Enhancement suggestions for the TDA developers

https://www.microsoft.com/nl-be/store/p ... 40kx?rtc=1

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

biggsy

Enhancement suggestions for the TDA developers

Post by biggsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to pass some feedback to the developers of the TDA? (and if so, how?).

I'm a recent adopter and there are a changes that would make the software a bit more 'friendly'.

In case anyone's interested these are (in no particular order):
  • Add 'Settings' option to hide the simulator if a 'real' device has been previously registered even if not currently signalling (e.g. a Bushido won't announce itself until you pedal it)
  • Make the filter panel selections 'sticky', e.g. if I've selected to filter the films by their 'Downloaded' status, keep this setting until I change it (even after quitting and restarting the app)
  • Same idea for the scrolling info panel - if I've selected the option to have the info panel (top left) auto-scroll keep my selection until I change it (even after a restart of the app)
  • Add option to show HR as %max (this may already be possible but I don't have a compatible strap yet so apologies if this is already possible)
  • Add option to show power as W, W/kg, %FTP, etc
  • Add option (don't know if this will screw something up) that make the display of speed and distance consistent between TDA and e.g. a Garmin head unit - it bothers me slightly that TDA (and TTS4) read a speed and distance that bear no relation to the readouts on my Garmin yet power and cadence are fine. Since the Tacx software clearly can't influence the Garmin it would be nice if the TDA app stopped doing whatever it is doing to the sensor data its receiving that makes these readings so far adrift
Don't know if these suggestions have resonance with anyone else? Anything anyone else would like to add?

Overall I'm a bit of a convert as I think the app, and the film quality, are really good, just be really nice if it was a bit more configurable to each user's requirements.

mcorn

Re: Enhancement suggestions for the TDA developers

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:24 pm

biggsy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 pm
  • Add option (don't know if this will screw something up) that make the display of speed and distance consistent between TDA and e.g. a Garmin head unit - it bothers me slightly that TDA (and TTS4) read a speed and distance that bear no relation to the readouts on my Garmin yet power and cadence are fine. Since the Tacx software clearly can't influence the Garmin it would be nice if the TDA app stopped doing whatever it is doing to the sensor data its receiving that makes these readings so far adrift
A number of these have been suggested and I think some are in the works. However, there will always be (and always should be) differences between reported speed and actual wheel speed because there are conditions under which the reported speed is virtualized and not actual. As a result, it would "screw something up" to have them be the same. Power and cadence are never virtualized even though they may not be highly accurate at times, which is why a separate cadence and power meter are useful.

Spiix
Developer

Post by Spiix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:32 am

We do read the forums, we can't reasonably reply to every topic though.
As mcorn said, some of your requests are in the works/are in beta testing.

The app right now just contains the basics, user customization will be get added gradually as we release more versions.
Right now we're working on a big version 2 that will add a few new big features

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 am

biggsy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 pm
I can answer this one, the issue is one of simply educating the customers about what is going on & on this Tacx is failing. TDA is a simulation of the real world so your speed as seen & recorded inside the software should be (when climbing or on the flat) very close to what you would do in the real world in ideal windless conditions. This means if you start heading up the Ventoux or Alpe d'Huez your time to the top will be close to your real life time on these climbs & not something faster then Armstrong.

Now your speed on the Garmin will be completely dependent on the ability of the trainer your on to replicate the needed speed. The two speeds will diverge or be different most of the time if your on say a Genius your speed will be much higher on a climb & much lower on the descents, If your on a Flow or Vortex your speed would be massively slower then real life on a descent & massively faster on steep grades when climbing.

This is why all VR software that I know of (including Zift) use watts based Virtual speed. If we used Garmin speed inside TDA then all the simulations would become fictional with crazy speeds.

biggsy

Post by biggsy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Excited to hear about the next release - can't wait to see it!

Think I knew that about the virtual speed already, I had just forgotten :oops: - think I'll change the layout on my head unit to omit those two metrics

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:45 pm

biggsy wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 pm
Excited to hear about the next release - can't wait to see it!

Think I knew that about the virtual speed already, I had just forgotten :oops: - think I'll change the layout on my head unit to omit those two metrics
I have a couple of trainer bikes, one with a Garmin and one with a Polar head unit. Sometimes its interesting to see the difference between actual wheel speed and virtual reported speed. Many times they are close, but at others it can be either higher or lower.

miannini

Post by miannini » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:59 pm

My list of wished features:

1) ANT+ compatibility for older Tacx trainers and for all sensors.
2) Genius brake calibration would say hello.
3) Video selection screen and their details should be downloaded and stored, checking for new videos only upon TDA start. It´s a pain to wait for it to reload every time you apply a filter or check the video details. Sooooooo time consuming...
4) Widgets could be re-sizeable and moveable on the screen. I would make most of them smaller.
5) Previously connect bluetooth devices would be automatically selected once they are detected, even in mid-workout.
6) Cloud setting would appear in a window, not open your web browser.

That would make this great software even greater! As a friend (who´s a computer program developer) said: it´s a great software once you finally get to riding, but until you get there, the interface user friendliness is really awkward.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 pm

miannini wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:59 pm
My list of wished features:

1) ANT+ compatibility for older Tacx trainers and for all sensors.
2) Genius brake calibration would say hello.
3) Video selection screen and their details should be downloaded and stored, checking for new videos only upon TDA start. It´s a pain to wait for it to reload every time you apply a filter or check the video details. Sooooooo time consuming...
4) Widgets could be re-sizeable and moveable on the screen. I would make most of them smaller.
5) Previously connect bluetooth devices would be automatically selected once they are detected, even in mid-workout.
6) Cloud setting would appear in a window, not open your web browser.

That would make this great software even greater! As a friend (who´s a computer program developer) said: it´s a great software once you finally get to riding, but until you get there, the interface user friendliness is really awkward.
3 and 5 are currently being looked at.

Calibration not being inside the app is a decision Tacx took for various reasons, the only way calibration now works (in combination with TDA) is calibrating in the utility app.

Return to “Tacx Desktop app (TDA)”