Using Garmin heart rate strap with TDA

https://www.microsoft.com/nl-be/store/p ... 40kx?rtc=1

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

biggsy

Using Garmin heart rate strap with TDA

Post by biggsy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to use a Garmin HR strap with TDA? Mine is picked up by my Garmin head unit and TTS4 just fine but doesn't appear in TDA

I'm sure no-one's going to tell me I have to buy the Tacx HRM are they...?

Loek

Re: Using Garmin heart rate strap with TDA

Post by Loek » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:04 pm

TDA doesn't work (yet) with ANT+ HR straps, only with Bluetooth straps. See also the topic here: viewtopic.php?f=590&t=34698.

biggsy

Post by biggsy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi,
Thanks for that - you say "Yet" - do you know if support is definitely coming for ANT+ straps?

Loek

Post by Loek » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Not certain, but likely. See also the statement here: viewtopic.php?p=205970#p205970.
Tacx Video Production wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 am
Ant+ & legacy trainer support will probably come in the next months. They have 2 different ways to workaround the lack of a official driver for the windows apps platform. So that will come eventually.

biggsy

Post by biggsy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks - guess i need to just sit tight and wait - been a long-time fan of TTS4 so its going to take some big reason to drop it in favour of TDA.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Tacx has not been encouraging about being able to add ANT+ capability to TDA, so don't hold your breath.

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:28 pm

biggsy wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:14 pm
.....its going to take some big reason to drop it in favour of TDA.
If you haven't yet, you should try it biggsy. Besides what will before to long be access to over 150 films films and counting, along w/ many spectacular new ones which will be TDA only, the film quality is noticeably improved and the user interface much better IMO. The slope and altitude feedback make the climbs much more manageable from a psych standpoint, as you see yourself ticking of the hm's on long climbs and knocking off the insufferable sections on the colored slope profile. Just my $0.02.
Last edited by Edgarini on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggsy

Post by biggsy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi Edgarini,

Gave it a go this morning - quite impressed bu the UI and information available but disappointed to see that what works fine with all my other kit is not supported in TDA - to have to add a new HR strap to get HR when I already have one that works fine is a big disappointment.

@mcorn - that's a slap in the mush - disappointed to hear that. Surely that's just another barrier to take-up? Seems a bit short-sighted to me

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:17 pm

biggsy wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:28 pm

@mcorn - that's a slap in the mush - disappointed to hear that. Surely that's just another barrier to take-up? Seems a bit short-sighted to me
The basic issue as I understand it is because Tacx chose to use Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app platform in Windows 10 which requires that all drivers be certified and because no one has or appears to be likely to create a signed (certified) ANT+ driver for UWP, the prospects for ANT+ compatibility in TDA are not very good. If TDA had not been created as a W10 UWP app that you obtained exclusively through the Microsoft Store, this problem would not have existed. But they are too far in in the development of TDA to change that strategic decision.

Seems like a silly obstacle, but that's what it is. Dynastream, owned by Garmin, says it has no intention of going through the Microsoft driver certification process. See the Dynastream Developer comment #5 here:

https://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/6512/

There are no doubt some contributors to this forum who understand why it may be difficult to create a certified ANT+ driver for UWP. I am assuming that if it was a simple task, Dynastream or other potential developers of UWP apps using ANT+ hardware would have done so. I suspect that there may be some deeper ANT+ hardware or chip issues involved here. Being the main source of ANT+ technology, you would think that Dynastream would have a big incentive to find a fix for this problem. Otherwise, they just lose to Bluetooth.

biggsy

Post by biggsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 pm

@mcorn - great reply, thanks! Certainly explains something that had passed me by completely.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma now as I would like to use TDA but i still want to record heart rate. I don't know if my Garmin will play with a bluetooth HR strap 'cos if it won't them i'm properly stuck

