it is not real clear which way the batteries go - the outline of the postive end of the battery is shown in the battery holder - so be careful you are installing them correctly).

I don't know if a unit can get "locked out" and whether Tacx has any kind of reset command software available.

kosta73
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

Post by kosta73 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for your post mcorn!
Have emailed TACX Support. They have responded a few time, and recenty had come to the conclusion that this TACX BlackTrack unit is faulty. And suggested I contact the seller for Warranty. Now I am it may seem to be a painful lengthy process to send back to http://www.bike-discount.de/ in Germany from Australia. As my local TACX Service Centre http://www.apollobikes.com/ in AUS tells me they cannot help me due to not having any TACX BlackTrack units in stock, also was informed they will not perform any warranty work on the unit as it was NOT purchased from within Australia...even though they don't have any in the country as yet. Thus if they did have spares, they will charge me for parts and repair. Anyone have a faulty BlackTrack within similar problem or not?

Jake
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:14 pm
Location: North East, England

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 pm

I have a similar problem with my blacktrack, what helps me get it working is.
Remove one battery and briefly turn one round the other way, this seem to reset the unit, now when I but the battery in the correct way the green light flashes and I’m able to connect. it does somtimes take a little while t d this but it has worked for me a few times.

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Post by mcorn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 am

Although most electronics have reverse polarity protection, I would still never recommend deliberately installing batteries in reverse, unless Tacx said to do it. My guess is the battery simply has not be left out of the unit long enough. To be safe, leave it out for a few minutes to be sure there is a complete discharge.

kosta73
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

Post by kosta73 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:29 pm

JAKE wrote:I have a similar problem with my blacktrack, what helps me get it working is.
Remove one battery and briefly turn one round the other way, this seem to reset the unit, now when I but the battery in the correct way the green light flashes and I’m able to connect. it does somtimes take a little while t d this but it has worked for me a few times.
Hi Jake, after I already packed up this TACX BlackTrack to be taken to local postoffice and send back to seller. I thought I would give it another go, following your instructions. And amazingly the green light flashing came ON! Also TACX TTS 4.1 did successfully detect the TACX BlackTrack. When I tested VR no steering is working though? So I went back into TTS 4.1 and selected steering calibration, BUT there is no movement of steering showing on screen? Any suggestions?

kosta73
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

Post by kosta73 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:16 pm

kosta73 wrote:
JAKE wrote:I have a similar problem with my blacktrack, what helps me get it working is.
Remove one battery and briefly turn one round the other way, this seem to reset the unit, now when I but the battery in the correct way the green light flashes and I’m able to connect. it does somtimes take a little while t d this but it has worked for me a few times.
Hi Jake, after I already packed up this TACX BlackTrack to be taken to local postoffice and send back to seller. I thought I would give it another go, following your instructions. And amazingly the green light flashing came ON! Also TACX TTS 4.1 did successfully detect the TACX BlackTrack. When I tested VR no steering is working though? So I went back into TTS 4.1 and selected steering calibration, BUT there is no movement of steering showing on screen? Any suggestions?
I would like to state that this TACX BlackTrack is actually now working with steering functionality?!?! I re did the JAKE instructions, re ran TTS 4.1 and somehow the steering calibration worked this time round? I performed a couple different VR rides and steering is NOW working! I would like to thank JAKE for your post which actually gave me an alternative path to try which was eventually successful for me. And thank MCORN as well for your input to the good "so far" outcome!

Additional I noticed when I close TTS 4.1 and see all ANT devices for example the Bushido headunit turning off automatically, also notice the TACX BlackTrack flashing green light stop and turn off. BUT when I go back and start TTS 4.1 seeing it detect the Bushido successfully. But when it comes to detect the TACX Black Track asking me to turn move the steer to the left fully to switch on the BlackTrack handlebar, IT DOES NOT WORK? Thus I have to perform the same thing as JAKE described to get it to power back ON and work???

On the positive it works, although I feel quite dissapointed with this unit's pain in the rear to play around with batteries to get it to TURN ON and work every time I want to use it...?!!! :evil:

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Post by mcorn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 pm

So, you are saying that when you turn the steerer all the way to the left (counterclockwise all the way to a hard stop), the green LED does not start flashing? If that is the case, I still think there is something wrong with the unit. It sounds like the reverse battery installation is simply resetting the unit and allowing it to be detected when first powered on, but for some reason the unit is not retaining its last state.

