TDA slow, film download incredibley slow

https://www.microsoft.com/nl-be/store/p ... 40kx?rtc=1

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

Johrider

TDA slow, film download incredibley slow

Post by Johrider » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Having issues this morning trying to run the software. Downloaded films will not load, and it seems the software is running at a snails pace. I re-booted my computer a few times, re-started the software a few times. Checked my internet speed, (it is good)......
I see the films that I have downloaded, but when I go the start them, it just sits there with the little wheel spinning. I have waited for several minutes (5-15 minutes) and nothing will load. (I have tried different films when I re-started the TDA app)The buttons on the screen do not work and the only way to get back is to shut the software down.
I used the software yesterday and it worked fine. But I tried downloading a film yesterday and it was only 15% complete after 8 hours..... I stopped the download then. This seems to be happening a lot lately. Like I said earlier, I checked my internet speed and it is good....
I am finding this really frustrating when I want to do a work out and I spend over an hour trying to get a film up and running.
I have been using this software since the beta version and have not had this issue before. Not sure why this is happening now and why I have soooooo much trouble downloading films now. It used to take maybe 20-30 minutes to download films.
Any suggestions?????
Thanks
Jeff

martin_vortex

Re: TDA slow, film download incredibley slow

Post by martin_vortex » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 pm

The same here
I thought of that while riding my bike.
Albert Einstein
On the Theory of Relativity.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 pm

These all sound like cloud issues rather than the TDA app itself. I have not ridden today, so I cannot confirm.

geoffa1969

Post by geoffa1969 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 pm

I have exactly the same issue and it has just started recently.

Although TDA is full of minor and irritating bugs, all of which I keep reporting to Tacx yet they do NOTHING about, this latest one is a deal breaker so I have threatened to request a refund of my annual HD subscription (and my wife's) under my statutory rights. Like you, I am tired of waiting ages to be able to ride anything now.

Laurens

Post by Laurens » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:33 pm

It seems that when I read the messages on this forum, this speed problem has been around for a number of years, but still no solution. Not desirable, of course; to wait a few hours for your download before you can cycle. I have a monthly subscription, it probably stays with this one month. I used BigringVR before. Both the download and on-line stream speed what you can expect.

geoffa1969

Post by geoffa1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 pm

It is nothing to do with download speeds.

I have most of the films downloaded but when I launch TDA in the last week (but not before), the app hangs or crashes regularly while searching through films in the list.

It is now utterly useless and so unreliable.

Laurens

Post by Laurens » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm

geoffa1969 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 pm
It is nothing to do with download speeds.

I have most of the films downloaded but when I launch TDA in the last week (but not before), the app hangs or crashes regularly while searching through films in the list.

It is now utterly useless and so unreliable.
The download speed is still very low; often lower than 1 MB/s (in my case).

kostyap

Post by kostyap » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:10 pm

Laurens wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm
If you have 1MB (assuming that it is megabyte, not megabit) then I would call it reasonable, can download few videos overnight. Nevertheless download speed also depends from peering connectivity level for video hosting service. The same host can be very fast for one customer and very slow for the other if their respective ISPs are not under decent peering conditions. Globally high download speed can easily make the whole idea unprofitable. It is tough in the era when "instant satisfaction" becomes the main feature

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:34 pm

kostyap wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:10 pm
Laurens wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm
If you have 1MB (assuming that it is megabyte, not megabit) then I would call it reasonable, can download few videos overnight. Nevertheless download speed also depends from peering connectivity level for video hosting service. The same host can be very fast for one customer and very slow for the other if their respective ISPs are not under decent peering conditions. Globally high download speed can easily make the whole idea unprofitable. It is tough in the era when "instant satisfaction" becomes the main feature
I typically get a total TDA video download speed of between 15 to 30 Mbps (~2 to 4 MBps). If I am downloading more than one video, it is divided between the videos. I have a fairly fast Internet service (250 Mbps or ~30 MBps), so that is not the limiting factor for me. Being on the west coast of North America, I may not be competing with other downloaders, so I might do better than others. Some videos seem to have a faster download rate than others. I also assume it is possible that a high demand video might take longer with more downloaders waiting in line.

martin_vortex

Post by martin_vortex » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm

For me it is not the download speed, but sometimes (last week) the waiting for ages to get the list of the films, even if I only tick the films already downloaded. But generally speaking I'm happy with the value for money
I thought of that while riding my bike.
Albert Einstein
On the Theory of Relativity.

cycling2011

Post by cycling2011 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:17 pm

martin_vortex wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm
For me it is not the download speed, but sometimes (last week) the waiting for ages to get the list of the films, even if I only tick the films already downloaded. But generally speaking I'm happy with the value for money
I agree with all you say in your post :wink:
I download during the night and i do not know or care if it takes minutes or hours,as long as it completes.Its this spinning and waiting for the list of rides to load.Sometimes its fast and other times its painfully slow. :(
i7-8700k,6 Cores,3.7GHZ,4.7GHz Turbo.
Asus Strix Z390-F Mother Board.
16GB Ram 3000 MHz.
MSI Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB.
250 GB SSD.
4TB,2TB,2TB WD HDs Storage.
Neo 2
TDA Beta.TTA Beta.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Everyone gets tired of the spinning circles (Microsoft's current version of the hourglass). Perhaps Tacx will come up with more effective caching strategies to reduce some of this.