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 pm

biggsy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 pm
@mcorn - great reply, thanks! Certainly explains something that had passed me by completely.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma now as I would like to use TDA but i still want to record heart rate. I don't know if my Garmin will play with a bluetooth HR strap 'cos if it won't them i'm properly stuck
You have a few alternatives if your Garmin device will only receive ANT+ signals. One is to buy a dual ANT+ Bluetooth HR strap, such as the Wahoo Tickr. I have not tried the Tickr, but I do use a Wahoo dual ANT+ Bluetooth combo speed/cadence sensor. It works great and you can use it with ANT+ and Bluetooth simultaneously. The other thing is you can do is buy a separate Bluetooth HR strap and wear your ANT+ strap at the same time to give you both types of signals, which I have done as well. I use a Polar H7 Bluetooth HR strap. It has a good price and works with all my Bluetooth devices.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:11 pm

The Wahoo Tickr works fine with a Garmin and with the TDA. Even concurrently.

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 pm

I have a Coospo BLE & ANT+ HR transmitter from Amazon that works perfectly with TTS4 and TDA. Nearly half the price of a Wahoo Tickr.
Neo Smart
TTS4 4.22.6.0
TDA
Windows 10 64bit
Intel Core i3 540 3.07ghz
4GB Memory
ASUS AMD Radeon R7 240 2 GB DDR3
BenQ W1070+ 1080P HD Projector

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Tommo wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 pm
I have a Coospo BLE & ANT+ HR transmitter from Amazon that works perfectly with TTS4 and TDA. Nearly half the price of a Wahoo Tickr.
I see that Coospo also makes a ANT+/BT combo speed/cadence sensor at a good price as well (both of these products are about half the price of Wahoo's comparable). However, I also notice that on the US Amazon site almost 25% of Amazon customers give both of these products a 1 star rating, which makes me nervous. If you read the 1 star reviews, it looks to me that the company may have various quality control problems so I would be a little reluctant. But I agree that at half the price of a Wahoo unit, the price is very good, so it might be worth the risk. Amazon does have a good return policy if you want to go through the hassle.

Johrider

Post by Johrider » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:21 pm

I just bought a ANT+/BLE heart rate strap and BLE speed and cadence sensor from Bontrager at my LBS and both units works fine with TDA. The nice thing with Bontrager gear is the 30 day money back guarantee if something doesn't work. Even their clothing is returnable.

biggsy

Post by biggsy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:13 pm

@Tommo - did you have to do anything special for TDA to recognise the CooSpo HRM?

I've just got one (the H6 model) - TTS4 pairs with it on the ANT+ network and my Garmin Edge connects to on BT(!) (so I know both networks are transmitting), but TDA doesn't recognise it at all.

This is kind of a bummer as I bought this strap specifically for use with TDA so any advice you can offer would be most welcome.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:25 pm

biggsy wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:13 pm

I've just got one (the H6 model) - TTS4 pairs with it on the ANT+ network and my Garmin Edge connects to on BT(!) (so I know both networks are transmitting), but TDA doesn't recognise it at all.

This is kind of a bummer as I bought this strap specifically for use with TDA so any advice you can offer would be most welcome.
Are you trying to use it with BT and ANT+ concurrently? Although my Wahoo speed/cadence sensors working concurrently, this one may not. For starters, be sure that when you are running TDA there is no ANT+ antenna connected to the PC and that you have not used the HR strap with any ANT+ device recently (in other words, give the strap time to shut down).

Also, be sure that the HR strap is not actually at the bottom of the TDA screen. If you have multiple devices, you have to scroll down to see them all.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Is it possible now to connect one BT sensor to multiple receivers? Wondering whether having the HR strap connected to the Garmin via BT prevents its connection to TDA.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:39 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 pm
Is it possible now to connect one BT sensor to multiple receivers? Wondering whether having the HR strap connected to the Garmin via BT prevents its connection to TDA.
That is a good observation as well. I would certainly rule out that possibility by being sure there are not multiple connections.

Spiix
Developer

Post by Spiix » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 am

Your Bluetooth heart rate strap can only be connected to one receiver.
However, one receiver can connect to multiple data providers (for example, your pc can connect a Tacx trainer and a heart rate strap but your Tacx trainer and heart rate strap can only be connected to your pc)

Return to “Tacx Desktop app (TDA)”