Not sure if there are any bugs in using the unit with a Bushido, but if this was happening with a Genius it would be an indication that something is wrong with the steerer itself.

kosta73
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

Post by kosta73 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:48 am

mcorn wrote:So, you are saying that when you turn the steerer all the way to the left (counterclockwise all the way to a hard stop), the green LED does not start flashing? If that is the case, I still think there is something wrong with the unit. It sounds like the reverse battery installation is simply resetting the unit and allowing it to be detected when first powered on, but for some reason the unit is not retaining its last state.

Not sure if there are any bugs in using the unit with a Bushido, but if this was happening with a Genius it would be an indication that something is wrong with the steerer itself.

Yes exactly as you said MCORN. I don't think it's the Bushido as I have tried the TACX BlackTrack whilst the Bushido was not recently used/ or not turned ON to test and see if the TACX BlackTrack changes behavior. But no it simply will not wake up if you turn the steer full left. So I agree something is still not right. Will still send back to seller to sort out under warranty. Thanks

kosta73
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

Post by kosta73 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:42 pm

kosta73 wrote:
mcorn wrote:So, you are saying that when you turn the steerer all the way to the left (counterclockwise all the way to a hard stop), the green LED does not start flashing? If that is the case, I still think there is something wrong with the unit. It sounds like the reverse battery installation is simply resetting the unit and allowing it to be detected when first powered on, but for some reason the unit is not retaining its last state.

Not sure if there are any bugs in using the unit with a Bushido, but if this was happening with a Genius it would be an indication that something is wrong with the steerer itself.

Yes exactly as you said MCORN. I don't think it's the Bushido as I have tried the TACX BlackTrack whilst the Bushido was not recently used/ or not turned ON to test and see if the TACX BlackTrack changes behavior. But no it simply will not wake up if you turn the steer full left. So I agree something is still not right. Will still send back to seller to sort out under warranty. Thanks
Hi everyone, thought to let you know this TACX BlackTrack is now fully resolved. Although I had to do this on my own.


Dealing with my local Australian service center to be unhelpful and as well having a problem dealing with my overseas German seller, whom does not have a English written "returns item form" to complete, as it was only in German? I became impatient.

So as someone whom has experience with repairing computers, electronic boards. Felt comfortable to pick up a screw driver and use it well. My thinking was around the consideration knowing the unit does work as explained above, with only the wake up to power on not working. And thought it may be something quite simple to resolve.

So I continued and disassembled the TACX BlackTrack unit. :shock:

There are two plastic panels sitting over the center cylinder which are both facing (metal sides) inwards toward both bottom and top end of the single only electronic board inside. (Be very careful with the torsion spring inside as it may pop out. Please notice how the spring is sitting also before any disassembly performed, in case you need to reinstall it.) The panels are the contact points which run along the electronic board's track when turning the steerer. Whilst looking at the electronic board itself, I noticed it is not quite 100% aligned. It was only about 2 mm off. And I can see on the electronic board's track there are rubbing marks showing the panels are sliding off the track by about 2mm.

So I slightly unscrewed the electronic board's screws, re-aligned it to be absolutely 100% straight, then re-tightened the screws so the board is firmly fixed in this newly aligned position. Re-assembled the BlackTrack. Tested it to be fully functional. Meaning, I can now fully turn left and it does wake up (powers on) with flashy green light, and TTS 4.1 detects it as it supposed too, and works perfectly whilst riding VR, etc.

The original problem with the BlackTrack is that when you turn left the panels running along the electronics board track was going off the track slightly by about 2 mm thus losing contact and may have been shorting itself, as I had to perform the battery reset to get power on as explained further above. "Now no more battery reset necessary!" So performing my own disassemble / re-aligning of the electronic board / and reassemble the unit. Has fixed this problem.

Yes I understand I decided to take my own judgment and risk to try and resolve this issue, and happily can say it was a very simple and successful resolution.
:D

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Post by mcorn » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:55 pm

That's a good description. Did you by chance take some pictures?

One thing that I and others have noticed is the steering is not as smooth as we would like. Did you see any place where some silicone grease could be applied or any adjustments to the bearing mechanism?

kosta73
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

Post by kosta73 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:58 pm

mcorn wrote:That's a good description. Did you by chance take some pictures?