Johrider

Post by Johrider » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Me again. I am at the point of giving up. Over the past 2-3 weeks I have had no success in downloading a film. I have about 20 films downloaded, so it's not like it didn't work for me before. I will leave it run overnight and it is at 22% downloaded, for example. I am sure it has just stopped, timed out..... I have hard drive space, my internet is good, I did a disk clean, I have tried during the day, over night, on the weekends, not sure what else to do.

The system works great and I have always been able to do a ride with the videos that I have downloaded, and I do the workouts from the cloud no problem. It just seems right now I can't down load a video. I could put a support ticket in, see what happens there.....
Very frustrated right now...........

geoffa1969

Post by geoffa1969 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:32 am

I have always found downloading to be slow, right from the original beta early in 2018. Nevertheless, downloads have typically worked fine and I have some 120+ downloaded now. I have done this gradually over the year because my internet speed is poor and no good for streaming videos from other similar apps like BKool.

Like others, the last 2 to 3 weeks has been dire, with the app crashing regularly, freezing and just plain hanging. I have noticed, however, that once a ride does load, it still works fine, so it is 'just' the initialisation phase that seems to have caved in due to recent app updates.

I have also been aware for months that the filters are very flaky. For example, if you mark a film as a favourite, then subsequently 'untick' it at a later date so it is no longer a favourite, it still shows in your favourite list. This has been an issue for months but is not a massive problem for me. Tacx Support knows all too well about these issues and others as I have hit them with support tickets multiple times and had lucid conversations with them. Whether or not they do pass on these issues to their developers as they promise, I can only trust their word, but I am yet to see many of the bugs fixed even though they have been around since February last 2018 and have been reported.

Fortunately, just tonight, I have noticed that the films now seem to be loading much more quickly and far more reliably than the last 2 to 3 weeks, despite my still slow broadband (I'm not on a fibre connection and have just 3.5MB/s). It is still slower than it really should be, but it seems this is more due to bad programming or zero caching, so this could be fixed in due course. Again, they know about the issue all too well.

One tip if it helps anybody. After opening the app and logging in, if you know the film you want, as soon as the cursor becomes 'live' so you can click, click on 'Films' and then click on the free text search at the top right. Type a small part of the film name (eg galib for Col du Galibier). Don't type the full name as sometimes this does not work either, even if exact. Tacx know about this bug too.

BY searching for 'galib', for example, only that film shows in the list and you will find it then loads quickly. That's how I've been getting 'roun the last 2 to 3 weeks issues.

hope this helps.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 am

Johrider wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 pm
Me again. I am at the point of giving up. Over the past 2-3 weeks I have had no success in downloading a film. I have about 20 films downloaded, so it's not like it didn't work for me before. I will leave it run overnight and it is at 22% downloaded, for example. I am sure it has just stopped, timed out..... I have hard drive space, my internet is good, I did a disk clean, I have tried during the day, over night, on the weekends, not sure what else to do.

The system works great and I have always been able to do a ride with the videos that I have downloaded, and I do the workouts from the cloud no problem. It just seems right now I can't down load a video. I could put a support ticket in, see what happens there.....
Very frustrated right now...........
What kind of connection do you have - wired or wireless. (I hope you are not using a powerline distribution system.) If you have the option of using hard-wired, you might give that a try.

Johrider

Post by Johrider » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 pm

I have a wireless connection with extender. I tried both connections, extender and from router. I could hard-wire connect to the router because I use a laptop. I will try the tips from geoffa1969 and see if that helps. Before 2-3 weeks ago I could download a film in 45 minutes to an hour.
Thanks
Jeff

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Johrider wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 pm
I have a wireless connection with extender. I tried both connections, extender and from router. I could hard-wire connect to the router because I use a laptop. I will try the tips from geoffa1969 and see if that helps. Before 2-3 weeks ago I could download a film in 45 minutes to an hour.
Thanks
Jeff
You can do a very easy test. Take your laptop to the router, plug it in, and do a download. The results of that test can either confirm or eliminate your wireless connection as a source of the problem. A wireless issue is always a first suspect to eliminate.

geoffa1969

Post by geoffa1969 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 am

I can confirm that the problems are absolutely nothing to do with whether the user is on wireless or LAN. The problems are entirely due to some server side or programming issue with TDA which have arisen over the last 3 weeks or so.

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:14 am

If that were the case, seems like there would be significantly more posts on the matter. My guess is that your ISP is imposing speed limits on your internet after a certain threshold has been reached. You could find the answer by running a speed test prior to starting a download and then repeat the test a few minutes into the download.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz | GeForce GTX 870M
Samsung 32" LED TV

Return to “Tacx Desktop app (TDA)”