3D GPS Rides

https://www.microsoft.com/nl-be/store/p ... 40kx?rtc=1

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Nasz, Lunatix

User avatar
Tacx Video Production
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by Tacx Video Production » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Download Topofusion its a GPS program I use it a lot & if you can get a GPX into that & save it as a GPX that file should Im fairly sure work in Tacx Cloud. http://topofusion.com/download.php

User avatar
wasupwitdat1
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by wasupwitdat1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 pm

Actually Ride With GPS should be better than Strava because I believe it can use any type of file format and the mapping features are far more precise than Strava's and in opinion better than Garmin Connect. I do all my course creations in Ride With GPS because it is more detailed then I can choose what type of file I want to upload the course to any other APP.
NEO W2017
TTS4 4.22.7.0
Sony 49X900E 4K TV
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
Intel i7 3770 @ 3.9 GHz
16Gb Ram @ 1600 MHz
Nvidia GTX 980 4095 GDDR5 Mem
Samsung 840 Pro 256G Hard Drive
Corsair 860 PSU
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 pm

wasupwitdat1 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 pm
Actually Ride With GPS should be better than Strava because I believe it can use any type of file format and the mapping features are far more precise than Strava's and in opinion better than Garmin Connect. I do all my course creations in Ride With GPS because it is more detailed then I can choose what type of file I want to upload the course to any other APP.
Yes, I like Ride with GPS, a lot. I'll try the program you mentioned but I would think R-w-G would be better than most.

bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:24 am

still nothing

User avatar
Tacx Video Production
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by Tacx Video Production » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 am

can you link to the ride you want as a GPX inside TDA?

bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 am
can you link to the ride you want as a GPX inside TDA?
sure, it's a few of them. is there any way i can send files if need be?


bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:15 pm


bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:55 pm

I've tried everything and no luck

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7575
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by mcorn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 pm

I tried to import a couple of files I downloaded from your links into TDA and got the same error message after 2 or 3 minutes. I then tried an older GPX file that I had used with TTS and it imported successfully.

I was able to import those two files into a number of GPS reader programs (Garmin's Mapsource, 3D Route Builder, and the demo version of Topfusion suggested by Phil.) My guess is there is some kind of minor problem in the formatting of these files that TDA does not like. Sometimes, it is something very simple, like an incompatibility in the GPX's header. I did notice that 3D Route Builder wanted to convert the file from GPX 1.0 to GPX 1.1, but I did not let it do that. I might give that a try later.

So, it is hard to know what to say at this point. I am confident that some GPX files work fine in TDA, but others do not. It would be nice if Tacx had a simple tool you could run on your own PC to check for compatibility rather than waiting a long time only to find out it does not work. There are a number of GPX file repair. This site advertises that it attempts to repair corrupted files. I imported the GPX and exported as a GPX and downloaded it back. I have not had a chance to see if it works, but I note that 3D Routebuilder no longer wants to convert it to GPX1.1 format.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7575
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:50 am

I ran the Alpine Valley GPX file separately through both 3D Routebuilder and GPS Visualizer and created converted files with each program. The file can be downloaded here (same link as provided by bigskypylot):

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28701692 ... cdhGt6ng9b

As stated above, the file from this link would not import to TDA. However, after doing the conversion in the two different programs, they each imported without any problem. Not sure the reason, but as stated above, this is not uncommon for GPX files.

bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:12 am

Wow. Thanks. I'll sit down this weekend and try. Not sure why Ride with GPS files wouldn't work. Will check it out. Thanks for your help!

User avatar
Tacx Video Production
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:12 am

Cool Mike is this all solved then? I would have done the same as Mike here, if you open & then save a suspect file in topofusion it will format the GPX file in its own way & so far they all work for me. This program goes back to the dawn of time & can open just about everything.

bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:28 pm

I thought I saved it correctly in topofusion and didnt work. I'll try again. Operator error I guess :P

bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:05 pm

mcorn wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:50 am
I ran the Alpine Valley GPX file separately through both 3D Routebuilder and GPS Visualizer and created converted files with each program. The file can be downloaded here (same link as provided by bigskypylot):

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28701692 ... cdhGt6ng9b

As stated above, the file from this link would not import to TDA. However, after doing the conversion in the two different programs, they each imported without any problem. Not sure the reason, but as stated above, this is not uncommon for GPX files.
Just used your Alpine Valley Loop file and it did the same thing, it said it could not be processed....

bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:12 pm

perhaps i misunderstood your post, i ran it through topofusion and saved as gpx exchange and seems to work now. i will try all the others, thanks so much for the assistance.

bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:22 pm

one more question, so on the Alpine Valley Loop, a loop I've ridden quite a bit, it shows max slope of 6%. I know for a fact that on the Kniep Rd. section, the max slope is 18% or there abouts. I don't have a file anymore of my ride there as I don't live back there any longer so I just created the route in ride with gps and used topo fusion to convert it. Am I missing something? Thanks!

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7575
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:15 pm

bigskypylot wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:12 pm
perhaps i misunderstood your post, i ran it through topofusion and saved as gpx exchange and seems to work now. i will try all the others, thanks so much for the assistance.
You have to do the same thing with the GPS Visualizer website. The process is first to upload the file. After you do that, you then export the file as a GPX. I know it works for this file, so I think you have to hunt a little bit on the website to find the links for doing this.

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7575
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:19 pm

bigskypylot wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:22 pm
one more question, so on the Alpine Valley Loop, a loop I've ridden quite a bit, it shows max slope of 6%. I know for a fact that on the Kniep Rd. section, the max slope is 18% or there abouts. I don't have a file anymore of my ride there as I don't live back there any longer so I just created the route in ride with gps and used topo fusion to convert it. Am I missing something? Thanks!
Looks like Topofusion and 3D Route Builder says the maximum grade is about 15%. When you import to TDA, you have a selection for 3 different smoothing settings. Smoothing takes out instantaneous grade changes, so it is possible reduced a very short section, but I would not have expected that much of a change.

bigskypylot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: 3D GPS Rides

Post by bigskypylot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 pm

i did a second time with low smoothing and it went from 6.2% to 7.9% So yeah, it smoothed A LOT lol :P

Post Reply

Return to “Tacx Desktop app (TDA)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests