Vortex calibrated but wheel slips

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

StephenU

Re: Vortex calibrated but wheel slips

Post by StephenU » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 pm

Well, I've been able to return my Tacx Vortex to a an acceptable an working state.. I'm able to calibrate the wheel with enough tension so the tyre does not slip. Pedaling is once again smooth..

As Alex Suggested, this is what I did
- Downloaded and installed the TTS suite, just so I could get the Tacxupdater software. Apparently you don't need to download the whole thing, just this.. https://yadi.sk/d/1J53YYde36LahA The day I tried to grab the update, the link wouldn't work, but I see it is now.. This is much faster than downloading the whole TTS suite.

This is all done on the same PC you have your Ant+ USB adapter plugged into.. (used for Zwift etc)

- Download the old firmware file. VER_firmware_0274.bin

- Launch the Updater software (ensure the Internet connection is off, or the updater software will automatically look for an get the updated and problematic firmware that seems to have caused the problem to begin with) AS Alex mentioned, the Updater software will allow you to browse to where you have the firmware files.. Chose the Vortex, and the Vortex Brake.. Update it, if I remember, the light goes Amber while its updating.

- Fire up the Tacx utility and try calibrating.. (seemed to calibrate ok for me now)

- Next I logged into Zwift and tried a ride. My power and ERG mode were not working well. Wattage peaks and valleys even while ERG was supposedly on. I ran the updater again it seems to have worked better this time.. (Not sure why!)

- since then, Tacx has sent me this file which they claim is .0.3.7 / this is the file I requested as I knew it was working great last winter.
https://support.tacx.com/attachments/to ... cxfirmware
the downloaded file is named ver_firmware_0274.bin. (same size as the _0274 file I found at their archive site. I questioned them on this and they insisted it was 037.. strange! Not sure what kinda games they are playing.. anyways I applied this firmware..

(Now I just went again to the link they sent and its offering a different file, which is over twice the size and requires renaming to a .bin file. No idea what they are doing!)

If someone wants to try that .037 file offered, let me know how it goes.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 pm

StephenU wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 pm
https://support.tacx.com/attachments/to ... cxfirmware

Now I just went again to the link they sent and its offering a different file, which is over twice the size and requires renaming to a .bin file. No idea what they are doing!
This link has a file with this name: Vortex037.tacxfirmware
This is a regular zip-archive. Rename the file to Vortex037.tacxfirmware.zip and open it with an explorer.
Here you will see three files, the names of which speak for themselves:
FLUXbrake_037_G.bin :shock:
TacxWirelessBrakeInterface_3_1_17.hex
update.json

How should we assess the support?
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 pm

FLUXbrake_037_G.bin :shock:

How should we assess the support?
Strange. You tell me.

As in the earlier post, my older Vortex Smart Firmware versions are in the format VER_firmware_####.bin.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Listen, but, judging by the version numbers, Flux and Vortex can have the same firmware!? :shock:
For me, this is an incredible discovery ...

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 pm
Listen, but, judging by the version numbers, Flux and Vortex can have the same firmware!? :shock:
For me, this is an incredible discovery ...
Would you like to be the Guinea Pig for trying Flux FW on a Vortex or vice versa? (If they are not compatible, it should not load.)

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:24 am

mcorn wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:39 pm
my older Vortex Smart Firmware versions are in the format VER_firmware_####.bin.
Why do you keep them a secret?
mcorn wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:56 pm
Would you like to be the Guinea Pig
The Guinea Pig is the object of the experiment (passive and weak-willed). The one who does the experiment is called an experimenter.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 am

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:24 am
mcorn wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:39 pm
my older Vortex Smart Firmware versions are in the format VER_firmware_####.bin.
Why do you keep them a secret?
mcorn wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:56 pm
Would you like to be the Guinea Pig
The Guinea Pig is the object of the experiment (passive and weak-willed). The one who does the experiment is called an experimenter.
They are just pretty old versions. The most recent Vortex Smart FW I have in my files is 0274. I do not think I have any later versions as the Android updating system does not appear to leave it on my device.

"Guinea Pig" is a figure of speech not to be taken too literally, but sometimes experimenters experiment on themselves, so be my guest.

StephenU

Post by StephenU » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:04 am

I'll try the FLUXbrake_037_G.bin file shortly on my vortex..