One thing that I and others have noticed is the steering is not as smooth as we would like. Did you see any place where some silicone grease could be applied or any adjustments to the bearing mechanism?
Hi MCORN unfortunately when I did it late yesterday was not prepared to consider a step by step instructions including photos. Although I did think this would of been nice after the fact everything was tested successfully. Might consider to go through the process again and take some snapshots.
With regards to the steerer panel you place your wheel on. This is actually screwed to two plastic plates which is on the inside of the unit. Meaning you will need to disassemble the unit to see and access those screws. I did in fact loosen and retighten them to 4nm, to ensure they equally tensioned. In fact all the screws are tensioned equally at 4nm during reassembly. Also you can apply some minor amount of additional lite grease around the edge of the round rim the plates are sliding against for better feel. I did not do this as I felt there was enough already there in place. I do believe it is a combination of having the screws all at the same tension suggest 4nm should be enough including some grease applied lightly by a finger smear if necessary as described above. Again I warn for everyone to pay attention to the torsion spring inside as it may pop out during the removal of the back panel. It may be tricky or difficult for some to reinstall it.

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Post by mcorn » Tue May 01, 2012 4:08 am

Regarding the spring, it is preloaded to a certain reference point? The unit wants to autocenter, so I gather the spring is working in two directions.

I did try some lube on the outside, but it only helps slightly. I can't quite tell where the bearing surfaces are.

kosta73
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

Post by kosta73 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 pm

mcorn wrote:Regarding the spring, it is preloaded to a certain reference point? The unit wants to autocenter, so I gather the spring is working in two directions.

I did try some lube on the outside, but it only helps slightly. I can't quite tell where the bearing surfaces are.
The round torsion spring has two straight ends, which are anchor points. The trick is to cross these end points across each other thus they are securely against the center rectangular post just below the centre cylinder. Thus the bottom panel also has a rectangular block which when installed sits between these two end points of the spring. So when turning the spring will always centre the steerer. Sorry I do not have photos to better explain this clearer.

Regarding where the steerer sliding surface is, the north and south section of the steerer has a panel on the inside the external steerer is screwed into, as I explained in previous post. Thus if you spray slightly some wd40 in the gap north and south of steerer it should improve movement. Although as I said in previous post, I believe having ensured the screws are at the same torqued tension for example I think 4nm suffices. Then you can say both north and south plates are equally sliding left and right, overall improve a balanced turning feel.

klmklmklm
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Post by klmklmklm » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:53 pm

and when i heave all done that and it goes than not connect what to do than.?only green lichts goes the rest is ok

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Post by mcorn » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Has it ever connected or worked? If not, you need to remove the batteries for a full 5 minutes and then go through the initial process again. If you only take the batteries out for a minute or so, it does not reset.

klmklmklm
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Post by klmklmklm » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:15 pm

mcorn wrote:Has it ever connected or worked? If not, you need to remove the batteries for a full 5 minutes and then go through the initial process again. If you only take the batteries out for a minute or so, it does not reset.
Has it ever connected or worked?now
it seems it dont work for me.i think i dit everything but now connect

Any reason why it not connect?
windows 7 64 pc not connect windows 7 32 laptop not connect why can that.the rest all connect

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Post by mcorn » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Do you have a Genius? Is the other hardware connecting?

See my prior note. You need to take the batteries out of the bottom the Blacktrack and let it sit for 5 minutes. Start the software and go into the Device Wizard. When you get to the Blacktrack, you should click on connect and then put the batteries back in. A green LED should flash on the Blacktrack and the PC should find it. Be sure that the USB ANT+ dongle is on an extension cord and the dongle is located next to the Blacktrack.

I think most of this is covered in the online manual as well.

klmklmklm
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Post by klmklmklm » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 am

[quote="mcorn"]Do you have a Genius? Is the other hardware connecting?

See my prior note. You need to take the batteries out of the bottom the Blacktrack and let it sit for 5 minutes. Start the software and go into the Device Wizard. When you get to the Blacktrack, you should click on connect and then put the batteries back in. A green LED should flash on the Blacktrack and the PC should find it. Be sure that the USB ANT+ dongle is on an extension cord and the dongle is located next to the Blacktrack.

Do you have a Genius?yes i heave and software 4.3

Is the other hardware connecting?yes it is all connect in 5 second but not the blacktrack


When you get to the Blacktrack, you should click on connect and then put the batteries back in. A green LED should flash on the Blacktrack and the PC should find it. Be sure that the USB ANT+ dongle is on an extension cord and the dongle is located next to the Blacktrack.
think most of this is covered in the online manual as well.So i do but the blacktrack will not connect.

Thankx for your help

klmklmklm
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Post by klmklmklm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 pm

whit new software not connect the blacktrack

Post Reply

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests