limit of 30 rides per month

https://www.microsoft.com/nl-be/store/p ... 40kx?rtc=1

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Nasz, Lunatix

rgurney

limit of 30 rides per month

Post by rgurney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 pm

TDA has a limit of 30 ride routes per month rather than being allowed to use the full 40 available. Don't understand why that is?

mcorn

Re: limit of 30 rides per month

Post by mcorn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 pm

rgurney wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 pm
TDA has a limit of 30 ride routes per month rather than being allowed to use the full 40 available. Don't understand why that is?
Not sure there is a why so much as it is just how it is priced. Many subscription type programs limit in one way or another the number of titles you can access in a given period. Each download costs Tacx money for server time so they are balancing that against the monthly fee that is charged.

30 per month actually seems pretty generous to me, but of course you have to maintain your subscription in order to have continuous access. Although Tacx information on this point is not real clear, I believe that if you suspend your subscription and then rejoin, your prior downloads are accessible once you rejoin.

Tacx still has not posted a formal subscription agreement, but there are some FAQ's:

https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... pplication

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am

Mike has answered this but I can add that the 40 rides you see are just the tip of the iceberg, it should be 60 this week & in two weeks it will be over 70. By mid-summer we will be way over 100 rides & still be growing. The limit is to stop someone downloading terrabytes of video footage for a single monthly subscription. Its effectively a new ride every day which is probably more then most will ever ride...If there was a rider out there that was doing more then 1 new ride a day then they should contact me for the RLV Beta test team :wink:

If you have downloaded some rides then stop using TDA for the summer & come back you will not need to re-download the rides if you point the software to the same folder the file sits in.

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am
.....If you have downloaded some rides then stop using TDA for the summer & come back you will not need to re-download the rides if you point the software to the same folder the file sits in.
Is that indeed the case Phil? I could easily see Tacx/Aim/(& who's doing the cloud?) actually counting a "repoint" as a new download, as you currently have to do a faux download to "repoint", resetting everyone's ride library to just 30 rides if they let their subscription lapse. This would of course be FUBAR, as repointing does not cost Tacx any hosting fees. Along the same lines, if a rides film (m4v) changes, requiring a re-download, does this count towards one's 30/mos limit? As Mike aptly said, this really has to be clearly stated in an EULA, and the answers should be "no" and "no".

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:22 pm

I can imagine them counting a re-link as a download also :D

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:22 pm
Did you mean "can" or "can't"? If you intended to say "can", then you would be saying that if you suspend your subscription and then rejoin later, the relinks would count towards your 30 per month limit even though a full download is not required. I think this is a fairly important issue for the terms of the subscription program.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:48 pm

mcorn wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:18 pm
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:22 pm
Did you mean "can" or "can't"? If you intended to say "can", then you would be saying that if you suspend your subscription and then rejoin later, the relinks would count towards your 30 per month limit even though a full download is not required. I think this is a fairly important issue for the terms of the subscription program.
I mean I can imagine it Mike, not that its a fact ;-). Tom just said that officially already downloaded & re-linked rides 'DO NOT' count towards the 30 ride download limit so that part is cool for the customer. When you relink this is done locally & nothing is sent to the cloud which is where your downloads are counted.

Johrider

Post by Johrider » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:31 pm

I am signed up with the monthly subscription using 720 video. I plan on letting my subscription drop for the summer and pick it up again in the winter when the weather is bad. My question is, if I upgrade my subscription to 1080 video, what happens to the videos that I have already downloaded at 720? I assume that I would have to load the same video again in 1080 and, would it over write the old one, or would there be 2 versions of the same video?
I see no issue with putting a limit of 30 video a month to download. First of all, you would spend more time downloading videos than actually riding, and who would have the time time ride a video every day. (I guess it could be done, theoretically) Just my thoughts on that subject.....
Cheers
Jeff H

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi Jeff, downloading a 1080p version of a ride you already have the 720p for will likely count against your quota, as it incurs the full hosting costs for Tacx.

Here's a clarification of what counts against your quota from Tom (lead developer) on the Facebook page:
Tom Claus: Don't know where on the forum this is, but i'll clarify it here for now as someone linked this to me:
Repointing will not cost you a download. We do this check locally and no cloud calls get made.
Re-downloading the same film in the same month will never cost an extra download.
Re-downloading a film months later will count towards that months quota regardless of the video file changing or not.
So re-pointing never adds to the download tally.
Hope this clarifies it. Tacx does need to update their EULA to specify many of these things and i expect they are working on this.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Edgarini wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Re-downloading a film months later will count towards that months quota regardless of the video file changing or not.
It would be useful to know about later re-downloads caused by: (i) cloud or software bugs that cause either a loss of the video file on the user's pc or the software's inability to recognize a previously downloaded video file, or (ii) corrections or updates to the original video file.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 pm

mcorn wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm
Edgarini wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm

It would be useful to know about later re-downloads caused by: (i) cloud or software bugs that cause either a loss of the video file on the user's pc or the software's inability to recognize a previously downloaded video file, or (ii) corrections or updates to the original video file.
Mike its 30 rides a month which is 360 different rides a year, if a ride gets updated or changed normally it should not be an issue, by the end of the year anyone downloading all 30 will have run out of surplus films to download & will be waiting for new releases which will never be 30 a month. If anyone out there is doing more then 1 ride a day every day then they should contact me to join the Beta RLV Team lol . If I update a video file then I do not think I would let everyone know about it. All the rides are 1st tested anyway.. I can see myself doing a recolouring of a ride but really that could happen once a year on a single ride & it would be only for personal vanity reasons.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Mike its 30 rides a month which is 360 different rides a year, if a ride gets updated or changed normally it should not be an issue, by the end of the year anyone downloading all 30 will have run out of surplus films to download & will be waiting for new releases which will never be 30 a month.
Doesn't really address the question, but I agree that this is going to be a high-quality, wide and diverse library of good rides. Just to avoid misunderstandings, users like to know what they are and are not entitled to as part of a subscription.

Your free offer sounds like US steakhouses that used to give you a 64-ounce steak for free if you could eat it all in one sitting.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Saw this post on Facebook so will copy paste my reply:

Repointing will not cost you a download. We do this check locally and no cloud calls get made.
Re-downloading the same film in the same month will never cost an extra download.

Hope this clarifies it.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:13 am

Lunatix wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Hope this clarifies it.
So, I think you are saying all downloads of the same video in a later month count towards the tally regardless of the reason for the download.

That means if there is a need for a re-download in a later month and that problem is caused by: (i) cloud or software bugs that cause either a loss of the video file on the user's pc or the software's inability to recognize a previously downloaded video file, or (ii) corrections or updates to the original video file, then it will count towards the tally.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:16 am

Mike I think you did not get my meaning, in that you can download 360 different films over a year & we have 40 in the collection, would be years before we had enough rides where anyone with a year subscription would need to be bothered about not being able to download. The issue right now is simply one of informing the userbase that it’s not a great idea to directly download 30 films... main reason will be regular releases of new routes. You should download what you actually ride. In an ideal world your downloads would be limited to how often you actually ride.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:41 am

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:16 am
Mike I think you did not get my meaning
I got your meaning. With TDA, we are swimming in a sea of plenty so don't worry about the one that got away (unless, of course, if the one that got away is a favorite ride which you can no longer download in the current month because you have used up your quota).

I'm simply asking for clarification on the rules of the game so there are no misunderstandings.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 pm

mcorn wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:13 am
Lunatix wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Hope this clarifies it.
So, I think you are saying all downloads of the same video in a later month count towards the tally regardless of the reason for the download.

That means if there is a need for a re-download in a later month and that problem is caused by: (i) cloud or software bugs that cause either a loss of the video file on the user's pc or the software's inability to recognize a previously downloaded video file, or (ii) corrections or updates to the original video file, then it will count towards the tally.
Mcorn,

Yes. It used to be that way. There have been many discussions about this so I'm not 100% sure (We don't set any of the quota's or even "tell" the cloud to add a number to the quota of a user, we start a download and somewhere the cloud decides if it counts towards the tally or not)

But the latest i remember was that in the same month of when you started a download you can re-start that download as many times as you want. Regardless of quality.
Up to a max of X a month. (Date from purchase of the license+30days)

But if you do that same movie 6months later. It'll again count to the tally of that month.
I'll ask Tacx to write an official statement about this somewhere, as i'm not part of all of the quota discussions as TDA actually does nothing with it.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 pm

In my opinion, the limit is set in such a bad way that it does not solve the task. To prevent excessive load on servers, it is necessary to set a limit of 1-3 rides per 24 hours.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 pm
In my opinion, the limit is set in such a bad way that it does not solve the task. To prevent excessive load on servers, it is necessary to set a limit of 1-3 rides per 24 hours.
Its not the server load its the cost of downloading that needs to be managed so the subscription can be as low as possible for everyone. Every GB costs Tacx money to deliver. We added 21 rides today so I guess there will be a fairly good spread on the servers rather then a peak on one particular ride...could be something to think about though later on if they do events & such though!

Return to “Tacx Desktop app (TDA)”