And yes... the file set the firmware on my Vortex Smart to 0.3.7. using tacxupdater and then verified with the Android tacx utility. Calibration was ok. Zwift test still to come...

Zwift Failure.. Calibrated on to the right of center in the Utility to allow for tyre warmup.. Worked ok at lower wattages, but higher wattages in the 240-270 range induces tyre slippage, especially if cadence slowed to around 65. There was no way I could stand on the pedals to mimic stnad climbing without tyre slippage.

Rolled back to .0274 and re-calibrated.. Zwift performance better at higher wattage with no slippage, and I could stand climb at low cadence at the higher wattage..

I really don't know what the solution is here.. For now I think I will leave it at 0274..

As an added note, Tacx support insisted I MUST use an Iphone to update to the 037 version, even after I told them I used the Tacxupdater program.. I don't know why they would insist on this. Again, a bit confused because they have not explained why I must use the Iphone to apply the 037 firmware..
:)
Please follow these steps on an iPhone.

1. Remove the Tacx utility app and download the latest version from the App store
2. Then send this mail to your iPhone mail. Then open the mail on your phone (with the attachment) and select the attachment
You are asked if you want to open this with a couple of apps. Select the Tacx Utility app
The App will open the moment you select it

Select UPDATE
Then update again... At 50% you are asked to take of the power from the brake but this is NOT needed. Do not unplug. Just press ok. De update will continue. If the update stops and is halted after 1 minute (so stuck at 50%) then do take the power off the brake and plug it back in. Now repeat the process point 2 and continue the update
Kind Regards
Tacx Support

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:16 pm

StephenU wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:04 am
And yes... the file set the firmware on my Vortex Smart to 0.3.7. using tacxupdater and then verified with the Android tacx utility.
Rolled back to .0274
For now I think I will leave it at 0274..
I want to thank you, Stephen, for your perseverance in researching the possibilities to install the desired (and not imposed) firmware version. You even managed to achieve what was previously considered impossible: get the firmware file version 0.3.7 from the support.
StephenU wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:04 am
As an added note, Tacx support insisted I MUST use an Iphone to update to the 037 version, even after I told them I used the Tacxupdater program.. I don't know why they would insist on this. Again, a bit confused because they have not explained why I must use the Iphone to apply the 037 firmware..
:)
Thanks to your experiment, we now know that there is another way to change the firmware. The main thing is to have a bin-file.

Jiggle Poof

Post by Jiggle Poof » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:52 pm

Holy mother of gawd, that's complicated ;)

Let's just say none of this is helping recovery from an injury. I'm planning on skipping the calibration, setting the tension the same way I would on a "dumb" trainer (i.e., tire is compressed but not smooshed-very, very technical) and turning the smart trainer setting to minimal in Zwift tonight. Hoping it works as I desperately need to do low/no tension rides for a while, ugh.

poggs38

Post by poggs38 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:22 am

Hi Guys,
I have the exact same issue. Trainer was working perfectly at end of last winter season. Put it away in Tacx protective case, Got it out 3 weeks ago, was prompted to do a firmware update and since then calibration is exactly the same issues as you are having.
I have battled for the last 2 weeks, sending no end of repair tickets to Tacx, each time. I get a reply about 2 days later telling me to do what I have already told them I have tried in previous emails. They even told me to buy a new trainer tire as they should be replaced yearly. Mine was only purchased at end of last training season, but I bought another one anyway - same problem. On at least 3 occasions I told them this fault only happened since firmware update - not a single acknowledgement from them that maybe they would consider this.
2 days ago, they contacted me and told me that my Vortex must be faulty and to return it to my distributor for repair. I contacted my distributor that informed me that the cost would be at least £130 and probably not worth it.
Early this morning I discovered this thread, so it would seem I was correct all along. This is my 4th Tacx turbo - had a forties that died and had to be replaced and this Vortex Smart where the first one died after 2 months. I have had enough of Tacx - they don't appreciate that the consumer has bought these trainers to continue their training and it if there is an issue, it must be dealt with swiftly.
Anyway rant over. I have ordered a Wahoo Kickr now. When Tacx decide to sort their firmware out, I will update the Vortex and sell it Tout Suite! Shame, I love the software.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:33 pm

poggs38 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:22 am
When Tacx decide to sort their firmware out
History shows that you can not rely on this!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Tacx support leaves a lot to be desired. Often it sounds like an auto-reply rather than a real person.

poggs38

Post by poggs38 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 am

Quick update guys.
I finally seem to be getting somewhere with Tacx. I forwarded a link to this thread, saying I am not the only one with this problem since the latest firmware update. I got the following reply:
Hilko- Tacx support team (Tacx)
Dec 20, 07:29 CET

Dear Dave,

We will check it. We did do a check in the past and found no issues anymore
But we will double check the calibration values for the Vortex. It is not a problem if you tighten it and it is in the red zone on the right. It is just a correction value that is send. More important is that it does not slip, because that brings all kinds of other troubles

Thanks for the feedback and we will come back on this.

