New Tacx Neo first impressions

General discussion about the ANT+ Trainers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

thebigoneinfront

Re: New Tacx Neo first impressions

Post by thebigoneinfront » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:25 pm

There‘s a part on Neo accuracy a bit down in Titaniumgeek‘s report on a visit to Tacx. Unless you are talking about 15W too low @ 1500 W there should be someone at Tacx who cares. http://titaniumgeek.com/the-house-that- ... dventures/

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:15 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:25 pm
There‘s a part on Neo accuracy a bit down in Titaniumgeek‘s report on a visit to Tacx. Unless you are talking about 15W too low @ 1500 W there should be someone at Tacx who cares. http://titaniumgeek.com/the-house-that- ... dventures/
I am sure there are a lot of people who care. It often comes down to cost and what customers are willing to pay. It's known as the triple constraint, iron triangle, etc. Having very high demands in terms of accuracy and reliability inevitably raises the cost and increases the schedule. And accuracy may be affected by things that are not tested in the factory or things that happen to the product after it leaves the factory.

But I had not seen this article and it does look like they put a fair amount of work into brake quality.

I think there are other approaches to accuracy as well, such as using existing high grade industrial motors rather than having to build your own from scratch. I am probably not as crazy about plastic as I would be willing to have heavier metal components if it kept cost down and increased the strength and longevity of the product.

kostyap

Post by kostyap » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:43 pm

mcorn wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:15 pm
...I am probably not as crazy about plastic as I would be willing to have heavier metal components if it kept cost down and increased the strength and longevity of the product.
Increasing strength and longevity metal components do, keeping the costs they do not. Quality metal costs small fortune.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:47 am

kostyap wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:43 pm
mcorn wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:15 pm
...I am probably not as crazy about plastic as I would be willing to have heavier metal components if it kept cost down and increased the strength and longevity of the product.
Increasing strength and longevity metal components do, keeping the costs they do not. Quality metal costs small fortune.
I was thinking more of frames and supporting structures rather than investment castings or expensive machined metal.

Return to “Tacx Bushido/Vortex/Genius/Neo”