Kind Regards

Tacx Support

Jiggle Poof

Post by Jiggle Poof » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:34 pm

poggs38 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 am
Quick update guys.
I finally seem to be getting somewhere with Tacx. I forwarded a link to this thread, saying I am not the only one with this problem since the latest firmware update. I got the following reply:
Hilko- Tacx support team (Tacx)
Dec 20, 07:29 CET

Dear Dave,

We will check it. We did do a check in the past and found no issues anymore
But we will double check the calibration values for the Vortex. It is not a problem if you tighten it and it is in the red zone on the right. It is just a correction value that is send. More important is that it does not slip, because that brings all kinds of other troubles

Thanks for the feedback and we will come back on this.

Kind Regards

Tacx Support
Except it's such an issue in Zwift that you cannot use Zwift with it "in the red zone" or even at the max end of normal end. Your speed an cadence do not translate correctly to Zwift with it all the way at that end. So yeah, not having your tire slip is great. Not being able to compare how you are doing this year with last year SUCKS. (And now I must go look at baby bat videos to uplift my spirit, lol)

ljickr

Post by ljickr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:05 pm

I have bought Vortex Smart before few days.
I am every day trying to calibrate it and connect it to zwift.
If the calibration is in green zone , wheel slips.
If it is in red zone, grips ok , but zwift is unusable. The grade of 3% is sometimes so hard that you can not even drive, and sometimes no resistance at all.
I have good tyre pressure, trying to not tight it to hard, but rubber is all over my room.
Now when i saw this post i am sure its not my fault. So angry that i didnt bought wahoo which was my second choice.
I bought it only because reviews where good for vortex (but probably recorded before last firmware).

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:55 am

The way to correct the situation in this topic is indicated. Your further complaints here by themselves will not help.
I will repeat once more how to return to the old firmware:

1) download the Updater from here (no installation required):
https://yadi.sk/d/1J53YYde36LahA
unpack the archive.
Do not perform this step if you have installed the TTS4 and the Updater is already in the folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacx\TacxTrainersoftware4\updater

2) download the firmware 0.2.7 from here:
http://patches.tacxdata.com/data/files/ ... e_0274.bin
(You can also try to get firmware 0.3.7 - FLUXbrake_037_G.bin from this zip-archive, but testing done by StephenU shows that this firmware is worse than firmware 0.2.7.)

3) for the firmware procedure is also required to have an ANT+ antenna for which you need drivers. If such drivers are not yet installed, download them from here:
https://yadi.sk/d/9jp3UJKk33UFb4
unpack the archive and run the file TacxDriversSetup.exe as administrator.
Do not perform this step if the drivers for the ANT+ antenna already installed (for example, when installing Zwift or TTS4).

4) when ready, place the trainer as close as possible to the ANT+ antenna and run the file TacxUpdate.exe from the folder with the Updater. Before you run the utility disconnect the Internet, otherwise the utility will report that there are no updates.

ljickr

Post by ljickr » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Deos somebody have 0.2.7 version (which is in .bin format) in same format as 0.3.7 ?
I updated 0.3.7 without problem through Iphone app Tacx utility.
For 0.2.7 i dont have ANT+ (i connect with mac and bluetooth), and in .bin format, Tacx utility is not opening file.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:37 pm

ljickr wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:03 pm
Deos somebody have 0.2.7 version (which is in .bin format) in same format as 0.3.7 ?
I updated 0.3.7 without problem through Iphone app Tacx utility.
For 0.2.7 i dont have ANT+ (i connect with mac and bluetooth), and in .bin format, Tacx utility is not opening file.
Try this: https://yadi.sk/d/AgBH5AgV3QuwMH

ljickr

Post by ljickr » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks! Just downgraded firmware, to 0.2.7 - will tell difference as soon as i test it.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”